Notices

OT: Is my dog dying???

Old 06-07-2002, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WE have two MALTESE. 4 years and 3 1/2 years old. Almost lost the young one and she still isn't out of the woods. Her imune system was killing off her red blood Cells.( hemolitic animia ) She was on steroids and a chemo drug to knock down her imune system. Just starting to ween her off the steroids. This started last SEPT. Went away with the drugs and a blood transfusion. Then two months later it came back. The dog isn't in any pain - she just goes from somewhat normal energy to cant stand up inside of a weeks time. She just looks at you with those eyes. I have spent $1500 so far on a $4oo dog. Hope to god she makes it because she is my wifes dog and is just the sweetest thing to us. They both love the boat also.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:55 PM
SunseekerNY

Default Re: OT: Is my dog dying???

Originally posted by OutlawBayB
Need help!! Had my 7 1/2 yr old black lab treated for heartworms on last Thursday. Picked her up Friday, she didn't eat much except for treats on Fri & Sat. She's still lethargic, sleepy. BUT....she's drinking tons of water and NO FOOD since Sat!!!!

I've bought new treats, ground beef, table food-NOTHING!!!! Cheese, p butter.......nada! And for the last 2 days she's like asthmatic or something. Kinda like when you're trying to cough but you're lungs are too sore so you're like whispering. And she's choking up stuff, but it never comes out. Yesterday, I felt her head cuz it looked like it was shaking & it felt like her brain was shaking. I calmed her down & it went away. She was laying down w/ this too.

What are the vets NOT telling me, please. What are the symptoms when you're dog might die from this treatment or die just period???!!!!

I will take her in this afternoon, but please help a saddened heart. It would kill my kids to see her pass. HELP!!!
I did not read this entire thread except the post quoted above.

Outlaw - the telltale "sign of death" is the animal's inability to relieve himself outside without assistence. It is at that point you are advised to lay the animal down.

My sister is an nurse, and I recently laid down the family dog of 13 years. Gloria is well-schooled in these matters with both humans and animals. She can explain to you what to expect emotionally (yourself) and physcially (the animal) and how to deal with it. Her telephone number is (631) 277-0413. You will get voice mail. She will call you back if she is not there. They call it the "seven stages of death." Anger being in the top three. I forgot. She's a DeadHead. Call her. She will do more for you in five minutes..........

All my best,
Jennifer

Old 06-08-2002, 12:27 AM
Tejas Raz

Unhappy

Only got past the first few posts before I ran to check with my wife on what to do. She's a registered veterinary technician. She said heart worms and get to the vet NOW. Then I read some more. Good. You're getting her taken care of. We're both pulling for her and you and the kids. It just tears you up to see them suffer any at all.

Ditto on the tears. My eyes were going glassy big time. Two weeks ago we had to put our 14 1/2 year old Black Lab, "Jessa" to sleep. It was time for her, but that didn't make it any easier. She was our kid. We never had any. Denise was just out in the garage going through photos of her for a scrap book when I went out to check with "my doc" for a suggestion.

She went down while we were at the lake that Sunday. When we got home, she couldn't get up at all or even raise her head. We'd known it was coming. She couldn't eat hardly at all the last couple of weeks and we'd tried everything us and the vet could think of. Her bloodwork from the last checkup had just come back that her liver was starting to give out. Even our two cats, "Caleb" and "Thunder Paws" knew something wasn't right. They kept on rubbing on her legs all the time that last week. I stayed home the next day and got her to the vet knowing it would be the last day with my old, silver haired, bonehead... and that sucks. But she perked up a little that morning and I carried her out back into a beautiful sunny day and brushed her down on the grass. I know old retired Marines aren't supposed to cry, but I sure did. More than I ever have and I know Denise is still crying.

Sorry gang, but it just brought back those feelings. I love them animals. We sure miss our old girl.

You take care of that young girl there OutlawBayB! We'll be praying for that 75%.

Semper Fi to them all,
Scott

Old 06-08-2002, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta quit reading this thread,Way to hard.......Im not even gonna post the story of my buddy i just lost

Gotta go hug my springer now..........
Old 06-08-2002, 07:15 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Birddog,when I lost my best buddy several years ago I wrote a long letter about in that was published in our local Humane Society newsletter. Several people told them it made them feel better and it really made me feel better.Possibly rethink posting,it might give a warm feeling to us dog lovers here,might give you a warm feeling too. Hey, if you're like me you can type as long as you keep the tears off the keyboard. Take care,Robert
Old 06-08-2002, 11:43 PM
Registered

outlaw b b i know how you feel we lost our fammily member about a 1 yearago smokey 14 year old black lab he was our pet our huntting dog our drinking buddy loved the water did not care if it was hot or cold he was allways ready to go duck hunted found deer what ever we asked i shur miss him my best frend we have a lady lab now a bout 3 ye old im working with her but she is not smokey so it A LERNING TIME I HOPE YOUR LAB does pull thrugh this we wish you the best of luck robbie
Old 06-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I would personally forgo the poker run to take care of my dog. There will be other times to go boating.

Maybe it's just me but sometimes you just need to set your proirities straight.
Old 06-09-2002, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ahhhhhh.......Ron P,is a True dog lover

Majicfloat:...Thanks man,Maybe later........
Old 06-10-2002, 02:02 PM
OutlawBayB

Well you guys! Thank you all for your support. I got tears reading everyone's post. I did take her to the vet Friday & they put her on anti-anflammatories. The vet said she wasn't handling the passing & breaking off of the heartworms too well. And if we didn't get her better, it'd be too late. She still wan't doing any better that nite, so I let them keep overnite.

The next morning, before the run I called immediately to check on them & they had no status yet!!! I said.....Is she alive....?! Uh, yeah..she's alive. I felt relief as I could proceed with my first run. I called at the first card stop & called again. The tech's said they wanted to keep her over the weekend & said NO! I'd rather she be with family (due to Chart & Cuda's post). And yes, they do leave early & said well....the vets live w/in a 3 mile radius BUT is the DOG gonna call 911?!

I sent my father to pick her up & they gave her steriods pills to take home for the next week. She ate some food & was really happy to come home. I came home on Sunday & she even got up & greeted me at the door. My tears just started rolling as I was so happy. She did lose 4 1/2 lbs, but she's eating if you feed her by hand & sometimes she wants to play. I can only pray that she remains the same till the next heartworm treatment in 2 1/2 wks.
She'll needs 2 more trtmts, so ya'll keep your fingers crossed.

ALSO.....thank you for everyone pouring out their heart n soul in regarding to this matter. It really means a lot.

Thank you & god bless.
Carina

Last edited by OutlawBayB; 06-10-2002 at 02:05 PM.

Old 06-10-2002, 02:09 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Hang in there,hopefully she will pull thru. Your pup is lucky to belong to someone who cares,so many dogs don't. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: OT: Is my dog dying???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.