Notices

Fuel tank leaking

Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You state that since DAY 1 you noticed the smell.
Maybe there is more to this than the obvious.

I agree that the change in fuel that may be the cause of this cant be the responsibility of OL.

But saying that, I think that OL ( when they first discovered the effects of ethanol on their tanks) should have sent a bulletin to all their customers and to all the boat dealers that may be dealing with their used boats stating the problem.

The heads up would surely have been a good corporate move for safety reasons and also would have given those affected a chance to remedy their problem during non boating months so that they didnt lose a boating season that in a lot of cases is fairly short.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joey,

If your fuel tanks are leaking, I would not use the boat. If you're really not sure, call Ronnie... him and I will come down and take a look.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
If you got two boats of this caliber and worrying about a fuel tank. I wish I had your worries
He didn't say he owned 2 of those boats. Re-read his post.

I would be pissed.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The bladder manufacturers when I talked to them all said that they only last about 6 years with 10% and less life span with more ethenol. So I guess you can question why OL would use them, I am not sure at the time that your boat was made that OL would have known that these things did not last as long, I am sure they thought that they would last longer then the alluminum.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i think they use the bladders not for weight savings aluminum tanks can crack and leak too my 3 cents wourth
Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

There is a 2006 at LOTO that a guy had the tanks changed also in his 39. He also smelled gas from day one. The ACL tanks are really for race boats and there is only about a 70 lb.weight savings over alum. Get someone that is good to do it;you have to cut the floor open.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Still the tank and boat was built before this kind of fuel was out there. If companies did fix every little thing, products would cost a lot more. When your computer is out of date after 6 months do does HP buy you a new one? I dont think so.

IMVHO if I had a six figure costing boat I sure as heck wouldnt be putting ethanol in the dang boat.
In many states the ethanol fuels started in 2000-2001. Mo for example.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catastrophe
You state that since DAY 1 you noticed the smell.
Maybe there is more to this than the obvious.

I agree that the change in fuel that may be the cause of this cant be the responsibility of OL.

But saying that, I think that OL ( when they first discovered the effects of ethanol on their tanks) should have sent a bulletin to all their customers and to all the boat dealers that may be dealing with their used boats stating the problem.

The heads up would surely have been a good corporate move for safety reasons and also would have given those affected a chance to remedy their problem during non boating months so that they didnt lose a boating season that in a lot of cases is fairly short.
Agree,at least the could have made the floor with a removable section so it won't have to be cut out,sorry thats a disgrace.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

bada-bing, General consensus, listed above, seems to hold Ethanol accountable for your dilemma.

You are in position to collaborate with OL, Reggie Fountain (He posted), other manufactures, most of the OSO members and others effected.

The collaborated group would cite your specific dilemma when contacting Congress for a solution. The question to Congree; "What Do We Do About This" is straight forward and not only deserves response, but answers.

Short term, this suggestion may not solve your problem. However, OL and others involved with boats and Ethanol should recognize your dilemma as an opportunity. The opportunity for OL is, subject to reversing the Marine Ethanol, the boating industry should regain traction. The general economy is one thing, disparity situations like yours, is another.

Were I, at the helm of OL or any other effected Logo, negative cash flow negates customer service. (That is, if the linear line of growth is down, with no foreseeable relief.) Companies cut their loss and run, all the time.

On the other hand, as OL and others collaborate, it may be seen as light at the end of the tunnel and ultimately support your negotiation with OL.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bada-bing
I have a 2005 39 Outerlimits Quattro,which i purchased brand new in 05.Ever since day one i always noticed a gas smell,which i was told was common with an Outerlimits.Over the past couple of seasons i have noticed the smell getting stronger,always coming from the cabin.My mechanic and myself noticed yesterday a small amount of gasoline in the shower bilge.I was told some years back that Outerlimits uses the vacuum bag fuel cells.After speaking to Outerlimits yesterday i was told that since the ethanol has been increased in gas,that the bags are deteriorating.I was also surpised to hear that they expect me to pay for this to be corrected.My answer to this was that i didn't have a choice of what type of tank should go in this boat,so why should i be held responsible for this?I was also told by some people with first hand knowledge that this has been a common occurance with the 39's.I was also dumfounded to why Outerlimit's did not send letter's out to their customers making them aware of this issue.Is Outerlimit's more concerned with their "bottomline",than the safety of their customers???Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.
Hey, we met last week at Ocean Beach, i have the 2005 blue/silver 39 O.L. My boat had the bladder tanks as well, the prior owner had them removed and took the opportunity to install a new cockpit. The floor does have to come out, icluding the back seat. Another O.L. owner withn our boat, "Whataride" (scott) had the same problem and had the bladder tanks and cockpit done down in F.L., you may want to reach out to him. It could be a nice option if things become acrimonious with the O.L. factory. I would not expect restitution from O.L. at this late date. P.M. if you want to discuss further. -Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.