Notices

Freeze plug

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze plug

A buddy called today and said when he started his boat a freeze plug came out of block. This was the first start up of season. Plug might have been out before start, when he started motor he noticed water coming from block and freeze plug not in on pass. Side by motor mount. Couldn't find any cracks on outside of block and doesn't look like there's any water in oil. Anyone ever had a freeze plug blowout that the block wasn't cracked. Really hoping this block isn't cracked. The motor is a 454 mag, 2000 272.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Registered

put a new one in start it up and check the oil
Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Registered

Had a 350 that did it in the middle of summer. Sometimes it happens. Actually I've seen a few 350 casting plugs just fall out. Did he not winterize?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tigeman
Had a 350 that did it in the middle of summer. Sometimes it happens. Actually I've seen a few 350 casting plugs just fall out. Did he not winterize?
Yes, but thinking maybe he didn't get all the water out.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Registered

Default Bullet dodged

I think I may have dodged a bullet.... Removed motor mount, and replaced freeze plug, reattached motor mount, Ran for 15-20 minutes on the muffs, no visible leaks and no water in the oil. The true test will be this weekend. Not sure what caused the plug to pop out other than the obvious improper winterization technique that I performed at the end of last season. Will definitely not do that again.