Notices

Regular or Premium gas?

Old 07-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I have gotton from running higher octane than 87 is added soot on the back of the boat, I will put some 91 the first tank of the season to add to last years fuel to compensate for octane loss from sitting.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
I may have the wrong motor. I think this motor runs slower with 93 then 87. The ecm would run the motor just before detonation. With 93 the ecm would not see any sign of detonation from the knock sensor and would think the knock sensor was bad, and run with reduce timing, thus giving less performance that 87 octane.
So you're saying when there is no knock the ECM pulls timing because it thinks the sensor is faulty???
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
So you're saying when there is no knock the ECM pulls timing because it thinks the sensor is faulty???
Motor was a 454, not sure what year this was a problem but yes. ECM ran the timing on the verge of detonation. When it thought it should see detonation and did not, it backed the timing way up.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Registered

87 octane for those engines.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by JMS322
There is NO advantage to running premium 93 octane fuel in an engine that calls for 87 octane. In fact it is proven that it may even produce less hp than the 87 octane, therefore may be a tad slower. It does on the other hand smell a lot better.
X2

All higher octane will do is make your transom sooty from not burning as completely.