Notices

New Performance Mag

Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
One issue every month like all the other magazines.
In this economy with so few boat companies spending money on advertising, if we tried to go monthly, we wouldn't last. If you remember Speedboat, which I was part of, the business side tried to go with too many issues per year too soon and the support wasn't there, so it got canceled. Would you rather have us start slowly and build support with a good business plan or come charging out of the gate with no income and be out of business in a year? To put it in offshore racing terms, to finish first, first you need to finish. I want this magazine around for the long haul.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by E Colby
In this economy with so few boat companies spending money on advertising, if we tried to go monthly, we wouldn't last. If you remember Speedboat, which I was part of, the business side tried to go with too many issues per year too soon and the support wasn't there, so it got canceled. Would you rather have us start slowly and build support with a good business plan or come charging out of the gate with no income and be out of business in a year? To put it in offshore racing terms, to finish first, first you need to finish. I want this magazine around for the long haul.
Well good luck but I believe that going to 6 issues per year was one of PBs biggest mistakes. There was a limit to how long the subscribers would stay loyal and subsidize them. I'd like to see you make it too but even my little BoatU.S. magazine comes every month.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Since I'm the Editor In Chief, what would you like to see? BTW we are already at work on the third of four issues for 2011.

Eric Colby
Head to head comparisons of similar boats. In depth tech articles.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Oh goodie, I'm going to get in line to pay for another magazine that I don't receive. It seems that every company that has a hand, puts it in my pocket. I'm not rich, but I try to do my part, it just doesn't seem to be appreciated. I'm still waiting for my PokerrunsAmerica magazine. I keep hearing that it's coming "any-day". I'm not holding my breath. You guys get the point. Godspeed, have a great summer everybody
Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenstein
Oh goodie, I'm going to get in line to pay for another magazine that I don't receive. It seems that every company that has a hand, puts it in my pocket. I'm not rich, but I try to do my part, it just doesn't seem to be appreciated. I'm still waiting for my PokerrunsAmerica magazine. I keep hearing that it's coming "any-day". I'm not holding my breath. You guys get the point. Godspeed, have a great summer everybody
Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I'm the Editor In Chief, what would you like to see? BTW we are already at work on the third of four issues for 2011.

Eric Colby
I spotted the current issue yesterday at West Marine in West Palm at the check out. So far I am impressed.

I think a section dedicated to restoration and make overs would be great addition as well as articles relating to the heritage and history of this niche.

You might also consider having regional articles of interest with coverage of South Florida,Florida Gulf Coast, Great Lakes, North East, Cali, Arizona as well as major boating areas on inland lakes such as Lake of the Ozarks, Traivis, Norman, Martin and Tennessee River in Alabama as well as Lanier in Georgia. There is a "treasure trove" of information and interest in these areas that could quickly lead to enough advertiser support for a monthly run.

Good luck with this...I think you will get a lot of support here.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Registered

Default Recommendation

Eric Colby

How many issues have already been published so far?

One recommendation I have concerns the type of boats covered and reviewed. When I first started with Powerboat Magazine, many of the new boat reviews included boats from 21' to 30' equipped with engines that the average boater could afford. These are boats that could be purchased off the showroom floor. As a result, you could not wait for the next issue to see what new models were becoming available. However, over the past two or three years Powerboat Magazine began to only review mostly very high dollar boats with mega priced engines and drive combinations amounting to a 250K to 1M dollar boat. Most boaters do not find these types of boats as interesting due to the inability to afford such a boat. I believe this was one of the reasons for Powerboat Magazines problems.

Hot Boat on the other hand never strayed from the "shade tree boater" so I am not sure what happened to them other than the economy which I know did effect the entire boating industry.

I make this recommendation only because I believe this is overlooked by many performance based publications. Sure, there are boaters that can afford such high priced boats, however, the majority of boaters such as myself are looking for a performance magazine which covers both segments equally.

I appreciate the opportunity to express my recommendations and opinions

Best Regards