Notices

Gas gauge way off

Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge way off

I have a 38 Fountain. I just topped it off completely with gas. My gauges both read the same at a little over half. Are these gauges adjustable? They are Gaffrig. Or do I have a sending unit problem? I heard Fountain is notorious for gauge innacurracy
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I never payed much attention to boat gas guages.

Do you have Smartcraft? I've found the "Fuel Used" function in incredibly accurate.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

probably a bad / loose ground.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are adjustable....check the round covers on the floor near the front seat under the carpet. You will find the fuel sending units. Their are 2 tiny screws that are the level adjusments for the gauge.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 06-29-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes they are set up to be read while the boat is in the water and will read different when on the trailer...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
They are adjustable....check the round covers on the floor near the front seat under the carpet. You will find the fuel sending units. Their are 2 tiny screws that are the level adjusments for the gauge.
Thanks. I thought they were adjustable. I'll give that a try. This is why this forum is so awesome
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

They have a full and empty adjustment so you're gonna have to fill it up adjust and then pull the sender out of the tank and adjust empty. With the boat in the water for accuracy! The smartcraft fuel used is way better and its a plug and play deal. Fountains usually read full all day and once the start to drop pay attention because if it says half you will drop to empty real quick
Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Theres several threads about gas gauges in the Fountain forum......I'll save you the time....they suck!

In the end we all agreed.....at half you better start looking for a gas station....at a quarter you better be in sight of the gas station because once that needle touches "E" your done....
Old 07-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Theres several threads about gas gauges in the Fountain forum......I'll save you the time....they suck!

In the end we all agreed.....at half you better start looking for a gas station....at a quarter you better be in sight of the gas station because once that needle touches "E" your done....
LOL.. pretty good. I topped it off, then it reads 1/2.. It seems to be empty at 1/4