Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Underwater LED's... best mounting locations? >

Underwater LED's... best mounting locations?

Notices

Underwater LED's... best mounting locations?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underwater LED's... best mounting locations?

I have looked at a bunch of threads discussing LED's but not many discuss best placement.

Any suggestions? I have a 382 formula, i bought 3 seeablaze3's for the back. I was thinking i between the drives and the other 2 between the drive and the k planes. IS that sufficient or should i be going lower on the transom?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SlowPlay
I have looked at a bunch of threads discussing LED's but not many discuss best placement.

Any suggestions? I have a 382 formula, i bought 3 seeablaze3's for the back. I was thinking i between the drives and the other 2 between the drive and the k planes. IS that sufficient or should i be going lower on the transom?
WOW!!! your already to that step? LOL I can't even figure out what light or company to go with. It is hard not knowing what they will look like in the water. I'm looking at the Oceanled A3's but I have no clue what to use. All i know is that none of them are cheap you you wanna get it right the first time.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

well i put my buddy in charge of this project since i didnt have time with everything else. i admit they are BRIGHT here on the table infront of me.

I had to do this before my motors went back in so it was now or never.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I once wrote a story on LED lights for Show Boats magazine and the preferred placement, even on big yachts, was under the swim platform. Everyone I spoke with said they look great there (and the pictures supported that notion).

So for what it's worth I think you're on the right track. Underwater LEDs definitely add drama.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I once wrote a story on LED lights for Show Boats magazine and the preferred placement, even on big yachts, was under the swim platform. Everyone I spoke with said they look great there (and the pictures supported that notion).

So for what it's worth I think you're on the right track. Underwater LEDs definitely add drama.
Not to be a dick but did you even read what i asked?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Yes, I did and my answer was too general. Obviously, you've narrowed down the general area. Sorry if my answer offended you.

The actual mounting depth is a function of the effect—diffusion, brightness, etc.—you're trying to create Did the LED manufacturer provide any guidelines for mounting depth and—probably important—space between the lights? Obviously, the deeper you go with placement the more diffused and faint the light emitted will become. Then again, if they're mounted too close to the surface they'll be annoying bright and produce lots of glare.

That's vague, for sure, but from I learned in my research mounting position and depth are case by case. If the manufacturer didn't supply guidelines, or there's not a tech you can speak with, I'd be surprised and disappointed.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

Yeah......well. Drill a bunch of holes under water and try them in various locations till it suits you. LOL

Do the lights need to be under water when running on plane? Some do.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered

Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Lumitech's instructions suggest 8 to 12 inches below the waterline.
Your placement sounds good, consider wiring the outside lights to one switch and the center light to another. That way you can toggle them seperately to run different colors if desired.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

Mounted my 2 between drives about the bottom line of my boxes .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.