Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Your state could be next!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/255174-your-state-could-next.html)

scarab63 06-11-2011 03:53 PM

Anybody who got fired up at one certain member on this thread like I did. Please take 30 seconds to look in the 'stolen / beware ' section. Its kinda funny what happened to him, and ill bet he contacted a lawyer on that one!!! LOL:lolhit:

ar300johnson 06-12-2011 11:26 AM

The very idea that anyone could be arrested for bui in a houseboat at anchor is assinine. If the houseboat was under way, the usual rules should apply.

However, a houseboat at anchor is a house on the water and should be treated the same as any other house. There is absolutely no difference between between being tied to a slip or bring at anchor. In fact, it is much easier to untie from a slip than it is to retrieve an anchor. I know because I owned a houseboat for 4 fun-filled years.

Total B.S. law and I hope that my nieghbors in Oklahoma can get crazy law repealed. Good luck and may common sense prevail.

articfriends 06-12-2011 12:55 PM

NOBODY LIKES A LAWYER TILL THEY NEED ONE!!! Wise words, I don't know what is up your azz mr fountain 4402 but maybe this forum is a little different then what you are used to, lifelong friendships on here cross state lines and go back along ways !
As far as boarding peoples boats with no due cause just to harass someone at anchor looking for a dui bust is com plete bull*hit. We went thru something similar around here a few years ago, the local county sheriffs department decided to start interpreting the law to allow them to enter local bars, walk up to each patron and demand that they submit to breathelizers, if legally drunk they were citing people for public intoxication, and the bar was cited for serving a intoxicated patron. If they refused they were arrested for disorderly conduct or obstruction of justice. The bar owners very quickly were in a big uproar and it ended but it still itimidated people into not going to the bar. I like to have a drink once in a while but rarely frequent bars but I still think it was total bs. Now I could be all high and mighty like mr founttain 4402 and say they are getting what they deserved, after all why should anyone be out having a good time????? Smitty

ECeptor 06-12-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends (Post 3427303)
We went thru something similar around here a few years ago, the local county sheriffs department decided to start interpreting the law to allow them to enter local bars, walk up to each patron and demand that they submit to breathelizers, if legally drunk they were citing people for public intoxication, and the bar was cited for serving a intoxicated patron. If they refused they were arrested for disorderly conduct or obstruction of justice. The bar owners very quickly were in a big uproar and it ended but it still itimidated people into not going to the bar. Smitty

Wow! That is sobering (pun intended). Apparently that sheriff forgot the 18th Amendment was repealed...in 1933.

scarab63 06-13-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain4402 (Post 3427797)
The problem is you have the law, then you have how the police interpret the law and then how the citizens interpret the law. Are some laws BS, sure. Are some cops bad cops, sure. Are there people out there doing the right and wrong thing YUP!! All the stories you mentioned above are always the type that somebody heard it from a friend. In all my years I have never been pestered by the police not once. I have never seen somebody hauled away just for having a fun time. More times than not I have seen people work themselves into an arrest, which if they would have stayed normal would have been fine. Problem is a lot of people dont like to be questioned by the police as soon as they do they get defensive. I'll go back to what I have said before, if you do the right thing 99.9 out of 100 you will have no issues. I have lived in MI, NY, OK, and VA, and have had performance cars and a boat just about in every state and have drank in every state, and have never had an issue, but then again I dont push it, if I drink I dont drive its simple. And the people that are getting into trouble probably deserve it majority of the time, theyre the ones with loud music, people doing dumb things around and in the boat, of course there going to get checked out.

I firmly beleive this law in OK is to avoid the officers pulling up to a boat where everybody is drunk and everybody says they arent the driver. And yes you can say the cops cant prove they arent staying there for the night. But you dang well know those people are going to drive home later. It's wrong to arrest somebody before the act of crime occurs, but yet why wait till that person crashes into somebody and damages property or kills somebody? Personally the law is probably overboard, but I can see why its there. Personally if I was a cop I would just watch you wait till you fired it up then hammer your ace hard.

What happened over the weekend? Your daddy smack a lil sense into ya? Looks like your position has changed to almost reasonable? ??

waterboy222 06-13-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by wesmax (Post 3426702)
This is to the originator of this post. Please feel free to contact Josh Lee at [email protected] . He would like to speak to you aout representation. He handles mostly DUI cases. This law doesnt come into effect until August. I'm with a few others here thinking there is more to the story than what were hearing. Irregardless, if you need representation, HES YOUR MAN!!!!

And as a boater himself, I would love to see his take on this after court... he is THE dui guru in the area...

I just feel theres more to the story. Im sure itll make light or fall off the top here soon..