Boating with a 2 year old...

Notices

Boating with a 2 year old...

Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by socalstone
Our son has been boating with us since 6 months. Now have a baby girl she goes out too. Don't strap them in, just drive gently and let mom hang on to them. Most of our time on the water is going somewhere and sitting still anyway. Life vests are mandatory of course, but other than that, just be careful and all will be fine. enjoy!
That's pretty much exactly the plan I followed with my son - now almost 19. When he was little, he's fall asleep immediately when we came up on plane and wake up as soon as we came off. His mom held him in her lap until he figured he was big enough to sit up on his own - which was probably around 4. He's the connsumate boater now and we never had a problem.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett
Is that an LSx I see back there? Details?
Good eye

Not to take the thread off topic, but here's a couple links for you.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/swap-insan...ered-jet-boat/

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...-jet-boat.html

And now to bring it back to topic, we'll see how things shake out for my daughter's first ride in the 288 this weekend. She does great in the hot-rod, so I'm sure she'll probably fall asleep as soon as the engine starts.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Good eye

Not to take the thread off topic, but here's a couple links for you.

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/swap-insan...ered-jet-boat/

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...-jet-boat.html

And now to bring it back to topic, we'll see how things shake out for my daughter's first ride in the 288 this weekend. She does great in the hot-rod, so I'm sure she'll probably fall asleep as soon as the engine starts.
Very cool
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered

i think you have your answer, no seat, go slow, keep your eyes open for every other boater out there.

that being said you have the car seat all ready. rig it up and try it. you'll know within 10 minutes (probably more like 1 minute) wether or not it is good for the kid. if it your kid is not enjoying the seat take her out.

i have two daughters 9 and 7. we go out on my friends and brothers 18-21 foot jetboat every summer in barnegat bay, nj. it can get pretty rough...(i know they are older but i hold on to them and they weigh 65-80lbs)
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yeah, thats the plan.

Rig up the seat and see if she likes it and is comfortable. Won't bother using the straps.

If she's not into it, plug the seat into my other truck and leave it there instead of swapping two car seats between four vehicles.

I'll let you know how it works out, maybe someone else can learn something from my 'experiment'

As you say, it'll probably be very obvious within the first minute, as soon as we get past the no wake zone.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered

My son is almost 2 1/2 and been boating since 6 months.....sits on my wife's lap in bolster and still falls asleep a couple mins after getting up on plane. He loves the boat....Just use common sense.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dra200832
Great info! !!! I got a little girl 8 weeks old an trying to figure out when to take her out. I only have a 28 foot powerquest
I would wait until she can hold her head up on her own. It'll will make the life vest less uncomfortable and holding her comfortably isn't quite so hard.