Like Tree0Likes

Go-fast for the Arctic?

Reply
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 AM
  #31
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Bobthebuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Marco Island, FL; Waterloo, ON, CAN
My Boats: 2009 Nor Tech 5000 Diesel; 2015 Statement 380 CC; 2014 32' Renegade
Posts: 5,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wananewboat View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm sensing a northern adventure for Bob.
While I have thought about it, not likely. I've come to love palm trees and aquamarine colored waters too much. LOL Too bleak in the far north and not much to do but a great place for a young guy to make a lot of money in a short time and then get out of there.
Bobthebuilder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM
  #32
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Longyearcity, Svalbard
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECeptor View Post
You should consider service on your engines and drives also. When something breaks (not if), where will you get parts to fix it, how long will that take, who will do the work, etc.

Along those lines, sticking with stock Merc power or even diesels might be a good idea. What octane gasoline do you have available? What is it's quality?

Will the boat be on a lift and/or taken out of the water after each run?

Get some sturdy drives on whatever you go with. I would think indestructable should be your goal.
I'm the only boat guy up here. Will do all servicing, rebuilding and rigging etc. myself. Parts from Yamaha(I work at a Yamaha dealership) usually takes about a week. Sometimes less if it's airfreight, and we get our shipments from Tromsų, Norway. Now, shipping parts from the US would take a while longer but it's not as bad as people seem to think. Boat will be either taken out of water after each run or on water a few days at a time. Have to talk to the "harbor-chief" first if there are some vacant spots for me to use, alternately set one up myself with his permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyrider View Post

Now the answers to question 1 or 2 would be that your most likely in for a bit of a waiting period.
Judging by the pic's it appears there's some sort of processing happening at their work camp. I'd guess mining. I'm certain they receive supplies and provisions during the fair weather months.
I never thought about the fuel situation, I'd bet diesel is readily available but premium would come at just that, a very premium price.
On that thought I think the best Cigarette boat to have there would be a diesel fired Cummins or Yanmar powerplant for longevity between services and minimum fuel consumption for distances traveled.

See ya,
Kelly
The whole island is based around coal mining. There's loads of old closed up coal mines and the majority of people going up here to work are miners. We have equipment available for almost everything you'd need, also heavy equipment for launching, lifting etc.

I have good experience with Diesels. And Yanmars, Volvo's and also CMD are well known engines to me. Even Perkins and Fords. But that's not what I'm after. Have always loved tuned up gasoline V8s, ain't nothing like it IMO. Since this Island is not Norway, only Norwegian sovereignity, tax laws in Norway don't apply here. We all pay 15% tax, no matter how much you earn up to around $200k a year, and fuel prices are half of what the mainland has. We get both 95 and 98oct but the quality is a bit less than mainland quality but not bad.

What's really cool about this place is that taxes are almost not an issue. If you want a 35ft Fountain with 2x496HO's imported to Norway first they rob you for something called "horsepower tax", then they slap VAT on top of that, just for crossing the border. Those two don't exist here and especially horsepower tax is insane on the mainland. For EVERY hp in the engine you import, you pay $34 ON TOP of the price + 24% VAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookee View Post
We build the perfect boat for you!

3/4 canopy or enclosed (we make an open version with a windscreen but you would shorten your season) - a pair of the new Yanmar 370's would put you over budget but Verado 300's would keep you in budget for a bare "race style" build and it would be new! 34' from the bow to the bottom of the transom and 7'4" beam for great sea keeping.
That looks incredibly sexy. I'd like some more info on that boat model and possible engine configs please and Verado 300's are great outboards. I haven't worked with Verado I6's for a year or two but IIRC they had some problems with the vapor units in Scandinavia. Floats went to pieces because of the fuel quality, or something like that. I do still have my contacts from the Mercury camp though so getting parts to them would not be an issue. Any seating options, like a rear bench with bolsters plus two front seats? Some cockpit, engine bay and overall shots of the hull, deck, aft would be greatly appreciated. Fibreglass hulls? Please feel free to PM!

I noted that you're from UK. Only UK built fast boat I've tried was a 25ft Revenger(not RIB) from the 80's I think, and that was a great hull. Loved that boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECeptor View Post

I'm curious what equipment will be at the mine. If you have to have a Cummins or Yanmar service guy there for the heavy equipment maybe you could piggyback on them to get your parts, etc. as needed.
I have most equipment I need available. Takes about a week or two to get special tools for drive rebuilds, engine alignments etc.

I don't work at the mines. I work at a boat/snowsled Yamaha dealership.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Again, Diesels is a no go. The whole idea is to bring something new up here. As much as I fancy Yanmars, gasoline V8 is much more "suitable" in a go-fast IMO. Ya know, engine nut and all that.

Last edited by kimosabi; 08-22-2011 at 12:58 PM.
kimosabi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 PM
  #33
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Woodlands, TX
My Boats: Team Baja's 38 Poker Run Special
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Again, Diesels is a no go. The whole idea is to bring something new up here. As much as I fancy Yanmars, gasoline V8 is much more "suitable" in a go-fast IMO. Ya know, engine nut and all that.
It sounds like a great place to live compared to most of Europe.
The few times I've been over on motorcycle touring trips the biggest complaint I've heard from the locals is the high taxation.
I'm shocked at the availability of high octane fuel. The best we get in SE Texas from a gas station pump is 93 diluted with 10% ethanol, it's JUNK FUEL indeed.
After looking at Bob's thread I researched your island, there's a lot more happening than I'd of ever guessed.
If you move forward on inviting tourists post here on the forum, I'm certain I wouldn't be the only one interested in going.
If Cookee builds you a boat I'll bet you'll have a waiting list, his race boats are WICKED COOL AND FAST even his diesel race boats too.

Congrats on your relocation, this sounds like an awesome place to live if you know how to deal with the winter.
I'm curious, how many hours of daylight do you enjoy in the summer and how few in the winter. I'd guess your probably much deeper north than my buddy in Anchorage.

See ya,
Kelly
huskyrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 PM
  #34
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arlington Tx
Posts: 9,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
@Phantom: Eaten by polar bears. They eat everything those bastards lol.

Yeah, I can get an enclosed RIB anytime but they don't handle like a 40ft Go-fast. What I'm after is a Go-fast experience in the high Arctic, maybe next year I can offer that experience to tourists as well. There have never been a boat like that up here I think, and I also think it's about time we get one. See pics for what weather conditions we have on sweet summer days. In fact, last week we had +16C up here, so it's not all glaciers, snowstorms and drift ice 24/7.
Here take a look at these ones;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...b166_0-en.html

I would suggest the 47' Medicine Man. That boat will run very well in anything up to 10' seas.
Catmando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 AM
  #35
British member!
VIP Member
 
cookee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Salcombe, Devon, UK
My Boats: BananaShark 2001 24'
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post

That looks incredibly sexy. I'd like some more info on that boat model and possible engine configs please and Verado 300's are great outboards. I haven't worked with Verado I6's for a year or two but IIRC they had some problems with the vapor units in Scandinavia. Floats went to pieces because of the fuel quality, or something like that. I do still have my contacts from the Mercury camp though so getting parts to them would not be an issue. Any seating options, like a rear bench with bolsters plus two front seats? Some cockpit, engine bay and overall shots of the hull, deck, aft would be greatly appreciated. Fibreglass hulls? Please feel free to PM!

I noted that you're from UK. Only UK built fast boat I've tried was a 25ft Revenger(not RIB) from the 80's I think, and that was a great hull. Loved that boat.
As we build race boats you can be assured of the build quality for more challenging conditions!

If you have Facebook you can see the entire build sequence from building the plug, mould and boat - do a search for BananaShark - it's a product/service page.

For outboards we would use the engine bay area for seating, and as each boat is made to order we can fit the seating in any arrangement you like. We would give you detailed photos and drawings of the available space so that you can work out what suits you, or you could just tell us what seating you would like and we'll see if it fits!

The boats are all GRP with Polyester resins - we use some Kevlar/Epoxy strengthening where necessary but no exotics used for the sake of it!

Send me your email by PM and I'll send you some photos if you like - meanwhile here are some links:

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...ites%20Launch/

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...k%2034%20Race/
__________________
Cookee

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
cookee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 PM
  #36
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 263
Default

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/category/type/Cary
You might want to look at Cary boats also. Probably bigger then you wanted but cool boats and big power.
1987pachanga22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
  #37
British member!
VIP Member
 
cookee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Salcombe, Devon, UK
My Boats: BananaShark 2001 24'
Posts: 895
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wnJgGbVvKU
__________________
Cookee

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
cookee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:55 PM
  #38
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Longyearcity, Svalbard
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyrider View Post
It sounds like a great place to live compared to most of Europe.
The few times I've been over on motorcycle touring trips the biggest complaint I've heard from the locals is the high taxation.
I'm shocked at the availability of high octane fuel. The best we get in SE Texas from a gas station pump is 93 diluted with 10% ethanol, it's JUNK FUEL indeed.
After looking at Bob's thread I researched your island, there's a lot more happening than I'd of ever guessed.
If you move forward on inviting tourists post here on the forum, I'm certain I wouldn't be the only one interested in going.
If Cookee builds you a boat I'll bet you'll have a waiting list, his race boats are WICKED COOL AND FAST even his diesel race boats too.

Congrats on your relocation, this sounds like an awesome place to live if you know how to deal with the winter.
I'm curious, how many hours of daylight do you enjoy in the summer and how few in the winter. I'd guess your probably much deeper north than my buddy in Anchorage.

See ya,
Kelly
About the fuel here, it's not bad, we get the octane allright but the quality is a bit less than the mainland. It's Statoil fuel so chances are they mix more Ethanol in it than most does on the mainland. I've had to setup a few Yam F150's slightly differently to cope with the fuel already. Never had that issue on the mainland.

Yup, the plan is to bring a new experience to Svalbard and hopefully when I get set up and the word spreads, tourists(and also locals) will catch on to it. We can take them to the most popular sites while also give them a touch of adrenaline rush and sense of speed in the process. People coming here are usually quite sporty so I believe it is something to atleast consider. I will ask for a meeting with some of the local authorities next week or so.

I looked up Anchorage Canada and yes I'm a bit further north. We have bright midnight sun(daylight) from late april to late august. That's 24/7 of daylight. Early Nov to late March it's pitch black.

Thanks, I like it here and already have set my eyes on my first snowsled(without snowsled up here you're sunk) and really looking forward to upcoming seasons. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
Here take a look at these ones;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...b166_0-en.html

I would suggest the 47' Medicine Man. That boat will run very well in anything up to 10' seas.
Thanks! I was looking at that one earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987pachanga22 View Post
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/category/type/Cary
You might want to look at Cary boats also. Probably bigger then you wanted but cool boats and big power.
Those look very nice but now that the game might have changed a bit, quad powered "homes" might be a bit oversized for what I had in mind. The waters are pretty calm during most of the summer season so I might have been a bit "overkill" about size when I considered 50 footers. Still haven't ruled anything out though, so thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookee View Post
As we build race boats you can be assured of the build quality for more challenging conditions!

If you have Facebook you can see the entire build sequence from building the plug, mould and boat - do a search for BananaShark - it's a product/service page.

For outboards we would use the engine bay area for seating, and as each boat is made to order we can fit the seating in any arrangement you like. We would give you detailed photos and drawings of the available space so that you can work out what suits you, or you could just tell us what seating you would like and we'll see if it fits!

The boats are all GRP with Polyester resins - we use some Kevlar/Epoxy strengthening where necessary but no exotics used for the sake of it!

Send me your email by PM and I'll send you some photos if you like - meanwhile here are some links:
Cheers! Yes, I took a peek at your build process and it looks very meticulate so I have no doubt you guys know your business. I like your design and from the YT vid, it looks like you have a good handling, tracking and quite stable hull there. Boat looks good too. PM sent.

Kimo
kimosabi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 AM
  #39
British member!
VIP Member
 
cookee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Salcombe, Devon, UK
My Boats: BananaShark 2001 24'
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
PM sent.

Kimo
Sent you some photos!
__________________
Cookee

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
cookee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.