Like Tree0Likes

New guy questions about Awesome....

Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 velocity 290sc
Default New guy questions about Awesome....

I am new to this forum and found a lot of info here. I am doing my research for the wife and I's first boat. Im leaning toward a 2001 awesome 260fx. I am looking for current and past owners to chime in. what are your thoughts on my choice and what ares do I need to really pay attension to when inspecting the boat. what questions should i ask. I have been around boats for most of my life, its now time to drive not ride. Im a wrench turning gear head and own a 726 hp bbc malibu, a hyabusa turbo sand rail, and my dd car is a 500hp pontiac g8 gxp sedan. I have no problems with maintenance and repairs and know the mod bug will bite me. Fast Is Fun. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie124 View Post
I am new to this forum and found a lot of info here. I am doing my research for the wife and I's first boat. Im leaning toward a 2001 awesome 260fx. I am looking for current and past owners to chime in. what are your thoughts on my choice and what ares do I need to really pay attension to when inspecting the boat. what questions should i ask. I have been around boats for most of my life, its now time to drive not ride. Im a wrench turning gear head and own a 726 hp bbc malibu, a hyabusa turbo sand rail, and my dd car is a 500hp pontiac g8 gxp sedan. I have no problems with maintenance and repairs and know the mod bug will bite me. Fast Is Fun. Thanks in advance.
which one are you looking at? what power and drive is on it
Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered

Its on craigslist Kansas city mo. Its a 260 fx with 502 Whipple charged. Haven't went to look at it yet. Gathering info so im prepared to ask and look at the right things. What are the tell tell signs of abuse or damage.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

you need a moisure meter, rubber hammer to tap hull checking for voids or hollow sounds, crawl up in the tunnel check for rotting, water, check fluids in drives, motors, leak down. check to see if all controls work
Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: boatless

make sure you drive it, a couple in this area I remember had some porpoise issues
Old 07-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered

Cool

Thanks again for the replies. With a supercharged 502 what drive should it have or would be recomened. A test drive will be required before I buy any boat but don't understand the porpius thing. Is that where the boat wants to dive forward and then back like a dolphin. What should the boat run speed wise....WOT and cruise speed rpm. Will this be a good starting platform for a newbie cat guy. Been driving family 34 mach 1 and 24 baja. It will be a small lake boat and get trailered to and from. Will my 07 chevy tahoe pull it ok.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 2009 30 LS7 SKATER 711 sold xvi power

if you have the money get a 28 skater stay away from the awsome bang for the buck cant be beat
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Check the hull really good . A month ago a guy brought a cat to the shop he just bought in Miami . He said it's so fast I told the old owner to slow down and after that I had to have it. He got sold a fast ride. we inspected it and I found that the boat had patches every where . Then on the bottom I saw a straight crack going from side to side looked closer the bottom gelcot was seperating from the glass delamination. Called a good friend that specializes in hulls and glass work . He checked with a rubber hammer and gave the guy the bad news . The core was rotted and the transom was getting weak. He said the boat runs fine and took it away. Watch out alot of people are scammers . Get the boat surveyed and check it your self to .
Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie124 View Post
Its on craigslist Kansas city mo. Its a 260 fx with 502 Whipple charged. Haven't went to look at it yet. Gathering info so im prepared to ask and look at the right things. What are the tell tell signs of abuse or damage.
When you get there ask the seller if a recent survey has been done. If he says yes ask for the report. If he says no ask him if he knows a reputable Marine surveyor. It will cost you anywhere from $200-$500 but you really need to have one done to know what condition the boat is in.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

All good info here about the Survey. I think the Awesome's where notorious for Porposing at any speed. When you go for a test drive, drive it at all different speeds and see where it does it and see if it annoys you. there is a chance you can make it not porpose (but some cats do it no matter what) as said earlier a skater of the same size is a much better choice (and it'll probably be faster )