Like Tree0Likes

American Offshore Restoration Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: American Offshore 2600

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBADWS6 View Post
Keep us updated, that hull looks like it wants to haul some @ss!!
Stay tuned, there is more to come!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered

My Boats: 89 Talon

Saw the hull at Sparks. Looks good. Your gunna want more power. Something to think about. You could bolt a couple of outboards on there. Congrats on the project. Bob
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered

Default Lets get this party started! (or try to anyhow)

After a much needed night of rest (you would think we held a lumberjack competition in the hotel room with all the heavy snoring) we woke up around 8am our time, which was 5am in Havasu. We decided to hit the breakfast bar up in our hotel and then drive around Lake Havasu again, waiting to meet the boat owner around 8am at the storage facility. We had a game plan, and we were very serious about sticking to it, even though we just got off the road, we wanted to get right back to it. We had planned on stoping in at a local tire shop to have the tires replaced, as we didnt want any unexpected problems on the way back. (I had previously asked if the trailer was in road worthy shape, and I got a response of its ready to go, but tires may have some dryrot from sitting) So we had it all planned out, we should be back on the road by 9-9:30 at the latest. Right?...WRONG!

Once we arrived at the storage unit, we waited out front for around thirty minutes for the owners. Once they got there we opened the storage unit, and my buddies got out and began packing up all the spare parts. I backed up to the trailer and got out. The tounge of the trailer was sitting on the ground, the cover that came with the boat was draped over it, so I couldnt see the tounge itself the day prior (big mistake). I removed the cover and reached down for the jack...wait, wheres the trailer jack? No where to be found! Great, how are we gonna hook this thing up! Well thankfully the owners lived 5 minutes away, and being that they lived in Lake Havasu meant by law they must own tons of toys, and with that ment tools. So a quick 20 minutes later we had a jack to lift the tounge. I began to hook everything up...wait where is the safety chains, and more importantly the pigtail for the lights. Guess what, yep, they were MIA too. We were able to find the wire harness for the trailer lights, the pigtail was cut off, and it was stashed inside the frame. We decded that we would take it over to the tire shop and while they were mounting the tires and greasing the hubs we would stop by an auto parts store and grab some chain and a pig tail to wire up the lights, to be safe I opted just to by new light housings too.

10:00am - (Havasu time) we drop the boat and trailer off a the tire shop, give them the tires I had brought with me, and headed to the parts store for a quick parts run. Upon our return I noticed the boat was still on stands in the parking lot, I immeadatley knew this was a bad sign. The tech walks up to me and tells me he needs to show me something. We walk over to the right rear wheel and he begins to shake it. The whole hub almost comes off the spindle! Not a bearing left in it! Great!! So I tell them can you guys throw a new hub on for me? They replied they cant do that type of work on Saturdays! To which I reply, what type of work? Its a stinking cotter pin, a nut, some washers and the hub assemby. They then replied sorry, against policy! I told him our situation, and that we had a 2200 mile trip ahead of us hoping they would be compassionate, nope, no luck there. I then asked if they could lend me some tools leave it on the stands and I would do the work myself in their parking lot as I had limited tools with me, of course due to insurance reasons that was out of the question too! I then asked if any other shops could do it, he called around, and the one shop that would work on something like that was booked until 3pm, no way were we gonna wait that long to get on the road! The entire time, the orginal owner was with us, she felt bad about our situation and offer for us to bring it back to their house, use their tools and get the trailer roadworthy for the two thousand mile trip that lay ahead. I jumped on the offer. We pulled the wheel and hub off in front of their house, got the right hub and bearing numbers and headed back to the parts store. While I was picking up the new bearings, my buddies began wiring up the lights. Just as I was about to leave the store they called me and said the orgianal wiring is shot and we needed to run new wires. So I went back into the the store and told them I needed 60 ft of trailer lighting wire, amazingly they carried the stuff on a huge spool, at least something was going right.

We tag teamed the lighting rewire and bearing issue, and finally got on the road around 12:30pm (again havasu time). None of us were happy campers, it certianly was not a good start to the return trip home. I was very weary about he condition of the rest of the trailer (and the boat for that matter) but we put it in drive, grabbed some lunch and hit the road.

Last edited by JBrock; 06-02-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Saw the hull at Sparks. Looks good. Your gunna want more power. Something to think about. You could bolt a couple of outboards on there. Congrats on the project. Bob
Thanks Bob, the blower power I originally wanted to put in the boat is now sitting on the ring finger of my finance’s left hand. The motor I got will do for now, until I get this wedding out of the way, then I will move on to bigger and better things under the hatch.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Default On the road...again

Well I wont bore you with more details about the trip out to pick the boat up. We were all pretty grumpy with the late start and all, so we didnt take very many pictures. We did go through the Rockies just as a snow storm hit, which was a pretty cool sight.

I pulled into my driveway in Lake Wylie at somewhere around 3am Monday Feb 28th. The trailer was good to us the remainder of the trip. I put the truck in park, left the boat hooked to it, and slept for the next 10 hours. Not sure I will ever attempt to drive across country and back in 4 days, well, at least not anytime soon.

Snowing in the Rockies...anyone have a Coors Light?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

Default Let the resto begin!

The next day I began to assess what exactly I had gotten myself into. I already knew I needed a motor and rear bench/engine hatch combo, and later found out (the hard way) that the trailer was not up to par. (By the way, the trailer was not done with me just yet. When it came time to unhook it from the truck I found that the coupler mechanism that releases the coupler from the ball was broken and would not disengage. I was by myself so it took me 45min or so to get it to budge. This became the first item o my list to replace.) The hull was in very good condition, very few stress cracks in the hull, and almost no nicks or gouges. The gelcoat on the other hand was a different story, from the years of the desert sun and limited maintenance it had became very oxidized, almost to the point where it looked like the entire hull had been dusted with flour. The pores of the gel had also been saturated with the desert sand, so it had a slight yellowish tint to it. The white vinyl that covered the front seats was almost black in areas, and the seat frames were trash. The coming panels were warped from the sun, and the vinyl there was also in poor shape, with tears in some areas. I am not sure if it was the desert sun, or the boat being stored indoors, but there was not a single area on the hull that had any signs of rot or delamination. The structure of the hull is perfectly intact.

Now time to survey the various boxes that came with the hull. The boat was originally rigged with a Mag 502, I found the intake complete with injectors wiring harness, and other parts of the fuel system. Various smaller boxes filled with nuts and bolts. Bellhousing and flywheel, and a sad looking bravo outdrive.

Well know I know what I had, and it was time to put a game plan together to get this boat in lake ready condition, without breaking the bank. As I mentioned earlier, I am recently engaged, and am in the process of planning a wedding in Charleston SC. (For those of you not familiar with Charleston, it can get expensive) So this is going to be somewhat of a budget build for this season, until I can get this wedding out of the way.

The remainder of my posts for this thread will be less story (I know you're sad ) and more build thread. Hope to see you all on the water sometime soon!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

My Boats: 89 Talon

Damn JB thats a hell of a road trip! Remind me to tell you about the purchase of my Thouroughbred on the side of I-85 and it's sale at 11:00 pm in the dark. Theres plenty of time for engine upgrades. Keep your partner happy and Congrats on your up coming wedding.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

First thing was to strip out the few items still attached to the hull. After removing the seats, and the coming pannels, I realized how poor conditon they were in. First on the list, rebulid the frames, and recover.

First thing was to rebuild the frames

This was the orignal seat (after I cleaned it once) vinyl was in good shape, just really nasty, so I decded to take some others advice and clean with magic eraser and sipmle green.

Fitting the sections

Magic eraser works wonders! Other than a few knicks, looks almost as good as the new vinly on the coming pannels.

Last edited by JBrock; 06-02-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Registered

After I finished the front seats I focused on the coming pannels. I used the originals as templates, ordered new vinyl and hardware, and tried my hand at my first bit of upholstery work. Think they came out ok, I will more than likely have the entire interior redone professionaly once the wallet is a little more full.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

The boat has been at Vicious Custom (Sparky Olson) boats for around 4 weeks now. Sparky is going through the drive for me and is also going to help with setting the new motor in and making sure evrything is aligned properly.

It is also being wetsanded and polshed while its at his shop. He has sent me a few pics of the progress. I am heading down tomorrow to start the rerig of the hull.

Pulling out that desert sand

making some progress

Starting to shine up pretty nicely