Notices

Operation Dry Water

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation Dry Water

Thinking About Having a Cold One on Your Boat This Weekend? Think Again
Operation Dry Water "Boating Under the Influence" Enforcement will be Underway

Richmond, VA — Virginia boaters, take note that this weekend, June 24th-26th, Conservation Police Officers with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) will be patrolling Virginia's waterways looking for boat operators with a blood alcohol concentration of .08 or higher. Operation Dry Water is a national effort coordinated by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA).

Boating under the influence is not only dangerous to watercraft operators, but also to their passengers and others who enjoy Virginia's waterways. Nationwide almost 20 percent of boating-related fatalities are a result of alcohol, drugs, and some medications. These substances can slow reaction times, impair vision, and lead to boating accidents.

Operating a boat with a blood alcohol concentration of .08 percent or higher is illegal in Virginia. Penalties may include fines, jail, impoundment of boats, and loss of boating privileges. Other consequences could include higher insurance rates and impacts on employment as a BUI conviction is a public record.

Boaters should never boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Designate an operator or leave the alcohol on shore.

In an effort to promote increased awareness of the dangers of boating while under the influence, VDGIF asks Virginians to support programs and policies that help reduce the incidence of impaired boating, to promote safer and healthier behavior regarding the use of alcohol and other drugs and to provide opportunities for all to participate in and enjoy a safe recreational boating season this year.

For more information about Operation Dry Water and boating laws in Virginia visit www.dgif.virginia.gov.

Background on Operation Dry Water

Operation Dry Water is a coordinated, national weekend of Boating Under the Influence (BUI) detection and enforcement aimed at reducing the number of alcohol-related recreational boating accidents and fatalities and fostering a stronger and more visible deterrent to alcohol use on the water.

This nationwide effort is being coordinated by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) working in concert with the states, the United States Coast Guard, and other partner agencies across the country.

VDGIF Conservation Police Officers will be patrolling the waterways in the Commonwealth during this weekend and will be conducting BUI focused enforcement, saturation patrols, chemical (breath) tests, checkpoints, and educational efforts.

Last year there were 105 reported boat accidents in Virginia resulting in 15 deaths. Regrettably, alcohol use plays a role in many boating accidents, and failure to wear a life jacket also contributes to many fatalities on the water each year. More information about boating incidents in Virginia can be found on the agency website www.dgif.virginia.gov.

Recreational boaters need to know:

* Always Wear a Life Jacket
* Do Not Mix Alcohol and Boating
* Take a Safe Boating Course.

Our ultimate goal is for recreational boaters to Be Safe... Be Responsible... And Have Fun!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep them on your side of the river!!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered

I think on the DGIF web site it says joint effort and Dave M said he got stopped leaving Vera's on the same weekend last year.
Be Aware!!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

cant even enjoy a cold beer on your boat... whats the world commin to.
i guess to many idiots ruined it over the years.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac Fever
I think on the DGIF web site it says joint effort and Dave M said he got stopped leaving Vera's on the same weekend last year.
Be Aware!!
Yup, the boat had 3 guys on board, all from different agencies. CG, DNR, and something else.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

like ever thing elese they have to take the fun out it . i agree u do not need to boat drunk . but enjoyoing ur favorite drink on the boat i see nothing wrong with it , i know i';d have a cold one or 3
Old 06-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Everyone who leaves Vera's gets stopped on the weekends. Its the luck of the draw unless they already have someone stopped, if you come out alone your it!!! On the Pax. fun run they were out their just waiting. When I left they had a PWC pulled over so they didnt bother me. St. Leonard creek where Vera's is, only one way in and one way out.
The owner of Vera's cant be happy....he put alot of money into it and its really a nice place to go. It is getting a reputation of a place to avoid if you are on the water.
Your less likely to get stopped by car or motorcycle if you go their than by boat.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Everyone who leaves Vera's gets stopped on the weekends. Its the luck of the draw unless they already have someone stopped, if you come out alone your it!!! On the Pax. fun run they were out their just waiting. When I left they had a PWC pulled over so they didnt bother me. St. Leonard creek where Vera's is, only one way in and one way out.
The owner of Vera's cant be happy....he put alot of money into it and its really a nice place to go. It is getting a reputation of a place to avoid if you are on the water.
Your less likely to get stopped by car or motorcycle if you go their than by boat.
Something to remember, good info. Thanks.