Like Tree0Likes

Jackplates on Offshore Boats

Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain1fan View Post
probley so . but u will need lower water pickup on them to get full benettfit of the jack plats. check out www.bobsmechine.com he use to make so bad plats for hulls like yours .
You spelled it wrong:
http://www.bobsmachine.com/
Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Slippery when wet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepV View Post
Lots of good info so far, thank you all.

My motors are mounted on an Armstrong bracket and set to the highest holes. Problem is coming out of hole you get cavitation until getting on plane, just have to continuously throttle back until full planing and cavitation stops. Motors are also mounted as close together as possible.

Then it seems you can only trim so much before 'arching/trimming' to much and begin to deplete performance.

So what I'm thinking is adding jack plates would allow lowering motor mounting back down. This way you will still have manuevarabilty around docking, get on plane better then raise motors rather than trimming. I guess I'd also be able to run in shallower water.

Please explain what type of water pickups you need. I have low water pickups now, I guess, factory units. If having to water lower units also then the idea begins to sound worse.

I guess I also just want to run a rooster tail.
I was not aware of that,What prop work have you done?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:09 AM
British member!
VIP Member

My Boats: BananaShark 2001 24'

With respect there is information missing here - speed is a critical factor! If it isn't going fast enough to begin with jackplates aren't going to make much difference! We have broken a few and Stainless Marine are the strongest by far - not an issue if you're not going to push the boat hard.

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1992 Progression 22

Quote:
Lots of good info so far, thank you all.

My motors are mounted on an Armstrong bracket and set to the highest holes. Problem is coming out of hole you get cavitation until getting on plane, just have to continuously throttle back until full planing and cavitation stops. Motors are also mounted as close together as possible.

Then it seems you can only trim so much before 'arching/trimming' to much and begin to deplete performance.

So what I'm thinking is adding jack plates would allow lowering motor mounting back down. This way you will still have manuevarabilty around docking, get on plane better then raise motors rather than trimming. I guess I'd also be able to run in shallower water.

Please explain what type of water pickups you need. I have low water pickups now, I guess, factory units. If having to water lower units also then the idea begins to sound worse.

I guess I also just want to run a rooster tail.
Ah, now that's a whole different ball game. Sounds like you want to use a jack plate to actually lower the motors for a better hole shot, then have the ability to raise them even higher for more top end. The difference is, you're already up pretty far. And yes, having the motors up high will hurt your hole shot. But, over trimming loosing you speed can happen at almost any height.

For what it's worth, here's my opinion. Check with the boat's manufacturer first. They've probably got some experience here. It might be as simple as trying a set of props with more blades to get you the best of both worlds. If you do add jack plates on the back of a bracket, you may over-stress the bracket because that will be a ton of setback.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Registered

My Boats: 162 scout flats 90 merc

Quote:
You spelled it wrong:
http://www.bobsmachine.com/
u got the idea .
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Registered

I'd say the biggy here is watchin your water pressure and engine temp. I ya dont have both be VERY carefull . The rooster looks cool till pop its done for the day!