Like Tree0Likes

Is Your Boat Longer Than 39.4'?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

PDF on IPAD
Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered

Am I the only one that read this and the first word that came to mind was tax?? But then so did a hobo on the street but hey poloticians, hobo's on the street its all about the same
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoater View Post
Am I the only one that read this and the first word that came to mind was tax?? But then so did a hobo on the street but hey poloticians, hobo's on the street its all about the same
I can see where that would be a natural reaction in today's excellent economic climate.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 PM
CNC
Registered

My Boats: 31 AwesomeCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
According the to CG, RULE 3J
"The words “length” and “breadth” of a vessel means her length overall and greatest breadth."

That means everything - bow pulpit to swimstep - not just hull.
Ok... My old Baja Sport 250 was called 25' on title, even though it was 27'+ w/molded in factory fiberglass swim platform. I believe the Baja 272 is similar. Did the change the rules at some time?? I have never seen the Coast Guard break out the tape measure.
Randy
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered

My Boats: 45 Sonic- 45SS, Sport Chassis Hauler

Always have carried one onboard.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2016 Nor-Tech 390 CC, 2008/2013 Donzi 43 ZR, 2005/2015 Formula 382, 1996 Donzi 22 Blackhawk

We were boarded just after the New Year’s run just inside the Sanibel Bridge. They didn't ask for that book and I am lucky because I don't have one. They did check fire extinguisher, life jackets, coast guard document number properly displayed, flare kit (only because we were coming in from the Golf), working horn, navigation lights, macerator valve locked and breaker off (I was lucky on this one because I had cut the wires and never fixed them, I keep the handle removed from the valve and this is an acceptable way to lock the valve), they also checked the automatic fire extinguisher since they saw that I have one (I don’t think that this required, but if you have one it has to be operational), they also saw that I have one of those satellite rescue beacons so they verified that I had it registered properly. I got a written warning for not keeping the throw cushion out and accessible, for my automatic fire extinguisher not showing a proper charge (needle is just above the red), and not having a proper registration sticker on the rescue beacon. No fines, just a warning. They also took a look in the cabin probably making sure that I wasn’t smuggling refugees.

Thanks for the heads up on the book, I am sure going to purchase one.