Like Tree0Likes

engine tuners

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

Default engine tuners

What do you guys tune for in a boosted application? I am familiar with my turbo drag car, but that's only 9seconds @ full throttle. What do most guys run in terms of boost vs timing vs afr? Im assuming less timing and more fuel, but wtf I'd like to hear some examples. I assume tuners are extremely conservative on their tunes by these (im sorry) gay numbers coming out of these bbc! Again, I have a drag car, BUT its got a 347ci sbf with a turbo producing somewhere around 8-900hp on 93 octane..
Old 05-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered

My Boats: boatless

Run your 8-900hp 347 at redline for 30 minutes straight over and over and see how long it lasts.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered

well, lol, its a street car and its been together for over 5yrs.. ive havn't even changed the plugs.. so it runs well.. I am sure with better valves it would last pretty long..

Power doesnt kill parts(for the most part).. its rpm and detonation..

Oh, and please dont't take my OP as taking a shot at anyone.. I am honestly curious as to what people are doing in boosted situation because I am planning on twin turboing my bbc's in my formula

Last edited by SINGLETGT; 05-03-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

My Boats: boatless

800 to 900 horse power on a pump gas 347 is a stretch, but I didn't say anything. Doing it for 5 years on one set of plugs is complete bull****.

I do not believe you could own and operate such a vehicle and have so little knowledge of how engines work to wonder why the power output in boats is less than you would "expect" in a car.

This thread reeks of something fishy, most likely inexperience and lies.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossett View Post
800 to 900 horse power on a pump gas 347 is a stretch, but I didn't say anything. Doing it for 5 years on one set of plugs is complete bull****.

I do not believe you could own and operate such a vehicle and have so little knowledge of how engines work to wonder why the power output in boats is less than you would "expect" in a car.

This thread reeks of something fishy, most likely inexperience and lies.
LOL I tell you what.. ANY time you're feeling frisky, you just go ahead and fly yourself and your inexperience up here and I'll gladly show you

We dont know eachother, but I can assure you that I know more about how to make power then you do judging by your response.

There is nothing fishy. I am not an engine builder by no means. To be honest, Im a union ironworker by trade. Backyard mechanic by night lol

Ill go outside and take a picture of the powerplant that's a lie, just for you..
Old 05-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered

Could anyone share some actual data as to the tune required to make the motor's live under boosted conditions?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

for Crossett lol Its an all forged 347, twisted wedge heads, solid roller cam, shaft mounted rockers, and that big snail is a gt4788.. http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/x...0503112106.jpg

I forgot, I did have the car on the dyno 3yrs ago and the tuner wanted a fresh set of plugs in it. Sorry, I forgot about that!

Last edited by SINGLETGT; 05-03-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: honesty
Old 05-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Registered

I have a turbo Mustang also. It is a self built, self tuned car. The HP is in the 500-600 range though.

The user community here is total different from the user community for any car I own. I have a turbo Audio A4, a turbo Mustang, and an International Scout. In each of those communities I could ask questions like, "what did you gap your rings to?", "how much timing are you running?", "what's your plug gap?", and I would get real answers. Here, I don't think many users could answer those questions about their boats. I guess when you are dealing with $10k cars you get a lot of guys that do their own work, but with $100k (and up) boats that just isn't the case.

I doubt you'll get answers to your questions.

Also in the past 15 years the user programmable ECU, the wideband O2 sensor, methanol kits and now E85; have been a complete revolution in street car performance. I just don't see that any of those have taken hold in the performance boating market.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

Post your questions in the Tech Q&A section and you will get more detailed responses.

Most boosted engines are going to run around 30-32* of timing.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 AM
Registered

My Boats: Boat. Less.

you want afr to be in the 11.5 - 12.0 range under boost and 12.5 - 12.8 NA. Timing will vary... 27-30 is about the max I'd go under boost