Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat wanders side to side at idle speeds, Why? >

Boat wanders side to side at idle speeds, Why?

Notices

Boat wanders side to side at idle speeds, Why?

Old 04-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 25ft single engine V hull did it really bad when I would idle through the channel. I hated it!!!! But it was fine when I was not idling. I have a cat now and it is straight as an arrow
Old 04-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Would it make any difference on a twin setup if the props turned in or out?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of my twin engine side by side boats did it. The 30' was worse than the 35'. My 370 is bad too. The gladiator is staggered turning in, nice and straight. The first two boats had hydraulic steering too.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Banned

I have had singles and twins and the single engines all wander more that the twins. It's something you get used to in no wake zones. Often times I am messing around when coming in and my wife says it does that to keep me seated and at the wheel instead of walking around on auto pilot not paying attention
Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Mine does it too. I have the toe set out less then 1/8". Checked all connections and bushings and everything was tight. Figured thats just the way it is. I did add tabs last year and that has helped when they are lowered.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I have had singles and twins and the single engines all wander more that the twins. It's something you get used to in no wake zones. Often times I am messing around when coming in and my wife says it does that to keep me seated and at the wheel instead of walking around on auto pilot not paying attention
Mine says the same thing.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Wink Problem Solved

I thought I would post the results of what I found and what worked.
I spoke with Jerry Barron at Hallett boats and he said that the drives should be exactly parallel, mine were toed out more than 3/8". So I adjusted the tie bar so that they were exactly parallel. That fixed the problem by at least 50% or more.

Then I put the K-Planes all the way down while idleing as recomended one of the posts. The end result is that the boat now tracks straight as an arrow and has no tendency to wander.

There is about an 1/8 turn of play in the mechanical steering cable, so I am going to go with an Imco full hydraulic set up and then I think I will be 100% good.

Thanks for all of the input.
David
Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Registered

My Hammer also wonders at idle.....and yes typically if you point it in the right direction and let it go, it will wonder in a straight line....believe it has a lot to do with hull design...that is if your steering is tight.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jlbspd
My Hammer also wonders at idle.....and yes typically if you point it in the right direction and let it go, it will wonder in a straight line....believe it has a lot to do with hull design...that is if your steering is tight.
All single engine V's wander due to prop torque
Old 02-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found it happened with shorter boats. Half of what keeps the boat straight is the water passing the sides.
Thats why IMO there is better tracking with the cats I have had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.