Like Tree0Likes

Too Fast ?????

Old 05-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: fuel injection, superchargers

I heard that 50% of all boating accidents involve alcohol and 50% of those the guy is found with his zipper down! and no PFD.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:04 AM
Registered

My Boats: 31 Scarab Thunder

TooOld- Open style fishing boats and jon boats have the most accidents you say? Look at the STM club and the Manetee issue, legislators dont nessesarily follow scientific data and fact. They bend to political pressure or the flavour of the political month. It will be interesting to see the political reaction over the next few months with regards to this "Bad Cat incident" and the speeds involved or the speeds the boat was capable of. Also, we have to understand that there are lots of people in our world who do NOT think our type of boats are cool, and we are thought of as "crazy, go fast boaters" with a death wish with no regard for our or anyone elses safety. And believe me if Bad Kat had of involved another boat especially a family with similar tragic results, their fault or not, ALL HELL would be breaking loose right now............Doug
Old 05-30-2002, 02:03 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

I worry about the older boats that people keep re-powering and over-powering. They end up far exceding the original specs and the hulls are not 100%. They are not properly tested or checked in some cases.

On the newer boats, I try to guide my customers into something that they can handle. I agonize over what choices they make and if its too crazy we try to avoid it. Some customers will not listen because they want what they want.

Here is an example.. 24 ft HTM Blown 700ci approx 1300hp, wants 4-speed w/rev and our new drive. Used to take the family water skiing and some hot rodding on a lake. What would you do?

Too Old seems to always hit the mark.

29,I have not heard about Bad Cat, what happened.

If it takes you an hour to pull the vinal out of your butt, it's too damm fast..

pat W
Old 05-30-2002, 02:30 AM
Registered

I like the idea of a volunteer course, but you are right when you say, "nobody would go"

so you have to offer an incentive and i think phantom hit it right with an insurance disc. but like he said it must be a "qualified course" but then again we say "so what is qualified" Tough call either way. I personally would attend if there became one bc i have never driven a boat above 80mph and a little timid to do so. Just my short .02

also Scarab driving school is still going on. Fairly new member "VelocityMike" went in April 2001 and he said he learned quite a bit. They say it is free but naturally it probably filters out of the price of boats somehow.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI

The insurance incentive works for me! When I moved to Fl. in 1990, I had boated mostly on big lakes, (went out in the Pacfic a couple of times) BUT I had no real ocean experience to speak of. So I enrolled in the USCG Aux. course, the Fl Marine Patrol course and I learned alot about Naviagtion/rules of the waterways type stuff. Not much HP related material though. AND I get a 15% discount on my boat insurance. Too Old is correct, NO amount of training can help stupid people! And I'm also afraid that it will be a matter of time before the gov't MANDATES boat Licenses, another money making venture!
MD
Old 05-30-2002, 10:03 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Scorpion 32 CC

Sticking my neck into the noose ...

I DO think that the emphasis on speed has gotten out of hand. It was the ocassional "special" boat in the Powerboat trials that would run 100+, now it's almost a must to get your boat into triple digits. I've never been in a 100+ boat offshore, but was in one runing 80+ in 3-4 seas and quickly found out that it was above "my" driving ability (but not the race driver I was rideing with). I know there are many who can responsibly use a 100+ boat, but there are a lot of people with instant wealth that have no business in one who can easily walk up and buy one. A little more common sence and less emphasis on "extreme" speeds is in order. You shouldn't have to think your boat still has training wheels on it just because it can't break 90-100 mph.

I think their is a need for more available training. I took a driving course when it was offered by the Newport Beach CA Scarab dealer (Mark Frantz). It was a very good use for my $400 for the two hours I had on the water. I ran their boat harder in the class than I have ever run mine. It was great fun, it was safe, it was a great learning experience, and allows me to safely persue the envelope of my boat, even though it "only" runs 60 mph. I have no idea if my cost covered theirs, but it can't be too far off.

I also took a "Safe Boating" course from the coast guard when I bought the Donzi, my first offshore and twin engine boat. I'd been boating since I was 12 (8' hydroplane) and am old enough I don't need the course by law. My wife took it too, has been sailing about since she could walk, raced in the Womans World's (sailboats for those who havn't heard of it), and was a certified sailing instructor. We both had fun, didn't get bored, and probably "remembered" some stuff we had forgotten. We also got a 10-20% discount on the boat insurance by faxing them a copy of the certificate.

I also remember in a past Powerboat test reading that the new owners off a then very fast Skater sid they had several hours of training with Bobby Moore before going out on their own. Clearly a good way to get aquanted with that class of boat, should be "considered" a must for almost anyone moving up into that class of machine, and a good sign of a responsible dealer/rigger to offer it.

"I" vote for making it well known to new and old where training is (hopefully) available to help them transition from their bow rider to an offshore boat.

(Flack jacket and life jacket on) - Greg
Old 05-30-2002, 10:39 AM
Registered

My Boats: Zodiac RIB

I am sure to catch Hell for this but it is all Natural Selection people. If you are not smart enough to drive within your abilities then you are going to be eliminated. Be it boats, autos, planes (private), snowmobiles (which in fact have a huge fatality rate per unit sold) motorcycles, even pedal bikes. I am sorry but when I get behind the wheel (or handle bars) of my toys I put on a whole different attitude. I know life is short and my health is top priority. I have never crashed anything in my life and I have seen triple digits in everything I own. I just know when to make these runs and do not do them to impress anyone but myself. Whenever I got in trouble when I was young or broke something my dad always said "you were probably screwing around" he was right and with that said we don't need anymore meddling in our fun. Let those who can't handle it pay the price. I for one cannot afford such a price.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by DonziMitch
I am sure to catch Hell for this but it is all Natural Selection people. If you are not smart enough to drive within your abilities then you are going to be eliminated. Be it boats, autos, planes (private), snowmobiles (which in fact have a huge fatality rate per unit sold) motorcycles, even pedal bikes. I am sorry but when I get behind the wheel (or handle bars) of my toys I put on a whole different attitude. I know life is short and my health is top priority. I have never crashed anything in my life and I have seen triple digits in everything I own. I just know when to make these runs and do not do them to impress anyone but myself. Whenever I got in trouble when I was young or broke something my dad always said "you were probably screwing around" he was right and with that said we don't need anymore meddling in our fun. Let those who can't handle it pay the price. I for one cannot afford such a price.

I agree with everything you said, except the last two sentences. You, in fact, do and will pay the price in higher insurance costs.

As more of these fatal accidents occur, I'm afraid the already limited "high performance" insurance industry will shrink even further, as companies not really comitted will leave. The remaining co's will be able to pretty much charge what they want, as they will be the only game in town.

Remember the late '80s, early '90s when it cost $6,000. to insure a $100,000. Cigarette ??? We may be headed in that direction again.......
Old 05-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2009 FORMULA 292

What Too Old said!
Old 05-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2008 Gunshow

too old:

"Before I do, let me say AGAIN that you are less likely to get hurt in your 150mph Skater than you are in that jon boat with an old 18hp Johnson. The statistics prove that."

Show me these statistics. I doubt boatus has data that includes Skaters.

More people get hurt in "jon" boats because there are many more "jon" boats than Skaters.

If these people with Skaters are so intelligent why are they not wearing seat belts? It seems foolish to drive 100+ and not be belted in.

"Then there's events like SKATERFEST. Educational no mater what type of boat you pilot. Why weren't more OSO members in attendance?"

Gawking at other peoples Skaters isn't that much fun for me.
It may have be fun for Pat Patel (gawkee), but not for me.

regards,

vtec