Like Tree0Likes

boatin with a broken arm

Reply
Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 PM
  #1
Registered
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: iowa
My Boats: 2ND VELOCITY 280. LONG LIVE THE PAD
Posts: 698
Default boatin with a broken arm

my 9y/o son fell and broke both bones in his forearm. DR says no swimming for the next 6 weeks. HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

He would be bouncing off the walls in the cabin, if he can't swim, so I'm thinking The boat will be sitting for next few weeks.

F MY LIFE!

Last summer I have all the time in the world, and the boat didn't cooperate. this year the boat has been great, and its been one thing after another with work, kids sports, wifes class, and now broken bones!

sorry, i'm venting.
cabin fever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:41 PM
  #2
Registered
 
SS930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: At the office.
My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16
Posts: 6,684
Default

Sorry bro... next time around don't have kids!
SS930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM
  #3
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Dave M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LaPlata, MD, USA
My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados
Posts: 5,222
Default

What about covering the cast with a plastic bag and sealing with some tape?

Life isn't always easy. My kid's activities cut into my boating time. But, I had many yrs. to do what I wanted before they arrived, and I will have many after they are on their own.
Dave M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 PM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL
My Boats: Old/Heavy/Slow
Posts: 6,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
What about covering the cast with a plastic bag and sealing with some tape?

Life isn't always easy. My kid's activities cut into my boating time. But, I had many yrs. to do what I wanted before they arrived, and I will have many after they are on their own.
I shattered my wrist when I was 9 and had a cast from my hand all the way up past the elbow. Garbage bag and duct tape and I was swimming in the creek!
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, AR
My Boats: 2003 Advantage Victory 32
Posts: 779
Default

Shane, I feel yer pain. Paula fell and broke her humerus last Friday. She will be down for 12-20 WEEKS!!! Might as well winterize the damn boat!
CrownHawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM
  #6
Registered
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: iowa
My Boats: 2ND VELOCITY 280. LONG LIVE THE PAD
Posts: 698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownHawg View Post
Shane, I feel yer pain. Paula fell and broke her humerus last Friday. She will be down for 12-20 WEEKS!!! Might as well winterize the damn boat!
Wow Brian, sorry to hear that. Hope she recovers quickly.

Caleb has a follow up Tuesday. I am going to push for a waterproof cast, but its from his wrist to his shoulder right now, so he couldn't swim anyway.
cabin fever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
  #7
Registered
 
AIR TIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: EASTON MA.
My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace
Posts: 6,281
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin fever View Post
my 9y/o son fell and broke both bones in his forearm. DR says no swimming for the next 6 weeks. HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

He would be bouncing off the walls in the cabin, if he can't swim, so I'm thinking The boat will be sitting for next few weeks.

F MY LIFE!

Last summer I have all the time in the world, and the boat didn't cooperate. this year the boat has been great, and its been one thing after another with work, kids sports, wifes class, and now broken bones!

sorry, i'm venting.
hey there are water casts made of fg that have air holes between the wrap.. I went swimming with mine during spring break 85. dove off of decks into hotel pools and it held up. I think I used cling wrap if anything. I am behind on getting my boat finished, hurt my left nut just before the 4th so I waited until the 6th to see a doc. Iam use to pain,so I had to have day surgery cause a infection started from waiting so the last 6 days I had to go back every day to have the packing redone. very pain full so I can't work on my boat till next week thats a 2 week loose then 2 weeks to finish. so I know how you feel. but look to see after 2 or 3 weeks if they can do a fg cast. good luck. Art ps. venting and crying
AIR TIME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lk. st. Clair MI
My Boats: 33 POWERPLAY
Posts: 4,498
Default

Gameboy and cabin... priceless...


Seriously though even if he can't swim I'm sure there are things that he can do out there. My 15 yr old was raised on a boat and for a few seasons wouldn't touch the water. Got her a dvd player and gameboy, she preferred to read so bought her a bunch of books and still took her out. It's not as hard as you might think...
POWERPLAY J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
  #9
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Conway, AR
My Boats: 2003 Advantage Victory 32
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin fever View Post
Wow Brian, sorry to hear that. Hope she recovers quickly.

Caleb has a follow up Tuesday. I am going to push for a waterproof cast, but its from his wrist to his shoulder right now, so he couldn't swim anyway.
Yeah, she is taking it pretty hard since last spring, she broke her left shoulder and was in a sling for pretty much the entire summer as well. I told her "Man babe! I'm sure gonna miss you out on the water....." That went over like a turd in a punch bowl! LOL! She's got osteoporosis and her bones are like glass! I told her I was gonna get her a suit that looks like the michelen man! She just laughed.
CrownHawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
  #10
Registered
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: iowa
My Boats: 2ND VELOCITY 280. LONG LIVE THE PAD
Posts: 698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownHawg View Post
Yeah, she is taking it pretty hard since last spring, she broke her left shoulder and was in a sling for pretty much the entire summer as well. I told her "Man babe! I'm sure gonna miss you out on the water....." That went over like a turd in a punch bowl! LOL! She's got osteoporosis and her bones are like glass! I told her I was gonna get her a suit that looks like the michelen man! She just laughed.
Thats pretty funny.

It actually hit Caleb pretty hard yesterday, that he is down for at least 6 weeks. Sad part is he was pretty into BMX racing. He was chasing 2nd place in State points. He was also suppossed to start Football camp Monday. I told him, we can still have fun, just have to find a different way. He goes in for a follow up next tuesday, so we should know more then. could have been much worse.
cabin fever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.