Like Tree0Likes

I think I might be a dumbass!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

My Boats: Old 24 ciggie, 382 fastech, and a big Ole beaker

When does the boat get to you? We need some more Pix!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:50 PM

My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft

I disagree with not doing the blisters this year. If they are below the water line water can get in and saturate the core (which may already be happening).
Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Team Baja's 38 Poker Run Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb32 View Post
Huskyrider,
Don't do the blissters this year. Enjoy the boat as it is. You'll find little things, and start a list of bigger things you want done then prioritize. Make sure all services are done and that it's turn key reliable. And you must have above stock motors to get to 73 GPS in that boat (500's or 525sc's maybe?) so for sure keep your extra change in case of a problem with engine or drive. Just don't hole shot anybody.

Have a great summer in it. And you'll need extras cash for fuel anyway. That's a great weekending boat.
The motors are stock from Baja but they weren't the stock 525SC's as mfg'd by Mercury Racing.
Baja built this boat in late 95 to be the official Baja factory poker run boat from 1996 where they campained it on the great lakes, LOTO, Havasa, etc. for that year. They upgraded the stock 525SC's with supercharger chillers and a different pulley to generate more power. My surveyor said that the powerplants rocked and that they felt as strong as many 650 to 750hp motored boats he'd surveye'd and the leakdown and compression test reults were excellent. It was at his suggestion that I renegotiate to the value of the powertrains only and take the hull as the bonus, and if the seller didn't accept the offer to request the deposit back and look elsewhere because he valued the boat way way below the ACV because it has hundreds of blister under the hull from water contact. This boat spent Memorial day to Labor day on the water at his dock since 99 when he moved it there to his new summer home. 3 months times 12 years on the dock equals 3 full years of water contact in it's lifetime.
Try this link and take a look at the unit
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...know-boat.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
I disagree with not doing the blisters this year. If they are below the water line water can get in and saturate the core (which may already be happening).
The first thing I'm going to do is a visual to determine how many have burst and do a quicky sand and fiberglass resin with a small bondo spreader. I'm going to keep her on a trailer and deal with the big work of sanding the whole underside in the winter when work slows down. I'm trying to decide what color gel coat would look good beneath it to change the look of the boat.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Registered

My Boats: Pair o' 700's in a 36

I did the same thing my friend... too quick to pull the trigger. Just remember what you said in your first post, you think your a dumbass for going against your friends advice and that of members on here... Let me give you one, Dont do it again! Listen to what these fellas have to say, they know! Enjoy the boat, get her fixed, and never second guess your decision...

I pulled the trigger too quick on my boat because the price was a once in a lifetime offer. I refinished the lower hull myself, did some fiberglass work, have restored the interior and other things, and I couldn't be happier, I have never regretted the purchase only that I wish I would of gone bigger. But there is always room to move up!

Enjoy your new toy, take care of her, and she will take care of you!