Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
midnight express question??? >

midnight express question???

Notices

midnight express question???

Old 05-27-2002, 11:37 PM
loosecannon22

Default midnight express question???

One of my good friends has a 37 midnight express. It was an old drug boat that was bought cheap, and it is stripped on the inside. we go out only when hurricanes are around or really big seas and just jump the heck out of it. It has twin 500 carb motors with trs drives and it is as wide as an ox 9 foot beam I think. the boat loves NASTY water but I have only heard of one other. I know its old and heavy but it still runs a respectible 63-65 on gps with these motors. I like it because of how big the cockpit is even with transmissions taking up the extra foot or two. Whats the deal with these things?? how many where made and so on. I know that the company is still in business making fishing boats, but what happened to the performance line? I am sure someone here knows the story.

Old 05-27-2002, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have any answers to any of your questions, but had to add my own M.E. story.

I was in the Bahama's in "88 for my honeymoon, strolling the docks at port lucia marina and stopped to admire a offshore boat docked there. It was a M.E., and I'd never heard of them before. It had a raised area on the deck similar to a bullet. There was moss growing on the hull and drives over an inch thick. Looked like it had been there for a long time, without moving. While we were inspecting it, looking it all over with lots of intrest, a Bahamian Police officer walked up and asked why I was interested in the boat. Told him all the above, and I wondered if the owner might be interested in selling it as he was not using it. That made the officer very interested. Long story short: It was a confiscated drug runner's boat, and the office thought I was involved. Visions of rotting in a bahama jail popped in my head. I must have looked like a scared little kid, cause the officer told me to just leave the boat alone, and I could not get out of there fast enough. It looked like a nice boat, and I'm glad you started this thread.

Chart
Old 05-28-2002, 12:20 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i have a video tape of one on lake erie, it had like 4 or 5 outboards on it. looked like a monster. it was black with purple stripes. very similar to the ocean x's. looked cool
Old 05-28-2002, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don arronow boat not many made . also made a couple of cats. A friend of mine has one here in cinci, has 2 1100hp motors, does 95
Old 05-28-2002, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Midnight 37 is a Popped 36'Cigarette nothing creative about it !!
Old 05-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bought a used boat from them back in the mid-80's and at that time it would seem that they were having some problems since they were building boats for the government... Saw several of their hulls at that time and guess that the deck design would be the give away... Also saw one of their fishing boats a couple of weeks ago on the ICW and it was very nice... They really handle the rough stuff well and I believe that the majority of their business was OB's... I would imagine that some folks further South down here could provide a more updated version since they are located in Opalacka...

Tnx, Karl
Old 05-28-2002, 08:05 AM
bschoe

I have seen many midnights and been a passenger on one, USCS with four/250efi's, great riding boat! They had a 39 at this years Annapolis Boat Show rigged with 3 new 225 4 stroke Yamahas. The boats construction, fit, finish and rigging looked incredibly good. I saw one with T/502’s at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor, they are used for ferry boats to Richard Branson’s private island www.neckerisland.com/ . The boat was set up as cneter console but had 502's with Bravo drives. The last time I talked with Customs they were sending all of their Fountains back to FL(42’s and 47’s) and using 39 ME’s with 4/250EFI’s . Less down time, quick engine change outs, and a better ride. Find out more @ www.midnightexpressyachts.com/

Old 05-28-2002, 08:06 AM
GOT MERC?

Cool

Hey Loose,
The person that can answer all your questions is the former
owner of Midnight Express Byng Goode. You can contact him
at Marine Machine in Opa Locka Florida 1-305-681-1815
Old 05-28-2002, 06:06 PM
loosecannon22

Thanks guys, I know its a poped 36 cig, the owner told me so, her father yes she, use to be friends with Don, and said that they added a foot to it in the bow area. but I will tell ya the thing is a tank, a big one at that. 9 foot beam, enough to put 4 bolsters across and 3 deep. no chit! and enough room to work on the engines without a problem. I just wanted to know if anyone else had one or knew of cabin conifigurations on them as this one is stripped down. I would realy like to get it in a year or two off of her because she never uses it unless there are 10 footers or better and she calls me up to go for a ride. and I am not kidding. sure we break some stuff here and there but with only 2 bolsters and 2 502's the only thing we break are the bolsters or the tranny's. oh yeah lost a hacth once too. just looking for info

Old 05-28-2002, 06:17 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Steve 1 or anyone else .... out of curiosity, do you know the orgins of the Cafe Racer bottom. I would think it would be the same as the 35 flat deck boats that were racing in the 80's????

Thanks