Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  OK Drag Racers, How fast???? >

OT: OK Drag Racers, How fast????

Notices

OT: OK Drag Racers, How fast????

Old 05-31-2002, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the car should go high 11's. My reasoning is I had a 468 in a '68 Camaro with 3:73 gears and a 2200 stall and the car would fall on its face off the line and still ran a 12.23. Push your slicks to the max off the line, starting at 3,500 and hold on!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car comes in right at 3200 lbs with driver. The 2.3 to 2.5 60' times are due to the limited tire size that can be put on the old Vette. The street tires are a joke off the line. If he was running alone you could hear his tires squealing when he went into third gear. From our street tests these slicks really hold well. That is why we are hoping the parts don't start breaking until we get a few good passes in.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my .02.
I haven't been racing for a while now but I'll offer my opinion.

1. Dump the M-21 trans. Put it on a shelf for when you're done racing it. I'd use a T-10, it's stronger than the M-22. Watch the first gear ratio the higher numericaly the better. Especially if you don't plan on swapping rear gears.

2. The rear gears. A 3.90 may not be enough. Think about going to a 4.11 or 4.56 maybe 5.13's. The higher gear will let the motor spin up faster/easier. With the aluminum flywheel you don't have as much energy (torque/inertia) stored up the launch the car.

3. That aluminum flywheel may have to go. I'd run a light steel piece. Sure the aluminum one will let the motor spin up quick but it also lets it loose rpm between gear changes. And like I said, it doesn't store much energy.
I used to have a '66 Shelby that I did a lot of street racing with. It had a 40 lb steel wheel on it. It didn't build rpm fast but when I dumped the clutch a lot of energy was put to the trans. It would either take off like a bat out of hell or spin the tires. Between gears it never lost rpm and it would lunge forward/chirp the tires with each gear change, second and third gears anyway. All I was running was little'ol 289 inch motor that would run door to door with most big blocks.

4. The IRS rear is great for cornering. I have no experience with them but I understand it takes a lot of work to get it to live under drag race conditions. It has a lot of rubber bushings that'll absorb energy and deform out of shape. The aluminum housing deforms or cracks and under load it will allow the pinion gear to push the ring gear to one side and slip/strip teeth.
I'd find and expert on Vette rears and talk to him.

I'm sure there's more I could think of. But my Boss needs me.
Like I said, these are just my opinions.
I may be way off base with my thoughts.
Good luck.

Last edited by Iggy; 05-31-2002 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Registered

Well I dont know if I would have jumped from street tires directly to slicks but hey, your car
Problem with standard rears and slicks is things tend to break from the amount of grip slicks give you but that is the chance you take at the track.

Drag radials are a logical step in that less breakage occurs with them AND they can hold and launch you pretty good.

Good luck, Shoot for low 12's not mid 12's if you can get a good launch and your 60 foot time is good you will see low 12's
If it is cold enough out and the barometer is a friendly pressure then shoot for low 11's but like I said, if you break something be extra prepared so you dont get all pissed off.

Lastly ENJOY YOUR RUNS!!!!
they are fast but fun at the same time.
Jason
Old 05-31-2002, 10:26 AM
Registered

I don't know alot about drag racing...but I have a show car sponsored by Enkei Wheels, Toyo Tires, Inseat Technologies and Katzkin Leather. One of my sponsors had me bring my may to an "Import" drag event in Bay City, TX (nr. Houston) called the World Import Challenge.

I can recognize a fast time, but don't know the science behind the 60' times, etc...

There were some of the Pro Guys there and we saw a completely tubed Civic turn a mid 8! Supposedly, it set the world record for a front wheel drive. I was shocked to see street Civics and Integras running 11s, there was even a newer Maxima that ran low 13s. I know some of those times may not seem to great for some of you 1/4 mile nuts out there. But, it changed my perspective on what a quarter-mile muscle car looks like!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:35 AM
Registered

Most standard Civics (or Ricers as we call them here in the hood of Philly) start life as 80-90 hp cars
with 200 HP shot of nitrous to even get these little turd cutters to move, how long do you think they are going to last?

Just an opinion, Me, Im naturally aispirated and running a highway rear and with the addition of my cam, I am ready to turn high 11's

My goal was to build a FAST STREET CAR not a race car
I accomplished that with all the work I did on it and Im happy with it the way it sits

That movie Fast and furious really beefed up the import market more than it was.
Hell now I see everything being riced out and I dont care for it that much but hey
Im the generation that if you did not have a v8 you were a puss and that is that
no exception to the rule

Now I have more V8's in my possession than i ever imagined
2 big blocks in boat, 1 big block in truck, 1 all aluminum small block in the TA
Gotta love the cubes!!!

Nothing against the ricers but I just cant get into having a radar arch on the truck lid of my car
Jason
Old 05-31-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rico, we call the cars you are referring to "wing dings" and some of them really go. In all honesty most of them look cool and have big woofers, but don't run like the ones you saw. Like any motor sport it has to be right if you want the fast numbers. I will admit it makes us a little nervous when we pull up to a stop light and a tricked out Civic pulls along side of us. I saw The Fast and The Furious.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:52 AM
Registered

Yeah, it makes me want to put NOS on my '68 just to be sure one of those cars don't smoke me. I'm with Jayl13, muscle and cubes is the only way to go.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:34 AM
Registered

I agree that you should be in the low 12's, high 11's with slicks and that kind of trap speed. My friends ol beater Buick runs 12.20's at only 108 with a 1.61 60' time. Trim that 60' time down and you'll be a happy man........
Old 05-31-2002, 02:18 PM
Registered

Before switching to Offshore we ran NHRA Competition Eliminator,B\ED Our best lap was 6.99 @ 181.43 MPH and built our oun cars.We had a blast but It cant beat the seat time of and Offshore race.

Quick Reply: OT: OK Drag Racers, How fast????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.