Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Difference between add-on and full-hydraulic steering... >

Difference between add-on and full-hydraulic steering...

Notices

Difference between add-on and full-hydraulic steering...

Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between add-on and full-hydraulic steering...

I just bought a 2003 24ft Superboat with a 6.2 mpi and a bravo one with standard power steering. I cannot stand the way the boat handles when I counter-steer at speed and also hate how I cannot keep the boat tracking straight when im going in and out of my canal. The boat tops out at 64mph, I might upgrade to a 496 HO in the future which should get about 75mph but that is it. I am looking to upgrade the steering. If I go with an add-on system will that cure the crab-walking at idle? or will only a full-hydraulic cure that??? Also what differences will I feel at speed between the 2 systems??? Is it worth the extra money for the full hydraulic system or can I get away with the add-on???? keep in mind I do not think I am a race-boat driver and am happy with a 75mph boat.... thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Nothing will keep a single engine boat from wandering at idle. That is caused by the prop spinning in one direction.

I have had both add on and full hyd. I would recommend going full hyd. over an add on.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

As GRiff has correctly stated, most singel engine V-bottoms do wonder a bit at idle speeds. Generally speaking, it's not a stering problems but a dynamics issue with severl factors coming together and the result being an intersting wander. If that's the case. adding hydraulic steering will do nothing to solve the problem.

If however the stock steering system in your boat is worn, it may contribute to the wandering issue. With your boat on the trailer, grasp the drive and attempt to swing it back and forth. If it has any play at all in it, that might explain part of your problem. If you do have play, there are some much less expensive options to remove that play before going to hydraulic steering. I will say though that once you've had it, you won't go back to anything less.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got full hydraulic on mine and it wanders at idle too. Being such a narrow deep V, and a single engine, I've come to accept it's the nature of the beast...
Old 08-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a latham external hydraulic steering on a single outboard v-hull and it also wanders at idle. It can be annoying at times since I am always applying steering input.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

On my twin, I try not to constantly correct the wander, and let it go back and forth and try to get the middle of the wander pointed in the direction I want to go and then make small corrections along the way. This way I am not constantly sawing the wheel back and forth to keep the bow pointed exactly in the desired direction of travel. Have full hydraulic system and it is tight, no movement of the drives at all unless you turn the wheel. But you look at the prop wash out the back and you would think the drives are going full lock one way then the other at idle speeds. Had the wife steer once, telling her not to turn the wheel at all unless we were going to hit something while I hung over the stern looking, drives rock solid, propwash all over the place. Nature of the beast!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
On my twin, I try not to constantly correct the wander, and let it go back and forth and try to get the middle of the wander pointed in the direction I want to go and then make small corrections along the way. This way I am not constantly sawing the wheel back and forth to keep the bow pointed exactly in the desired direction of travel. Have full hydraulic system and it is tight, no movement of the drives at all unless you turn the wheel. But you look at the prop wash out the back and you would think the drives are going full lock one way then the other at idle speeds. Had the wife steer once, telling her not to turn the wheel at all unless we were going to hit something while I hung over the stern looking, drives rock solid, propwash all over the place. Nature of the beast!
Same problem with me the other day, only stock steering but wandered like crazy idling through no wake. I usually have the tabs down from coming off plane so I raised them an it took about 80% of the wander away. I'm planning on doing some kind of add on this winter because I seem to go through gimbals on a daily basis.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 27' Hallett with twin Scorpions. I posted this exact same question about 6 months ago. I got some really good feedback and will try to share it with you.

Somone said when idling put your tabs all the way down, this does help a lot. Also do not chase the wander. My boat had cable steering to the transom and then hydraulic out to the outdrives. I have since added full hydraulic from the helm to the transom. This got rid of all play and made the steering very easy to turn.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the prop & water doing it...If you notice that when you are gliding with boat in neutral..no wander...when prop is spinning...boat wanders..the way the prop pulls boat thru water creates wander at idle speeds and the makeup of the water you are propping thru...JMHO after noticing the difference when I pull into a dock gliding vs under power
Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I think every boat is different for wandering as mine seems better when tabs are up. I agree don't "chase" it too much and after awhile you will be able to counter-steer before the wander happens.

As far as the hydraulic steering is concerned go full hydraulic, you'll be glad you spent the extra money plus it is much safer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.