Like Tree0Likes

Cmi Big Tube headers

Reply
Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ILL
My Boats: 06 Eliminator Daytona 27'
Posts: 739
Default Cmi Big Tube headers

Boy just read tons of scary stuff about them leaking water in too cyls! What is the first sign? Of them leaking? I would think water would show up in oil real fast...... As about first sign....
Thank u
skydog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Boy just read tons of scary stuff about them leaking water in too cyls! What is the first sign? Of them leaking? I would think water would show up in oil real fast...... As about first sign....
Thank u
The big tubes are some of the finest pieces of metalwork you've laid your eyes on.

Got a first hand look at a pair on a 1K blown big block a week ago at Laveycraft and they were stunning.

At 9K a set I expected a lot and wasn't disappointed.


Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 PM
  #3
Registered
 
Back4More's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lake Michigan
My Boats: 353 Fastech
Posts: 6,624
Default

Hydro locking a cylinder...
Back4More is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 PM
  #4
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ILL
My Boats: 06 Eliminator Daytona 27'
Posts: 739
Default

Yes that is what scares me
skydog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 PM
  #5
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
glassdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: toledo oh
My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
Posts: 12,667
Default

I thought the leaking issues were mostly with certain production OEM Merc headers made by CMI to Mercs specs.
__________________
Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
glassdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
I thought the leaking issues were mostly with certain production OEM Merc headers made by CMI to Mercs specs.
Thats my understanding as well.

Teague sells tons of CMI product and almost everyone is happy.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM
  #7
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)
 
Strip Poker 388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madison,Mississippi
My Boats: Hustler 388
Posts: 21,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
The big tubes are some of the finest pieces of metalwork you've laid your eyes on.

Got a first hand look at a pair on a 1K blown big block a week ago at Laveycraft and they were stunning.

At 9K a set I expected a lot and wasn't disappointed.


Uncle Dave

9 a set thats crazy,i'd be looking at stellings
__________________
.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Strip Poker 388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 View Post
9 a set thats crazy,i'd be looking at stellings
I thought so as well, but I've never seen larger diameter water jacketed headers.

These things were a serious chunk-0-steel and change.

Love Stellings and Lightning.


UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:54 PM
  #9
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
My Boats: 1987 Scarab Panther
Posts: 2,118
Default

We did some CMI testing on a NA engine. 1 7/8" Sport Tubes compared to 2 1/4" CMI Big Tubes. 805 HP vs 820 HP at 7000 RPM. It seems like a lot of $ for a small improvement in performance.
BenPerfected is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPerfected View Post
We did some CMI testing on a NA engine. 1 7/8" Sport Tubes compared to 2 1/4" CMI Big Tubes. 805 HP vs 820 HP at 7000 RPM. It seems like a lot of $ for a small improvement in performance.

I think if I were you id just use the sport tubes then.

If you had a 1000 horse blown big block or a super high per N/A setup the results would be dramatic.

Whats your mill?

UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.