Like Tree0Likes

Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?

Reply
Old 06-24-2011, 05:53 PM
  #1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake George, NY
My Boats: '81 Pantera 24 SE
Posts: 340
Default Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L?

Anyone running a Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L? I know they are not offshore engines but I may be considering one for a possible upcoming project. It would be replacing a 350Mag MPI mated to an alpha ss drive. Any thoughts or forseeable issues?

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recre...l/MV8-62L.aspx

Or possibly the closed cooled OPS version...

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/recre...8-62L-OPS.aspx

Would be looking to run CMI Small Block Headers too...
DjMikeyC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 443
Default

I doubt anyone here is running any of those engines since they are intended to be installed in Master Crafts. i would like to see how they turn out in a stern drive application. Not sure that an Alpha is going to stay together though.
obrien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 PM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Sonic30ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
My Boats: 1987 Sonic 30 SS 1998 45' Wellcraft Excalibur
Posts: 1,056
Default

Nice engine! Build and drive the SS properly it will live. Love to have a couple of those
Sonic30ss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 AM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lake George, NY
My Boats: '81 Pantera 24 SE
Posts: 340
Default

I figured with the weight savings of the aluminum block and heads and extra HP mated to the Alpha SS drive it would be a nice combo.

When you say "Build the drive properly"... what do you mean as I do not have the boat yet... this is all homework before the purchase. I heard you can get HD internals... is that what you mean?
DjMikeyC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 AM
  #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Sonic30ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
My Boats: 1987 Sonic 30 SS 1998 45' Wellcraft Excalibur
Posts: 1,056
Default

Yes there is an HD gear set available, I would consider cryo treating gears, have a really good drive guy set it up with the proper clearances, add drive shower, I use Merc HP gear lube and change every 20 hrs. 20 hrs might seem exessive but it gives you a chance to check on health of drive, since they are NLA it's cheap insurance.
Oh yea it's ok to fly them....see avatar ; )

Last edited by Sonic30ss; 06-25-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Sonic30ss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
My Boats: Advantage 28ft Sport Cat w/ pair of 8's
Posts: 989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjMikeyC View Post
Anyone running a Ilmor Marine MV8 6.2L? I know they are not offshore engines but I may be considering one for a possible upcoming project. It would be replacing a 350Mag MPI mated to an alpha ss drive. Any thoughts or forseeable issues?

Would be looking to run CMI Small Block Headers too...


What is the weight saving of a n Alpha over a Bravo? The reason I ask is, a 400 HP LS motor, mated to a bravo style drive would be almost an indestructible package, with only a small increase in overall weight. I personally would give up a few pounds of weight to have the added durability. Just something to think about.

BTW, the CMI headers are designed for the old small blocks. The lLS style motors have a different port spacing. I'm not sure if they have them for LS motors yet.


Darrell.
DMOORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM
  #7
bor
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
bor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: uithoorn,the netherlands
My Boats: 2016 Predator C306 ,2010 phantom 21 ls2 406 560hp IMCO -3" shorty 1989 hustler 32le cmd 320 hp diesel SOLD
Posts: 665
Default Ls header

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOORE View Post
What is the weight saving of a n Alpha over a Bravo? The reason I ask is, a 400 HP LS motor, mated to a bravo style drive would be almost an indestructible package, with only a small increase in overall weight. I personally would give up a few pounds of weight to have the added durability. Just something to think about.

BTW, the CMI headers are designed for the old small blocks. The lLS style motors have a different port spacing. I'm not sure if they have them for LS motors yet.


Darrell.
They have them I bought mine even 2 years ago , they look very good
But they perform less .
There are more options the last year for the ls engine as they are being more popular.

I think a good ls will kill the alpha mine is making 535 lbs/ft from 3100 till 6300 rpm And have 540 hp @ 6100
bor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:53 AM
  #8
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Sonic30ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
My Boats: 1987 Sonic 30 SS 1998 45' Wellcraft Excalibur
Posts: 1,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bor View Post
They have them I bought mine even 2 years ago , they look very good
But they perform less .
There are more options the last year for the ls engine as they are being more popular.

I think a good ls will kill the alpha mine is making 535 lbs/ft from 3100 till 6300 rpm And have 540 hp @ 6100
I think an Alpha would have a problem with that torque!!!
Nice fat torque curve, that boat must run great
Sonic30ss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 AM
  #9
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
JIMKID Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Livonia Mi Usa
My Boats: 2009 30 LS7 SKATER 711 sold xvi power
Posts: 1,912
Default

hay go with the ls motors there awsome i got two in my boat luv em and dont go with the alpha you will kill it do bravo trust me illmores the whip worked on one the other day in a master craft they do a slick motor
__________________
30 SKATER LS7
JIMKID Motorsports is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,067
Default

Just did a tour of the Ilmor facility Friday, and all I can say is it's incredible! These guys build every Indy car engine for Honda and the technical expertise is incredible! I am super impressed with my 710's, and I'm sure that anything Ilmor builds will be top notch all the way .
If your in Plymouth Michigan , I highly recommend arranging a tour of the facility. Stu from Florida powerboat just did a tour, and I'm sure you'll be seeing something from them shortly!
stainless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.