Coast Guard register deletion >

Coast Guard register deletion

Notices

Coast Guard register deletion

Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Indiana, if you buy a boat and USCG register it, you don't have to pay the 7% sales tax. You do the math on that one .
CG registering is something like $180.

Then you can also pay the standard registration fess for the state numbers at the local BMV in order to get the state registration numbers. Keeps the CO's from coming over and checking you out if they see the regular registration numbers.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cost 15.00 to get a letter from the national vessel documentation center calll for details 800 799 8362. you must write or fax a letter that your the new owner. writing is easier because you can include a check takes about 10 days. you bring the title, a bill of sale and the letter to the state. Without reg . # you will get hassled more often.

Last edited by northernoffshore; 07-27-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you correctly letter your documented vessel with the name prominently displayed AND hailing port letters at least 4" high, you should have no issues. The Coasties that I've spoken with say that many documented vessels either leave the hailing port off, or use letters that are too small, which gets their attention. I agree with what's already been said: Keep it documented. It's free and it keeps you better-protected.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tim brown
you tend to get stoped more when you don't have numbers on the side of your boat . pay and register localy .
my 353 is documented and have never been stopped .....m
Old 08-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

If your home port is in MD , I am pretty sure you will need local registration and stickers .

Last edited by notda1; 08-01-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Originally Posted by notda1
If your home port is in MD , I am pretty sure you will need local registration and stickers .
Nope. 8 years on the Bay, documented only, and a fresh USCG courtesy examination every year; no problem. You just need to buy the Maryland Use sticker for $15 every 2 years.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew you needed a state sticker of some sort , do you still pay a state sales tax ?

Last edited by notda1; 08-02-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,320 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
In Indiana, if you buy a boat and USCG register it, you don't have to pay the 7% sales tax. You do the math on that one .
CG registering is something like $180.

Then you can also pay the standard registration fess for the state numbers at the local BMV in order to get the state registration numbers. Keeps the CO's from coming over and checking you out if they see the regular registration numbers.
Not paying the state sales tax (7%) was the big one for me, varies by state.

Here you still have to register but not display. I did that for a few years then when I was getting it CG inspected and the guy didn't know it, I put numbers on just in case.

Never got stopped either way.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Originally Posted by notda1
I knew you needed a state sticker of some sort , do you still pay a state sales tax ?
Only if you paid less sales tax (out-of-state) than you would in MD, and you've owned the boat for less than 3 years. After 3 years, sales tax due to MD is based on the current fair market value. If your original sales tax is more than the fair market value tax, you're OK. If you bought your boat in a state that has a higher sales tax than MD, you're in free and clear right away.

This applies in MD whether or not you are documented. Documentation does save you the annual boat registration fees, but more importantly, it provides a more robust record of your boat's history, like a title search does for your house.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In Fla you have to pay the sales tax to register the Vessel ....umm... what the Bill of Sale states ...m

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.