Notices

1350 up the bank!!

Old 06-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats not good, glad to hear they are still alive, boats are replaceable

It's not the same Queensland racer who lost a F21 to a fire a few weeks back?

And as Kurt was saying lots of these boats running well in excess of 1300hp

www.forceboats.com.au
Old 06-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not same guy. Identical hull however. Force boats have a reputation world wide as being the best deep v boats under 21ft for outright speed and rough water capability. There would have to be over 10 (just in aus) running twin turbo big blocks and currently hold almost every record for australian ski race events and also are current world water ski racing champions. Since coming on the scene I have no knowledge of any spinning at high speed, and as I mentioned all the twin turbo versions run merc 6 drives. This was the only one outside the square with 8 drive. The driver said there is no loss of power when it dropped it's nose, more likely prop blowout which begs my question is there a major dimensional difference with the 8 drive that should be allowed for in set up of drive?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Looks like this is an Australian thing. Glad the guys were not hurt worse.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
No not same guy. Identical hull however. Force boats have a reputation world wide as being the best deep v boats under 21ft for outright speed and rough water capability. There would have to be over 10 (just in aus) running twin turbo big blocks and currently hold almost every record for australian ski race events and also are current world water ski racing champions. Since coming on the scene I have no knowledge of any spinning at high speed, and as I mentioned all the twin turbo versions run merc 6 drives. This was the only one outside the square with 8 drive. The driver said there is no loss of power when it dropped it's nose, more likely prop blowout which begs my question is there a major dimensional difference with the 8 drive that should be allowed for in set up of drive?

The 8 is a shorter drive than the 6. It may be just a bit too high for the prop height. I know most of the Ski race boats do not run the 6 drives surfaced. They run them deeper like a bravo boat would be.

Darrell.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i believe the bullet is also larger on the 8.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
I posted a few weeks ago about a good friend of mine that has the first mercury 1350 here in Australia in a 21 force ski race boat.
I posted that they spun it out a few weeks ago at 100mph, luckily boat and all involved came out relatively unscathed.

It's with sadness that I can report it ran it's first race yesterday and spun again at 105mph. This time with far worse consequences as the boat threw both driver and observer over 50m from the boat, one landing in the water with concusion and cut to the head. The other landed up the bank and sustained injuries to his shoulder and neck. Both very lucky to be alive!

The boat ended up the bank also and from reports is a write off.
Not sure what was causing it to spin. The driver says it would just drop it's nose abruptly at approx 100-105 but either side of that it would be fine. Initial thoughts are the prop was blowing out at that speed. These boats have run merc 6 drives for years with no problems. Could the 8 need different setup height, are dimensions different? Not that it matters now. It's a $210 000 paper weight now
The boat surfed on the gear case and this caused the stern lift that made the boat spin out. The diameter of the #8 is larger than the #6 and this is the problem that your friends boat has as well as quite a few other boats are currently having, similar to the NXT problems. Everyone here is saying it is the boat or to much power because they all believe in MerCury and that cannot be the problem. Tell them the boat had an arneson or something similar (which this is) and they would have pointed this our for you. Dup te Merc #8 and have a safer boat