Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kids & Powerboats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25741-kids-powerboats.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-03-2002 04:56 PM

Kids & Powerboats

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 3 year old girl that is already grabbing the throttles and is waiting for her day out on the new boat. I also have a 9 month old girl that my wife is nervous about taking out just yet.

How young has anyone taken their kids out?

I read that No Discipline had actually put a car seat in for his 5 yr old. What an idea!

I don't plan on any fast speed with the family aboard. The engines will be way too loud and they may never want to come out again.

Looking for any suggestions and comments. How young is too young?

My 3yr caught the boating disease last year in my 13 footer. :cool: So she's hooked for life. I just want to protect them the best I can.... Thanks in advance.

SHARK

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-03-2002 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These PHOTOS were taken at Skaterfest when the boat was on the trailer. That's why they have no PFD's on. The smiles they are wearing is from their 1st time on the boat. :D :D

THE NAVIGATOR

Iggy 06-03-2002 05:12 PM

The earliest we took our grandson out was at 2 years old.
The only reason we didn't start earlier was that he wasn't around us before then.
I see no reason not to start now with the youngest one, other than your wife's protest.
If you're afraid the loud engines might scare her try having her near the boat, maybe 20-30+ feet away, and then start it up and watch her reaction. If she's ok then bring her closer and then on board.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

euby 06-03-2002 05:15 PM

i've had mine aboard since they were both about 6 months old with no problems. you just have to worry about keeping them out of the sun and cool. they are now 11 and 9 and are more at home on a boat than in a car. the first thing they do is put on the PFD's when they get in....my daughter(11 year old) is starting to think she's to big to wear one ....but ol dad's got news for her:D

Philip 06-03-2002 05:19 PM

Hi Tim, I started my girls boating when they were very young. The trick I used was to start the engines before they even came near the boat, and then bring the girls up to the boat while the motors were ideling. np problem. If i started them while the girls were in the boat, the noise would startle them and the screaming would begin. How are you doing with the new boat? have you run it much.
Philip

BADA BING 06-03-2002 05:23 PM

Sharkey, we took our son out for the first time on our 29 SCARAB in the open ocean when he was about a month old, we put a infant live jackett on him and also a life preserver under his carrier.

Had him out to Havasu twice, he's now 6 mos. old and since the first time we brought him out all he does is sleep (when the engines are running) but when it's quiet is when he wakes up...too funny:D

PS cute kids.

WES311SR1 06-03-2002 05:24 PM

had my son on the boat when he was 1 week old , and ever since then . he will be 4 in 10 days.

thunderdan 06-03-2002 06:18 PM

I started my kids when my son was 4 and my daughter only two, now my daughter is 5 and all she tells me is faster, faster. Her nickname is the speed demon.....Just start them off nice and slow. Get them used to the sound first then start just idling around and slowly speed up.

And Tim, no you can not run like we were in the Poker Run on Saturday. lol:p ;) :D :D

Start them off young and slow and they will love it forever.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-03-2002 06:30 PM

Philip 1st time out with the boat was this weekend with the AC Poker Run. The boat ran great in the Ocean and the Intercoastal. It will take some getting used to though. My little boat requires a much faster reaction with the steering but the hardest transition is standing up and throttling by hand not foot.
Bada Bing My youngest slept through the Dyno Test at Skaterfest :D :D :D She may not be afraid. I may just pick up some ear plugs just in case...
The rest of you...WOW!!! They were young. My wife's biggest concern is that her little brain is still developing and is afraid to bounce her around. I think she would take more of a bounce on the floor of our house then she would in this 28. :D

What type of vests were you guys using?:confused:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-03-2002 06:40 PM

Originally posted by thunderdan

And Tim, no you can not run like we were in the Poker Run on Saturday. lol:p ;) :D :D

Does this mean we can't go in the ocean?:( :( :D :D

thunderdan 06-03-2002 06:45 PM

Maybe next month...:p ;) :D :D

Turbojack 06-03-2002 07:19 PM

Since my son was born in January I thing he did not get his first boat ride until March (3 months). My daugher was born in July & I think I waited until she was maybe 14 days old. I had to wait until wife felt good enough to go out. It was a long time ago (18 years) so I might have mssed on the number of days +/-

In2Deep 06-03-2002 07:51 PM

One daughter was 1 year old -- the other 6 months old when first out on the boat. They're 10 and 5 now.

They love the sport.

dh

ROUGHSTUFF 06-03-2002 08:04 PM

We started with our daughter when she was 9 months. You need to slow down and just have some patience. Keeping her cool and out of the sun was the biggest challenge. Number two is due in July and we will have him/her out next May!

BadDog 06-03-2002 08:59 PM

Our first was a regular at 15 days old. Second started at about 4 months when the weather broke. They are now 10 and 11 with their own boat. They are real good about using the radio and safety procedures etc. Can't start them too young as long as you explain everything you are doing and what the consequences are if you do not.
Tim T.

rjcardinal 06-03-2002 09:09 PM

Our son is 22 months now and has been out on the boat 4 times this year. At 10 months last year we took him out a couple of times. Its true about the engine noise putting them to sleep. All it takes is about 15 minutes of a finely tuned big block barking out of 4" transom exhaust at 3000rpm to put him to sleep. We put in and before the first no wake zone he is sound asleep in the cabin for about an hour and a half. Heck bringing him along on our 22 footer convinced my wife that we should buy the 27 footer we have now. Man do I love having a kid! Everytime he sees our boat or any other for that matter he yells, "Ride Boat Daddy!". He tries to climb in the boat in our driveway. Its funny, he grabs the trailer beam and kicks a leg on it like he can climb in the boat like that. Seriously though a 2 year old is a handfull on a boat and the bulk of the work goes to my wife with me driving. So be aware that your first mate will need a lot of help. It also makes going out without him more enjoyable because its so much easier. Boating is a lifelong family hobby.

Enjoy,

Ron

Shanghied Again 06-03-2002 09:11 PM

Kids

Lets see, Frankie was crawling so he was about 6 Months, Sean was born in a boat almost! He was bounced around when my wife was pregnant and was about 3 Months old when he took his first boat ride, He fell a sleep at 70MPH and he still doe's it today.
Got to love it!

26scarab 06-03-2002 09:15 PM

Last year was my first time taking my girlfriends 3 kids on the boat. 2 boys and a girl , boys are 8 and 10 and the girl is 6.
Well my boat is quite loud (big cam and dry exhaust) and when i fired it up the kids eye's lit up, they were like ..."wow" .
They loved the boating experience, the funny thing is with the kids on board I never went over 3200-3300prms (44mph) and the little girl looked over at me and said "doesn't this go any faster ?" I just shook my head and laughed !

holms 06-03-2002 09:23 PM

Luke was 6 weeks old friday, We had him out at 2 weeks. He rides in his car seat or rides in a baby bijorne on mom. He sleeps alot, just have to be sure to keep out of the sun.
holms

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-03-2002 10:26 PM

This is really turning out to be a great thread! ;) Keep 'em coming! :cool: ThunderDan is that so the water can warm up? :D :D :D

thunderdan 06-03-2002 10:32 PM

you got that right Tim....:D :D

Philip 06-03-2002 10:32 PM

Tim, your wife might be right about the "brain" thing. Come to think of it, I was out boating at a very young age also. That is what happened to most of us, the OSO membership. Thats it we are "Boat Heads"
Philip

Bill272 06-03-2002 10:36 PM

Our son was 4 months when we took him out for the first time. We had a 17' bow rider at the time and he was our spotter when we waterskied on an inland lake up north. Our daughter was an October baby, so she had to wait until she was 7 or 8 months old. They are 5 1/2 and 8 now and still fall asleep, usually on the way back to the dock. They know how to start the blowers, tie a cleat hitch and get out the fenders.

Even though they are fun to have on the boat, it's still nice to go without them once in awhile.

Red Stripe 06-03-2002 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My daughter was about six months old for her first ride on the boat. She's 2 1/2 now and talks about going for a boat ride every single day (usually more than once if you know what I mean:D ) My son took his first boat ride at 3 and now (at 8) wants to help me drive:eek: :D It is truely fun for the whole family!!
Attached is a pic from last weekend

toolman 06-03-2002 10:51 PM

Tim,

Our son was 8 months when we took him out in our 19' Mastercraft ski boat. The car seat worked great, just don't let the boat "slap" too hard, young eyes can get detached retinas easier than adults. Other than that, go easy and keep them out of the sun.

Dave W.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-03-2002 11:30 PM

I guess I'll be in the market for either an umbrella or a temp. bimini huh? Ahhh! Hell no, they can go in the cabin and turn on the 2.5/40 Air Condtioning! (Open hatch and run the 2.5's at 40 MPH.;) :D :D :D

Ted G 06-03-2002 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My oldest was about 2 for his first ride and he is turning into a serious boater at 12(you saw his new toy). My youngest was about 8 months on his first ride and he falls asleep every time. He slept for about an hour in 3-4's this weekend:o Of course having a big cabin and all the stuff makes kids on the boat a little easier. Thank goodness we have 2 different berths for them cause there's NO WAY they would sleep in the same place :rolleyes:

Griff 06-03-2002 11:49 PM

My son had his first boat ride at 5 months old and I only waited that long because the weather was a little too cool. By the end of summer last year he'd been out 5-6 times and the starting of the engine still gave him a little scare, as it still does at 17 months old.

Steve 1 06-03-2002 11:54 PM

My oldest Son was driving a Boat at the age of 4, with myself onboard of course, Thanks Sharkey for bringing back the memories, He also starts Collage next year where did all the time go? Suddenly I feel very old.

Best Regards

LakeRacer 06-04-2002 02:20 AM

The future is here!

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the nearly 50 kids in attendance at the last Heat Wave Poker Run. Our poker runs aren't just for the adults. The kids need to have fun also. :D

LakeRacer 06-04-2002 02:23 AM

And another

1 Attachment(s)
This is our grand prize winner (kids) picking up his new mountain bike.

Dave M 06-04-2002 09:04 AM

My two children started boating at about 6 mos. It's tough on my wife handling the kids while I handle the boat but we still have fun. I try to keep it under 50 MPH when the family is on board. My kids don't get scared but my wife does. Make sure you have plenty of sun screen. I have one of those "Anchor Shades" that I put up if I am going to be sitting for a while.

turbo2256 06-04-2002 09:29 AM

You guys are sooooo lucky

Eric1969 06-04-2002 09:56 AM

Great thread Sharkey,

I have 2 boys, one is almost 5 yrs. old and the other is a little over 1. The oldest one, Jake, loves to sit in the bow and has a blast. The smaller one can NOT stay wake when the boat moves. When we stop though, it is kinda a pain. Not very good balance with the waves hitting the boat. He is getting better though.

Suggestions-
Sunscreen, bimini top, toys, and a life jacket that won't choke the crap out of them. My wife got a great one that supports his head but doesn't choke him.

Let them "drive". My oldest has no middle ground. We either go really slow or he drops the throttle for some quick fun. Both boys love to "jump" wakes.

BAJA342 06-04-2002 10:10 AM

GREAT POST!!

This post could not have come at a better time. We are due anytime now. Date is 6/14/02 but doc. says anyday. I was saying to my wife we can take the baby out in July. No fast running and it would be during the week with less traffic. She was not to keen on the idea. Keep the good posts coming so I can convice her.

Frank

hp500efi 06-04-2002 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't have any pictures of my Sons out boating BUT here is a photo of them at a recent MX race we attended.

Nick 11
Curt 9
Logan 7 (yeah, he is the one acting goofy)

All the boys love boating and have been a part of it since the day they were born. Our other boats were not as big and fast so we tended to take it easy. Of course now they are alittle older and realize how much fun boating can be in fact they are my key to getting a bigger faster boat. Mom has a hard time telling "the boys" slower is better :). Most important thing any parent can do is give the kids swimming lessons so that they are not afraid of the water. I can't believe some of my Sons friends who are so afraid of the water it is mind boggling. If only those parnets knew, they would get the kids lessons and their fears would be over. It is much ieasier when they are young than at an older age.

Most of my boating is around inland lakes and rivers and not much big wave water so we are really never out in very dangerous conditions. I would keep the kids at home if we planned on a real nasty wet ride because as you mentioned, they would get turned off right away and may never want to go again.

seanclong 06-04-2002 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Too Old
We took our kids out from the beginning. I don't know what it is about the noise, but when they were young, it would seem to put them to sleep. :)

My father did the same. I really don't recall a summer without boats. Pass the passion on to your kids. :)

When my daughter was only one year old she was the same way. Start up the engine and ten minutes later she would be snoring.:D Maybe because it's only a 7.4 MPI :eek: LOL!!!:D

Uncle Toys 06-04-2002 11:37 AM

Kewl thread!

Your guys are killing me. My kids are 19 and 17. Hey Too Old, think we can trade them in or something? Best I can remember, they were 11 and 9 when we got started, so I missed all this kewl stuff. Guess I got to wait until the grandkids come along.

Phillip – “Boat Heads,” I like that! Dead Heads, Parrot Heads, Boat Heads. Storyline of my life. Maybe Jeffrey should work on a shirt with that theme.

LakeRacer – You have no idea how kewl that was for all those kids. You did an awesome job!

SeaDated 06-04-2002 11:45 AM

I had my first daughter out at 7 weeks old and second shortly after that. They love to boat and they are a joy to have with us. They are now 9 and 7 years old and drive pretty good. Wow, time flies!

dyno 06-04-2002 11:52 AM

Took my daughter Autumn fo her first ride sunday....she's 6 months old and slept though most of the ride....liked everything but the life jacket, its a bit cumbersome. when she gets a little larger (over 30 lbs) you can get a swim suit with the floatation built in that is CoastGuard approved I think that will be better...