Like Tree0Likes

Entry level power boat??

Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

My Boats: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
I disagree with your disagreement. Raylar Engine has excellent naturally aspirated upgrades to 600hp for the 496.
Raylar has some great engines, but expensive for the power you get. The 496HO is just junk as it comes stock. Sorry, but it is true.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Banned

My Boats: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain4402 View Post
I would stay stock if I were you until you get a feel of how it runs and the maint cost. For that size and price range you can probably get into anything. Now if you are looking for newer used than you probably would have to stick to Baja, Checkmate, anything else 2000 or newer is probably out of that price range. I had the same range as you did a year ago and I picked up a 91 29ft Fountain with new engines. Older boats can be a real value, but ensure to go over them with a find toothed comb. Personally I would not buy an older boat with over 400-500hrs unless the engines have been rebuilt/replaced. As far as size if you have been above a bass boat maybe stick with a 25-27 range, as you get bigger and thats a whole lot of boat
My 28 cat went 100 on bone stock 496's. What would a 28 V-hull run with same power, 80mph maybe.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: 07 Nordic Rage 4 *sold*

original post asked about an entry level, first timer powerboat.
I feel a 25 - 30 ft boat with a 496 ho is a great boat for that situation. A great turn key that delievers many performing hours with basic maintainence. txsdukhntr also stated a budget of 30k. If you working on budgets your certainly not looking for major upgrades on engines. I hope txsdukhntr the best and believe that his most reliable choice would be with a 496.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
My 28 cat went 100 on bone stock 496's. What would a 28 V-hull run with same power, 80mph maybe.
Ughhhhh, slow your roll Elimnordic. First of all, the superboat y2k does 78 with a single 496ho. I'd imagine with twins, it's be in the mid 80's to 90's. If you could put twins in a kryptonite, lavey, or phantom, I'd guess those same numbers. Second of all, the 496HO is a great motor for WHAT IT IS. You could leave those WOT all day and never break down. Actually, my buddy with the y2k would do that-- and he loved them. Thirdly, I'd rather be going 70mph in 3 footers in a V than not being able to touch a 3 footer going more than 40mph in a cat. You're not comparing apples to apples. Cats, especially smaller cats are good for lake water, especially if your a beginner boater! If you have any kind of rough water, stay away from cats as a beginner. They're much less forgiving than a v hull and insurance will be nearly impossible to obtain, not to mention EXPENSIVE.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain4402 View Post
Yeah I didnt understand that rant.

Anyways OP hope you find what you want. A lot of people directly or indirectly plugging their boats and guys talking about 100mph boats and boats that are 35ft long. Yeah well good luck. I suggest 24-27ft single engine. Stay away from these big 500 plus blocks, superchargers, turbos, etc. until you get your feet wet.
What are you not understanding
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28 Skater 2.5's

I would definitely say ,that any cat, in any configuration is not a beginners boat.. You want a nice stable, forgiving, easy to handle boat.. and sure,, if you can get something with a motor you can modify in the future , go for it.. Just remember , just because you can afford to buy it , doesnt make it the right boat for you..
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1973 Magnum Sedan 27'O/B

txsdukhntr, Check out this boat : www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o39004-en.html It's within your budjet. "HIGH LIFE"
Old 04-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Registered

My Boats: PQ 260/Laveycreft 29MCOB/ Now Boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsdukhntr View Post
I'm looking into buying a powerboat for the first time and I'm wanting to know some things to look for and things to stay away from..boats, motors and outdrives..I have owned high performance bass boats ,bay boats but new to this...I'm looking for boats 25' to 30'...Thanks for any words of advice...
I would seriously look at a PowerQuest, this is your first performance boat, and you want a reliable, stock boat that you can learn on. They do everything very well and there are a few 260SX out there for sale, the boats are awesome in the rough, and last through the beatings. The PQ aren't the fastest, but they do everything really well. If you keep yours up like mine, they hold their value in that range, sold mine 1000 less than what I what I paid 3 yrs ago. Not like some guys taking $10-30k loses.

IMHO don't let speed be your guide on your first boat, the boat should be a compromised on just about all areas. Then bump up to another boat when you're ready.

Good Luck
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

My Boats: Cigarette - "90MPH" Edition

Whatever brand you decide on is obviously up to you, but I would definitely buy a twin engine boat whatever it ends up being.

If you buy one that's been taken care of with "stock" power, like 350's, 454's, 502's, etc, it will be turn-key & reliable, as well as MUCH easier to handle around the docks, & a LOT more fun out on the water than a single engine boat.

You will eventually, if not immediately, want twin engines, so don't risk time & money by not going ahead with one now. You're better off buying the best boat you can afford to own & maintain the first time, especially with the used market being so uncertain. You could end up sitting on a boat you became bored with quickly, for much longer than you anticipated, if you don't buy what you really want from the start.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Registered

My Boats: 08 25 Daytona 600sci, 01 Hammer 454Mag MPI

Howard makes very good v bottoms. 25 or 28 bullet. A merc 525 in either of these boats would run over 80mph and last forever. Just remember a 28 - 30' twin is going to burn much more fuel than a slightly smaller single engine.