Need info  4 removing a #6 spacer >

Need info 4 removing a #6 spacer

Notices

Need info 4 removing a #6 spacer

Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info 4 removing a #6 spacer

I need some info for removing a 1/2" spacer on a #6 drive. Is there any tips or tricks for removing the spacer and reinstalling it with out the spacer? Thanks for any help/info
Old 07-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

you'll have to get new studs designed for no spacer from Mercury and a snap-on stud remover that threads on the stud or you will ruin the old studs trying to remove them. The tool clamps down on the threads once it in place. part #CG500 for 9/16 18 pitch threads.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered

you will also need shorter oil tubes on a dry sump 6
Old 07-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Can add 1/2" stud spacers instead of changing studs also. An option if you are looking to test before swapping studs.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info!!! the drives are dry sump/swept back skeg drives, is there any thing I have to do other then un bolt the drives, remove the spacer and change the studs to shorter ones? Nothing other then just drop the lower unit, remove the studs, replace the studs with the standard length, change the oil tube back to standard length, and reinstall lower unit? any change to the gear shaft inside for 1/2"spacer going back to standard height? I just purchased the boat a month ago and drives at neutral trim do not throw a rooster tail. The boat is a 97' 42 fountain, came from the factory with #6s(wet) and 800 mercs, and was later changed to dry sumped #6s and 1000hp's. props are 4 blade 18 x 33 boat runs around 105mph, I feel the drivess are to low in the water. Any ideas???? Thanks