Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing >

I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing

Notices

I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing

Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a car dealership and it's diff with watercraft. There is no salvage title in fl for boats. From a legal standpoint doesn't matter what dealer says to you its whats on paper. And id paper says "as is" that is what it is. If dealer has clean title which you got he is under no obligation to tell you anything. He can says whatever he wants. Whatever you find out and question can be dealt with in civil court but most the time the dealer wins.
None of this is right by any means and they should work with you. They will buy time until you go away. That is usually the plan. Stay on top of them and annoy them. Get an attorney to send a demand letter.
They might not have known as well since the title will not say it.

Last edited by GTOFFSHORE; 04-20-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

what exactly makes a boat a salvage??? I mean, could the guy have ran out of gas, seatow showed up and pulled him back to the dock, labled it a salvage because he was within 500 miles of washing up on a beach somewhere and put a lean on the boats title to collect their $10,000???
Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

I agree with Poker~N~Run....I manage a new car dealership and automotive titling enforcement is done by the DOT and different rules apply for boats. In Iowa the DNR controls boat registrations. We also have a boat sales license and no damage disclosure is required on boats, although other states may be different. If the seller was aware of the prior damage you might have an opening for a settlement...Goodluck!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

I really appreciate all the feedback. All this is very helpful. I hope to find out soon why the boat was salvaged. I do know that it was a total loss and an insurance company paid. Then after they paid, it was declared salvage. I found this out cause the dealer in question did some repairs to this boat, which in my opinion caused more problems to where I had to get my insurance company involved. They ran a history with the Insurance Service office and found the salvage. I will post details as I get them. A guy from the dealership where it was sold new actually remembers the boat. I kinda wonder why he remembers it 8 years later. I'm waiting for his call back.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cpiefer06
Was it financed?
If so banks do not loan on salvaged titles and they will kick the deal real quick! Even if it was washed let then in on what you know and they will take matters into their own hands, trust me. Because they don't want it any more than you do and probably less.

Also from a car dealer perspective "AS IS" does not mean salvage is ok and would have to be disclosed prior to sale or recourse could be sought.

I am in IL as well and I do believe they are titled, we did title work on both of ours, and the bank has it right now.
This is very interesting. Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

That dealer is in BIG trouble....
Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dodgeman111
I...I had to get my insurance company involved. They ran a history with the Insurance Service office and found the salvage.
Would the dealer have had insurance on the boat? If yes, then their insurance company might have ran the same check which might prove the dealer knew it was salvage.

For sure, if the dealer isn't willing to "make it right", I would never return to them or recommend them to anyone...every!

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dodgeman111,,post some pics of the boat,,,someone on here might know what happened to your boat
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
dodgeman111,,post some pics of the boat,,,someone on here might know what happened to your boat
My avatar is the boat.. I'll post a few more pics. That's a good idea
Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

The sinking pic is why I found out it was previously salvaged. So far I know it was sold new in Destin, FL late 2002 by Legendary Marine. It was totaled by insurance September of 2004. Anybody remember this boat ?
Attached Thumbnails I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing-66012_168357033175339_100000031300086_576021_4971335_n.jpg   I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing-2019.jpg   I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing-2012.jpg  

I was sold a salvaged boat without knowing-img_0260.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.