Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I don't get it!  Help me to understand. .!?!?! >

I don't get it! Help me to understand. .!?!?!

Notices

I don't get it! Help me to understand. .!?!?!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

So many great observations here, but the one I keep coming back to is—the economy. People are, in general, working harder and longer to make less money. That translates to reduced "leisure time" (yeah, right) and fewer dollars to spend when you have it.

On the plus side: This year, Jammin on the James had something like 15 fewer boats than it did last year—that's more than a 10 percent decline—but about the same number of participants. That translates to more people in each boat or, as someone here said, a form of recreational "carpooling." I've observed the same at a couple of Florida Powerboat Club poker runs as well.

I also know of performance-boat owners who run shorter distances and do a whole lot more floating offshore to reduce fuel costs. I realize that's not much of an adrenaline shot, but frankly I can't think of many better ways to spend a day on the water.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
YEP - and what really grinds my gears is when people have the audacity to schedule weddings during boating season. PISSES ME OFF.

Actually, on this note, my wedding is scheduled at a lake and it is openly known the boat is going to be there. Makes the wedding fun for me too! Oct 1, TX, weather should be great still
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now that could be a wedding one would be happy to attend
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Allicat38
Now that could be a wedding one would be happy to attend
Yea, originally I wanted it to be in the Keys after a PR but she would not greenlight that idea.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The older I get, the more I seem to do my boating during quiet times. I just don't want to deal with the crowds and nonsense that comes along with the crowd. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the raft-up once in a while. With all the BWI laws and knuckle heads out their, I just don't enjoy it like I used to. I work my butt off and put in many hours in my business, when I'm not working I want to be stress free. I do most of my boating during the week from 6 PM-9 PM. (When I say "BWI" laws, I am all for them, however you don't have to be intoxicated to get a Boating While Intoxicated around here, and that I'm against)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenstein
The older I get, the more I seem to do my boating during quiet times. I just don't want to deal with the crowds and nonsense that comes along with the crowd. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the raft-up once in a while. With all the BWI laws and knuckle heads out their, I just don't enjoy it like I used to. I work my butt off and put in many hours in my business, when I'm not working I want to be stress free. I do most of my boating during the week from 6 PM-9 PM. (When I say "BWI" laws, I am all for them, however you don't have to be intoxicated to get a Boating While Intoxicated around here, and that I'm against)
We find ourselves going out on Monday, Tue, Wed afternoons a lot. Have the whole lake to ourselves.