Notices

Attention Boat Brokers!

Old 05-30-2002, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention Boat Brokers!

I have a buddy who is verry business minded and loves boats of all kinds. He doesnt want the headaches of owning a dealership so he is thinking about becoming a broker, only he doesnt have any idea where to start. Can any body give me a general overview of the business, or an idea on where to start so I can share it w/ him.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:50 AM
SunseekerNY

Default Re: Attention Boat Brokers!

Originally posted by THRILLSEEKER
I have a buddy who is verry business minded and loves boats of all kinds. He doesnt want the headaches of owning a dealership so he is thinking about becoming a broker, only he doesnt have any idea where to start. Can any body give me a general overview of the business, or an idea on where to start so I can share it w/ him.
Dear Thrillseeker:

Don't do your buddy any favors.....

I'm kidding.

Seriously, THE ABSOLUTE BEST ADVICE I CAN OFFER is to tell him that the old adage "Co-broke or Go Broke" is a myth, and only to work off exclusive listings. When you start splitting a commission with other brokers, the liability ain't worth it most of the time.

Tell him to start developing relationships with local marinas - dock masters LOVE donuts - and getting his name out to the boaters as an expert and someone they want to do business with. Reputation is everything in the brokerage business.

My $.02 or less.

Good luck!
Jennifer