Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything! >

Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything!

Notices

Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman565
I struggle with mine too. This year I got to use the gigantic channel-locks on em (what fun !!!). I had to squeeze the bejesus outta the canisters. So are we putting them on too tight ? I also use a clean, dry towel...then just hand power to install. I think it says on the box to go 1/4 turn past initial gasket contact. I was always leary of that, so I turned em a bit more (probably too much). Are we all tightening them too far ?
I'm with the big channel lock guys. I heve a set and they have never lost to a filter.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Weather is pretty crappy this weekend, winds from 25-33mph, so we decided to stay in, I kept the boat on the trailer and put her in the lake and ran it just to see if I had any leaks. Sure enough, I gouged the adapter just enough for a leak, wtf, I wanna shoot the bastard who put that filter on!!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thread. I have been boating 20 years and usually change my own oil. I do not use engine oil to lube the gasket - I learned long ago to use Corrosion X (red can). I only go to a certain feel of hand tightness on my warm engine and never a set amount such as a 1/4 turn. I check for leaks regularly - don't you guys like to look at your engines running from time to time? I use the

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1296310601P

oil filter and have never had an impossible filter on either 525 since we bought our 2005 Fountain. I have only had to retighten once. I do change at 25 hours on a regular basis.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
Interesting thread. I have been boating 20 years and usually change my own oil. I do not use engine oil to lube the gasket - I learned long ago to use Corrosion X (red can). I only go to a certain feel of hand tightness on my warm engine and never a set amount such as a 1/4 turn. I check for leaks regularly - don't you guys like to look at your engines running from time to time? I use the

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1296310601P

oil filter and have never had an impossible filter on either 525 since we bought our 2005 Fountain. I have only had to retighten once. I do change at 25 hours on a regular basis.
I changed my own oil for 3 yrs in PQ, using the same filter as I am using now and very had a problem. I have a can of corrosion I'll try it when the oil adapter comes in. I purchased the boat in March and it was serviced by previous owner by some mechanic.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do NOT miss big blocks!!! LOL
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bert4332
Weather is pretty crappy this weekend, winds from 25-33mph, so we decided to stay in, I kept the boat on the trailer and put her in the lake and ran it just to see if I had any leaks. Sure enough, I gouged the adapter just enough for a leak, wtf, I wanna shoot the bastard who put that filter on!!
The water was great for me! Finally got back out this weekend and loved it.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by anewway
The water was great for me! Finally got back out this weekend and loved it.
That's awesome, you must have had fun! I would have been really pissed had I wanted to go out and that find that filter leaking. How are the engines running now?

Last edited by bert4332; 06-20-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread but an air chisel on the base of the filter to walk it around always works as a last resort.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I read most of the threads on here andno one is even close. The answer is right under your nose. When yall mentioned screw driver, well your close. Take a thin blade screw driver and go between filter housing and oil filter. Break the gasket lose from the housing. Once broken lose, do it again in a few more spotd and shoot some power tune on the gasket and it will come off. I have leard the hard way when there no other help around. good luck with it.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sunchaser796
I read most of the threads on here andno one is even close. The answer is right under your nose. When yall mentioned screw driver, well your close. Take a thin blade screw driver and go between filter housing and oil filter. Break the gasket lose from the housing. Once broken lose, do it again in a few more spotd and shoot some power tune on the gasket and it will come off. I have leard the hard way when there no other help around. good luck with it.

The problem is getting the screw driver around the back side towards the engine, for this you need to take the adapter off, you might as well just pull the lines and place in a vice and unscrew. That way there is no damage to the adapter with a screw driver, which is exactly what I'm dealing with now.

Last edited by bert4332; 06-21-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.