Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil Filter stuck Tried Everything! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/255688-oil-filter-stuck-tried-everything.html)

sunchaser796 06-21-2011 01:24 AM

I read most of the threads on here andno one is even close. The answer is right under your nose. When yall mentioned screw driver, well your close. Take a thin blade screw driver and go between filter housing and oil filter. Break the gasket lose from the housing. Once broken lose, do it again in a few more spotd and shoot some power tune on the gasket and it will come off. I have leard the hard way when there no other help around. good luck with it.

bert4332 06-21-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by sunchaser796 (Post 3434126)
I read most of the threads on here andno one is even close. The answer is right under your nose. When yall mentioned screw driver, well your close. Take a thin blade screw driver and go between filter housing and oil filter. Break the gasket lose from the housing. Once broken lose, do it again in a few more spotd and shoot some power tune on the gasket and it will come off. I have leard the hard way when there no other help around. good luck with it.

The problem is getting the screw driver around the back side towards the engine, for this you need to take the adapter off, you might as well just pull the lines and place in a vice and unscrew. That way there is no damage to the adapter with a screw driver, which is exactly what I'm dealing with now.

anewway 06-21-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bert4332 (Post 3433910)
That's awesome, you must have had fun! I would have been really pissed had I wanted to go out and that find that filter leaking. How are the engines running now?

Yeah, it was a blast! Of course I'm still babying it, so I couldn't get to crazy, but it was great to be back behind the wheel. :)

Might go up one more size on the carb jets, but its running great so far.

MILD THUNDER 07-01-2011 01:20 PM

Just another note for you guys to try.

Instead of placing the strap type wrench at the end of the filter where the notches are, place it as close to the gasket end of the filter as possible. Less chance of crushing and twisting the filter and making more of a mess. I oil the o-ring up on the new filter, and go hand tight with a rag. Anything more than that your asking for problems! You're not torquing down cylinder heads! I think alot of the problem with boats is being a remote filter, its very accessible and guys get carried away tightening them. On cars, usually you can't access the filter as well, and tend not to be overtightened. :coolcowboy:

fountainwoman 07-01-2011 02:07 PM

I thought I was the only one having problems removing my filters at oil changes.....

Another option may be using the K and N filters with the
1" nut welded to it.

motoboy 07-01-2011 02:16 PM

MAKE sure no debree falls down those oil holes when you're ripping the filter apart. Some little plastic pieces fell down mine and I had to take the oil line off to get them out. I was told the oil line goes straight to the main bearings so obviously dont want stuff in there.

Ripping the filter off to the base plate is what happened to mine. Then went to Lowes and bought a BIG pipe wrench to remove base plate. Spun right off after that.

bert4332 07-01-2011 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by motoboy (Post 3443266)
MAKE sure no debree falls down those oil holes when you're ripping the filter apart. Some little plastic pieces fell down mine and I had to take the oil line off to get them out. I was told the oil line goes straight to the main bearings so obviously dont want stuff in there.

Ripping the filter off to the base plate is what happened to mine. Then went to Lowes and bought a BIG pipe wrench to remove base plate. Spun right off after that.

I have not idea if anything fell in, I've already had running now on the trailer several times, just hope nothing went in.

bert4332 07-01-2011 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by fountainwoman (Post 3443256)
I thought I was the only one having problems removing my filters at oil changes.....

Another option may be using the K and N filters with the
1" nut welded to it.

That's all I use, I think I'm going to send an email to the shop that did the last maintenance and with a blow photo saying PAY ATTENTION !!

Kurt Hamilton 07-02-2011 03:09 PM

Hey Guys
Not sure if this was mentioned, i didnt have time to read all posts.
I smear a thin film of wheel bearing grease just on the top of the o ring surface (seems to last longer than the film of oil), just be sure not to get any inside the catridge, you dont need much. And definately dont tighten more than 1/4 turn! As you can see they definatley aint comin off in a hurry, even at 1/4 turn it takes fair effort with filter wrench so no need to tighten begeesus out of it.
It always amazes me though how its the most simple of jobs (normally done just before you plan to hit the water) that become bigger than ben hur, involving engine parts being removed and massive torque wrenches. The amount of times my wife has headed to the car with the kids for a day of boating only to see me arms deep in grease, oil or fuel and a critical engine component locked in the vise.
Its why we love it im sure!!

OldSchool 04-08-2021 05:33 PM

Thanks to whoever recommended using a BIG set of channel locks....90 minute battle with this phucker today. Filter wrench, no Bueno.. Big screwdriver, no Bueno... Exacto knife, no Bueno.... Channel locks... Bueno!!! I won, but it put up one hell of a fight! LOL I wish that I could blame it on whoever put it on....but would be me, 4 months ago! SMH :angry-smiley-044: :hitfan: :picard1: :drink:
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...92c571a645.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...99e1649314.jpg