Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where are your tabs set when planing? >

Where are your tabs set when planing?

Notices

Where are your tabs set when planing?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are your tabs set when planing?

Just like the title says, when you're getting up on plane where do you have your tabs set?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, Even with the bottom of the boat to extend the hull, then adjust. I dont drop mine to get on plane
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are always level with the bottom of the boat unless I need them different. I never touch them while planing out.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Reason I ask, is I drove a friends Sonic 31SS almost all weekend. I planed the boat out with the tabs full up, and when I started to mess with them it continually heeled over to starboard. I was putting both tabs down at the same time, and it still went to starboard. I was thinking I should try putting them neutral before hitting the gas next time.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

Berried...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boats74
Reason I ask, is I drove a friends Sonic 31SS almost all weekend. I planed the boat out with the tabs full up, and when I started to mess with them it continually heeled over to starboard. I was putting both tabs down at the same time, and it still went to starboard. I was thinking I should try putting them neutral before hitting the gas next time.
Are both drives spinning the same way? I don't think a V-bottom should roll over like that regardless of tabs.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Have to bury with 3 blades to plane, while underway level, or slightly down depending on conditions (see pic)

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/hu...orge/e3c322be2
Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
Are both drives spinning the same way? I don't think a V-bottom should roll over like that regardless of tabs.
unless only one tab was working...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by prostock85
unless only one tab was working...
Happened to me this weekend. I'd start with the tabs down to get on plane quicker and the boat would lean hard to one side. If I put the tabs to even or above I was fine. I took a look yesterday and saw that my port tab cylinder was leaking fluid. So what was happening was the port side tab would raise since it didnt have enough pressure and would cause the boat to lean. If I was you I would check to see if the cyclinder's seals are still good.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LaVita
Happened to me this weekend. I'd start with the tabs down to get on plane quicker and the boat would lean hard to one side. If I put the tabs to even or above I was fine. I took a look yesterday and saw that my port tab cylinder was leaking fluid. So what was happening was the port side tab would raise since it didnt have enough pressure and would cause the boat to lean. If I was you I would check to see if the cyclinder's seals are still good.
Same happened to me, but it was driver error. I usually set by feel but happened to hit the port tab instead of "both" switch. Eerie feeling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.