Notices

Safety lanyard

Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autotether wireless i saw it at the boat show as alittle expensive but was pretty cool
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Registered

Great responses! Thank you, I like the one from Brad. I will order one right away. I can't believe the "stock" models are so cheap. I always wear mine and I like it on my wrist. In Havasu usually it is so hot that I only have shorts on. It is good to know that so many of you use a safety lanyard. Many boaters do not. Thank you for all of the great suggestions!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Same here. Easy to clip on and off a vest or belt loop.
I do the same
Old 05-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered

I wrap mine around my thigh, it's low so never gets in the way, but it only took one time forgetting and stepped too far and slamming everyone forward from the kill. I never notice mine is there anymore. I tried the wrist one, but just got hung up all the time, cords, lines, ropes, or any linear flexible object is my enemy, it will wrap around something just on it's own to mess with me!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Surprised nobody has mentioned an Autotether?
http://www.autotether.com/at/marine-...reless-lanyard
Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with an auto system is the requirement to verify the remote device is properly attached or worn.

If the key fob or similar is left in a drink holder or attached to another life jacket it will remain on the boat.

While not purely passive the lanyard/wrist/ is vivid and static promoting wear and linking the operator to the actual switch.

True passive systems have been attempted but so far nothing has worked well enough to demonstrate reliability.

Keep it simple is my motto

Last edited by bcschoe; 05-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

thanks again for the posts and responses. I agree entirely with Brad's logic. I ordered up a blue one to match my boat.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
The problem with an auto system is the requirement to verify the remote device is properly attached or worn.

If the key fob or similar is left in a drink holder or attached to another life jacket it will remain on the boat.

While not purely passive the lanyard/wrist/ is vivid and static promoting wear and linking the operator to the actual switch.

True passive systems have been attempted but so far nothing has worked well enough to demonstrate reliability.

Keep it simple is my motto
Another possible problem is if the wearer is knocked out and remains in the boat. At least with a lanyard there is the likely chance the wearer will fall away pulling it.

I use a wrist lanyard religiously in all situations.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Another possible problem is if the wearer is knocked out and remains in the boat. At least with a lanyard there is the likely chance the wearer will fall away pulling it.

I use a wrist lanyard religiously in all situations.

Like everything else with boats, theres always trade off!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Registered

Yes, you can get knocked out and still stay inside the boat! That is a bad idea for fast power boats! Needs to be an attached type to the operator! Don't ask me how I know this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.