Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
idle issue with ear muffs? >

idle issue with ear muffs?

Notices

idle issue with ear muffs?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is water coming out of the exhaustat an idle now after pump is primed and system is full? if so i would say you're good
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by JayFan
I agree. I have the same motors/drives as Moses and it took mine a about 30 seconds to "fill" back up after winterizing. I was nervous as well when I looked at the exhaust and no water was coming out at first.....but it did finally!

If nothing comes out after you wait a bit.....then I'd say the impeller was installed improperly.

Oh Moses...... be sure the front pickup on the Bravo is plugged or it won't suck worth crap. I found that out the hard way...... I just tape them off while I do my flushing....then remove the tape. I have to do this because I don't have the "proper" earmuffs for the dual intake Bravo.
i allowed a good 30 seconds to fill and nothing. like i said it acted perfectly fine when i gave it a little throttle. i made sure the front hole was plugged in the drive. i am thinking it will be ok when the drive is fully submerged in the water tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gotstreetracin
is water coming out of the exhaustat an idle now after pump is primed and system is full? if so i would say you're good
nah it never sucked enough at idle to pick up water even after filling the system using a little gas. as soon as i put it back to idle, the water would start coming back out of the sides of the muffs.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by moses0324
nah it never sucked enough at idle to pick up water even after filling the system using a little gas. as soon as i put it back to idle, the water would start coming back out of the sides of the muffs.
I think mine sucks all the water up even at idle......however if you have a tremendous amount of water pressure.....the "sucking" might not be able to keep up with it at low idle, thus the coming out the sides.

I agree with the other posts.....as long as you get water coming out with gas you should be fine. Just watch the thermostats!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JayFan
I think mine sucks all the water up even at idle......however if you have a tremendous amount of water pressure.....the "sucking" might not be able to keep up with it at low idle, thus the coming out the sides.

I agree with the other posts.....as long as you get water coming out with gas you should be fine. Just watch the thermstats!
i better see you out at claudios on sunday!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

i better see you out at claudios on sunday!!!!!!
Workin on it!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

just started the motors for the first time this year...had the ear muffs on with the water running. at idle the water impellar doesnt seem to be pulling any water. give it a little gas and she starts sucking. is this an issue? i should mention that the water impellar was just replaced a few days ago.
justin if you need a 55 gallon poly drum to cut in half for your drives let me no i can get you one free
Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
wakeywakey

As said before, if water is comming from the exhaust and the temp is normal, it should be ok. Do you have a water pressure gauge and what does it read? How did it behave before winterizing?

It's been awhile since I've used ear muffs, but as I recall it there is always some water running by the muffs, especialy at idle.
My bad....I know when I started mine up this spring after installing the engines it did take a while but even at idle it pulled all of the water from my hose.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time the water pressure in your hose is more pressure then what your motor is going to need at idle (about 40 psi, and you don't need that kind of water pressure at idle), hence the overflow. Goose it a little and the engine needs more water pressure. I would say as long as you are still getting water out of the exhaust (at idle) you should be fine.

Last edited by Big Time; 05-27-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

dumb question but do you have dual water pickups? My bravos have a front pickup as well as the side pickups. if you have that, the engine will suck air and water unless you plug the holes up front.

Also... I have noticed it seems to help if you put the water on half way until you start it, then put it on full. using this method the engine will actually suck the muffs in and you will get a perfect seal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.