Notices

Brokered Boat ???

Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brokered Boat ???

Just curious. When I puchasd my boat from a dealer I had them add a few things before I took possession (drive shower, hatch acuators etc) and I was able to roll the cost into my loan. If a boat is brokered through a dealer would this be possable to do as well? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Registered

No expert here, but why not?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vindicator101
Just curious. When I puchasd my boat from a dealer I had them add a few things before I took possession (drive shower, hatch acuators etc) and I was able to roll the cost into my loan. If a boat is brokered through a dealer would this be possable to do as well? Thanks in advance.
The biggest factor is the loan to value amount. If you are buying a boat that is worth 50 for 59 then probably not. If the items are things that will improve the value then the bank may be ok with it. Also the finance manager would have to get a little creative with the loan. If you have any more questions shoot me a pm.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Items like drive showers would not help the NADA value. That's usually what the bank looks at. As mentioned as long as the loan value exceeds the cost shouldn't be an issue.

Try making some of these things you'd like as part of the deal with the owner rather than the dealer. Or just subtract their value and make that your purchase price.

One of my previous boats I bought was brokered. Boat sat in the dealer's showroom for two years. As part of the deal I had the dealer do a complete service on the boat. Fluids, impellers, etc. That was my deposit. If I walked I paid for the service. I bought it and it went towards the purchase price.

There's all kinds of ways to spin it. You're the buyer and in control.

Last edited by Baja_342; 06-14-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
No expert here, but why not?
Because they don't acually own the boat. I thought this might make a difference.

Originally Posted by Baja_302
Items like drive showers would not help the NADA value. That's usually what the bank looks at. As mentioned as long as the loan value exceeds the cost shouldn't be an issue.

Try making some of these things you'd like as part of the deal with the owner rather than the dealer. Or just subtract their value and make that your purchase price.

One of my previous boats I bought was brokered. Boat sat in the dealer's showroom for two years. As part of the deal I had the dealer do a complete service on the boat. Fluids, impellers, etc. That was my deposit. If I walked I paid for the service. I bought it and it went towards the purchase price.

There's all kinds of ways to spin it. You're the buyer and in control.
I can see negotiating with a private party to subtract the cost of some add ons off the purchase price but what about higher priced items like hydraulic steering, trim tabs, headers, etc. I wouldn't think a seller would be willing to lay out 5-10K even if they were to get it back in the final purchace price. This goes back to my original question about a broker also. Would they they be willing to do it? Sorry if I'm not making any sense
I havn't bought and sold too many boats.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Karaokemike
The biggest factor is the loan to value amount. If you are buying a boat that is worth 50 for 59 then probably not. If the items are things that will improve the value then the bank may be ok with it. Also the finance manager would have to get a little creative with the loan. If you have any more questions shoot me a pm.
Thanks Mike, what you've said makes perfect sense and if you were to buy from dealer I wouldn't see a problem. Just didn't know if there was a difference on a brokered boat.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vindicator101
Thanks Mike, what you've said makes perfect sense and if you were to buy from dealer I wouldn't see a problem. Just didn't know if there was a difference on a brokered boat.
Just remember a Broker Boat does not cost the dealer any money.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:50 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the broker. It shouldnt be a problem. It used to be that an approval from a finance company had a certain percentage of "overage" in it that a dealer/broker could submit so the customer could add some electronics or other small options without having to go through the entire approval process again. Say up to 5-10% of the approval. Just ask the broker.