Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nordic Heat 28 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/260839-nordic-heat-28-a.html)

Jay Gadsby 08-22-2011 05:27 PM

Nordic Heat 28

Hey guys and possibly gals. I recently got the "ok" from the wife to upgrade to a newer and bigger boat. I am currently running the waters in a 22 Pachanga. Love the boat, it is fun for what it is, just looking for more speed and more comfort. I jumped into the Pachanga too quick and ended up with a cracked block (5.7L/Alpha combo). I rebuilt the engine using a true 4 bolt main chevy block, vortec heads, edelbrock/holley combo. Runs great now, but it is still a SBC with an Alpha one. I dont see myself putting more money into a boat that will only yield minimal results anyhow. I have seen people do 80-85gps in the Pachanga, only to buy a bigger boat because it was too rough and too erratic at higher speeds. I have found a few 28' Nordic Heats for sale (2000 model years) for around my price range, and really do like the looks. I have yet to see one in person as they are... scarce around here. I am in Killeen Texas (Fort Hood). How is the build quality? Hull Efficiency? Reliability? The ones I am looling at are the 500EFI setups. I am not worried about fuel. It only holds 20 more gallons than the Pachanga anyhow, so thats not an issue. I want something fast, yet comfortable. I know they have the optional sinks and all that in the cabin, I know I cant afford something with a full cabin that will run 75+mph. A good size cuddy will suffice for sure over what I am in now. Lots of questions I know. Thank you all so much for your time and any information, pointers, or advice on this subject.

Oh, and I am currently driving a 2009 Nissan Titan. I have no issues towing the Pachanga, nor issues with a 20' car trailer loaded with car. Weight I read on the NOrdic is about 4900lbs, assuming the trailer is no more than 1500, it should not be a problem. Are these figures accurate at all?? Thanks again!

JD Dearden 08-22-2011 05:46 PM

You can't go wrong with a Nordic Heat.

A.O. Razor 08-22-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3485741)
Hey guys and possibly gals. I recently got the "ok" from the wife to upgrade to a newer and bigger boat. I am currently running the waters in a 22 Pachanga. Love the boat, it is fun for what it is, just looking for more speed and more comfort. I jumped into the Pachanga too quick and ended up with a cracked block (5.7L/Alpha combo). I rebuilt the engine using a true 4 bolt main chevy block, vortec heads, edelbrock/holley combo. Runs great now, but it is still a SBC with an Alpha one. I dont see myself putting more money into a boat that will only yield minimal results anyhow. I have seen people do 80-85gps in the Pachanga, only to buy a bigger boat because it was too rough and too erratic at higher speeds. I have found a few 28' Nordic Heats for sale (2000 model years) for around my price range, and really do like the looks. I have yet to see one in person as they are... scarce around here. I am in Killeen Texas (Fort Hood). How is the build quality? Hull Efficiency? Reliability? The ones I am looling at are the 500EFI setups. I am not worried about fuel. It only holds 20 more gallons than the Pachanga anyhow, so thats not an issue. I want something fast, yet comfortable. I know they have the optional sinks and all that in the cabin, I know I cant afford something with a full cabin that will run 75+mph. A good size cuddy will suffice for sure over what I am in now. Lots of questions I know. Thank you all so much for your time and any information, pointers, or advice on this subject.

Oh, and I am currently driving a 2009 Nissan Titan. I have no issues towing the Pachanga, nor issues with a 20' car trailer loaded with car. Weight I read on the NOrdic is about 4900lbs, assuming the trailer is no more than 1500, it should not be a problem. Are these figures accurate at all?? Thanks again!

The few I've seen, looks really nice. In terms of weight, well, It's lowest dry weight. I would at least add 1000 lbs, for fuel, batteries, bigger engine (possibly), and random items. 1500-1600 lbs for the trailer is about right, depending on setup and steel or alu. Some trailers that can carry heavier boats like 8000-10000 lbs boats are more like 1700-2000 lbs, so have that in mind. I would say that you should be able to tow atleast 7500 lbs, for safe and comfortable not to mention leagal towing in all conditions.

Happy hunting.

39 Unlimited 08-22-2011 06:39 PM

The 28 Nordic is a great boat, possibly the best value in performance boating.

Jay Gadsby 08-22-2011 06:47 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I talked to JD for a while and got a few questions answered up. Thanks again! I am going back to Iraq in a couple weeks, and hopefully when I return home I will have a Nordic Heat waiting on me.

rexcramer1 08-22-2011 08:19 PM

Stay safe over there and thank you for what you do

Nate5.0 08-22-2011 08:33 PM

How are these in the rough?

before this thread I never looked at tem as I thought they were way past my price point. However after browsing because of this thread I found quite a few 25'ers in my range, granted they are not the 28' heat but they were nice mid cabins that were in 2000's year wise.

However I will be boating only in the Gulf and while 9/10 times it's nice we do get rough days, how are these out in conditions like that?

I have been shopping Velocity and some Fevers as well but these Nodics look/perform great too.

Jay Gadsby 08-22-2011 08:41 PM

After talking to JD, he said his handles well in the rough but he is in Salt Lake area... Gulf may be a bit different. What is rough in the Gulf like? I plan on taking some trips to Corpus Christi when I get back.

Indy 08-22-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 3485882)
How are these in the rough?

before this thread I never looked at tem as I thought they were way past my price point. However after browsing because of this thread I found quite a few 25'ers in my range, granted they are not the 28' heat but they were nice mid cabins that were in 2000's year wise.

However I will be boating only in the Gulf and while 9/10 times it's nice we do get rough days, how are these out in conditions like that?

I have been shopping Velocity and some Fevers as well but these Nodics look/perform great too.

Not a rough water boat. I know...had one for three years in Long Island Sound...plenty of chop to be had. Compared to something like a Pantera/AT/any other true 24 degree hull for example the ride is tough.

Build quality is high...tooling is top notch...best cabin by far of any 28 I've ever been in, even some bigger boats too...Nordic never figured out their drive heights properly, people are always screwing with drive spacers...speed is decent but not over the top, mid 60s with 496HO power (at least in my 2002), however there's a person here (Long Island) that swears 80s with 525 power if I recall properly, which is a huge delta between what I experienced with my HO.

Their trailers are complete garbage if they get exposed to salt water (I know first hand), opt for aluminum if that's the case. I still think they have carpet in the engine compartment which is puzzling, I ripped mine out and put in diamond plate. Looks are stunning, never a lack of compliments when I was in or working on the boat. Bolsters lack headrests which makes them look like barrels, I had Nordic custom make some for mine and it changed the whole look of the interior. Still some outdated gel designs but that's in the eye of the beholder. Handled well, just didn't like chop with the 22 degree hull and pad. Needs wind deflectors too, windscreen is at the perfect height to deflect wind right into your face...kind of a pain in the a$$ if you take it for some long rides. A 150 mile trip one day convinced us to get deflectors...had enough of that crap.

I'm sure some things have changed since I owned one, maybe some others will chime in. Overall we loved the boat but it just wasn't made for our waters, we wound up purchasing a PowerPlay and it was a whole different animal...it pretty much lived for chop. In fact it was a total bore unless it was crappy out...but that's another topic.

Hope this helps.

Nate5.0 08-22-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3485895)
After talking to JD, he said his handles well in the rough but he is in Salt Lake area... Gulf may be a bit different. What is rough in the Gulf like? I plan on taking some trips to Corpus Christi when I get back.

3'/5' is common here and 2'/3' is more the norm for an average day.

We have the intercoastal but that is a bore to ride along all day.

raytart 08-22-2011 09:48 PM

deleted (somehow duplicate post???)

AIR TIME 08-22-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 3485973)

go to the Nordic section and ask the guys about the ride for rough water, you have Indys advice from up north. maybe theres guys using on the gulf to. AT28 and Saber28,Sutphen 26,30,31 have nice cabins and are rough water boats good luck. Art

raytart 08-22-2011 09:51 PM

Ditto on Indy's Post.
I'm the Swear it goes 80 guy, and it did with the 1.36 gears. I've since changed it back to the 1.50 for better overall performance. It now runs 76-78 with a 28b1. Great boat, holding up well after 6 1/2 seasons. minor issues electrically, some corrosion on some of the connections off the battery for the tabs, but you will have that with any boat in salt water. Not the best "rough water boat" out there but it holds it's own. I usually run on the south shore of Long Island and stay mostly inland. When it gets too snotty I just slow down and drop the tabs and trim and all is fine. Great cabin for a 28. It has a sink, cooler, two facing benches and a V-Birth. Overall, I'm happy with mine. But I'm getting that Itch for a new / bigger / faster boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSDlHO93DTM

Indy 08-23-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 3485973)

You can forget the 3/5 in the Nordic. Not sure what the Gulf is like but in Long Island Sound the chop is short, steep, and hard hitting when it gets snotty. 5's in the Nordic isn't pretty, I've been there and turned right around. Maybe 5' rollers are different, I wouldn't know though since I never boat in the ocean. Just trying to provide some perspective.

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 3486168)
You can forget the 3/5 in the Nordic. Not sure what the Gulf is like but in Long Island Sound the chop is short, steep, and hard hitting when it gets snotty. 5's in the Nordic isn't pretty, I've been there and turned right around. Maybe 5' rollers are different, I wouldn't know though since I never boat in the ocean. Just trying to provide some perspective.

When its snotty here it is just like you describe...hard hitting nasty chop. No rollers.

Thanks for all the advise guys. The fountain guy with a 29' fever just sent me pics this A.M that i have been waiting on and it is very temping.

Dave M 08-23-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 (Post 3486177)
When its snotty here it is just like you describe...hard hitting nasty chop. No rollers.

Thanks for all the advise guys. The fountain guy with a 29' fever just sent me pics this A.M that i have been waiting on and it is very temping.

Make sure the boats you are comparing are rigged equally. Fountains usually come rigged with the good stuff like k-planes and full steering. Other brands do not. Those items are expensive to add later.

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 3486202)
Make sure the boats you are comparing are rigged equally. Fountains usually come rigged with the good stuff like k-planes and full steering. Other brands do not. Those items are expensive to add later.

ya i have been watching that. This fountain has everything loaded up on it. More or less i need a mech to check it over as the owner said it has been a year or two since last use and that is my worry.

I had to back off a Velocity for the very reason you posted. Great boat with low hrs but it had nothing and once i would have added on what it needed i would have over shot my budget big time.

If this fountain can get a clean bill of health and just needs some fresh fluid and a nice go over it sounds like a winner. We will see though.

That said is there a site or place to locate good/honest techs to go over a boat for someone? I am in FL and most boats i am.looking at are up north.

Jay Gadsby 08-23-2011 09:23 AM

Thanks Nate for chiming in on the handling. Answered some questions for me too.

Raytart- Which driveline are you running? The engine of choice thus far for me is the 500EFI, talked with JD with the 8.1HO and he was saying about 72-73mph with that setup.

Mastercraft240 08-23-2011 09:25 AM

What's your budget? 25?

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 3486343)
What's your budget? 25?

That's what i want to be around...i can go 30 but i would like some incase **** is needed money too cause you never know what you might get going used.

I want something 25'+, EFI, and single engine. Gf wants a small cabin as well for storms as she is affraid of lightning lol.

I am talking to someone with a 28' Velocity on here in the classifieds that i am VERY interested in as well and has trims, hydralic steering, and a freah rebuild with build sheet.

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3486340)

Raytart- Which driveline are you running? The engine of choice thus far for me is the 500EFI, talked with JD with the 8.1HO and he was saying about 72-73mph with that setup.

No prob and sorry i dont mean to steal your thread lol. Just a great looking boat that i knew little about and doing some shopping like yourself.

Jay Gadsby 08-23-2011 09:43 AM

You didnt steal it, you added to bud, thanks a lot for posing more questions. Happy Shopping!

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3486365)
You didnt steal it, you added to bud, thanks a lot for posing more questions. Happy Shopping!

Thank bud!

You as well....shopping is hell but worth the reward.

Jay Gadsby 08-23-2011 10:00 AM

I hear ya... I have my eye on one right now, but I dont even have the Pachanga up for sale yet.... lol

Nate5.0 08-23-2011 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3486382)
I hear ya... I have my eye on one right now, but I dont even have the Pachanga up for sale yet.... lol

Lol....ya i swore to myself i wouls wait till winter but l here i am looking to make a move now lol.

JD Dearden 08-23-2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3486340)

72 is stretching it....

Jay Gadsby 08-23-2011 10:25 AM

Ooops, must have heard you wrong... Sorry for the misquote.

JD Dearden 08-23-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3486415)

No problem, I honestly havent spent anytime in my boat at sea level so I actually havent seen a number in my Heat. I have heard around 70....On the speedo my heat runs 60mph at 5595 feet, and 65 at 4551 feet for what its worth...

Mastercraft240 08-23-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3486415)

Be careful with rebuilds. Make sure the rebuild was done by a reputable shop.

cabin fever 08-23-2011 02:03 PM

when I was shopping I REALLY wanted a heat, but just couldn't find any in my price range.

I ended up with a 280 velocity, and absolutley love it. I was leary since I didn't have tabs, but honestly have never really needed em.

Captain YARRR 08-23-2011 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby (Post 3485741)

Where are you planning on running? I live in Austin and I think the only lake around that could be trouble is Lake Travis. The people I know with Nordics feel it handles Lake Travis like a champ.

Secondly, I'm in the market for a Heat too and there's not too many around here unfortunately.

JD Dearden 08-23-2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR (Post 3486623)
Where are you planning on running? I live in Austin and I think the only lake around that could be trouble is Lake Travis. The people I know with Nordics feel it handles Lake Travis like a champ.

Secondly, I'm in the market for a Heat too and there's not too many around here unfortunately.

I will meet you in Havasu....:drink:

will22 08-23-2011 02:48 PM

29 Fountain - 28 Heat....night and day different boats! that 28 heat will dwarf that 29 fountain but power for power - the Nordic gets destroyed. Nashville TN has a bunch of 28 Heats and several of them are knocking on the triple digit doorstep with a couple already there so yes - you can make one fast if you want. here is a local one that is for sale currently...and i have another friend with a 99 with a 502 that the listing has expired but its still for sale too...similar $$

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...-Heat-99313256

raytart 08-23-2011 08:56 PM

Raytart- Which driveline are you running?

525 efi
xr drive with Its setback
Full Hydralic Steering.
Dana HP 900 tabs
Livorsi Controls
Bravo B1 28 pitch

Dave M 08-24-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by will22 (Post 3486662)
and i have another friend with a 99 with a 502 that the listing has expired but its still for sale too...similar $$

Nice boat. Tell your friend to do himself a favor and post more pics of the boat in his listing. 1 pic,?????

SunsationLarry 08-24-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 3487245)
Nice boat. Tell your friend to do himself a favor and post more pics on the boat in his listing. 1 pic,?????

The one pic looks great but more is always better....Why a triple axle trailer under a 28'?

Indy 08-24-2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by SunsationLarry (Post 3487248)
The one pic looks great but more is always better....Why a triple axle trailer under a 28'?

That's they way they come from the factory...stock trailer for the 28.

Steve Zuckerman 08-24-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by will22 (Post 3486662)
29 Fountain - 28 Heat....night and day different boats! that 28 heat will dwarf that 29 fountain but power for power - the Nordic gets destroyed. Nashville TN has a bunch of 28 Heats and several of them are knocking on the triple digit doorstep with a couple already there so yes - you can make one fast if you want. here is a local one that is for sale currently...and i have another friend with a 99 with a 502 that the listing has expired but its still for sale too...similar $$

OK Eugene, I WAS going to let this slide, but now I gotta chime in. R H's 29' with "stock" 575 (AZSM Kit only) 85/87. My
28' with same stock motor and AZSM kit 85/86. Ride, much smoother. Cabin, much larger. Looks, up to the individual. I'll take the aerodynamic, convex lines of the Nordic.
Modified to modified. G T's 29' with 825HP (525 with 3.3 Whipple kit) 87/92. My boat with (probably less/never dynoed) 775/800HP 88/95. All confirmed by the deliar, GPS.
Both are great boats, but I'll go with Nordic.
BTW concerning ride, the step hull (Heat/2000+) boats do ride smoother than the earlier pad vees. If you are a fresh water boater, you'll be fine with either one.
Regards,
Steve

bobl 08-24-2011 09:50 AM

Hey Jay,
Nice to meet you yesterday. Looks like we will be going to test a 900HP 28 Heat Friday on Lake LBJ. If you can get free, you'd be welcome to ride along.

Bob Lloyd

will22 08-24-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dave M (Post 3487245)
Nice boat. Tell your friend to do himself a favor and post more pics of the boat in his listing. 1 pic,?????

I understand what you are saying, however, the price for adding more pics gets very steep on boattrader - as in $100for only 3 pics vs $50 for 1...i listed my boat there too and opted to just put 1 pic as well...i figured if they were serious about the boat they would contact me and i could flood them with as many pics of the boat as they wanted to see. im sure if anyone here is interested in more pics it would be as simple as responding to the ad for as many as you would like.

Steve i stand corrected..lol...although i thought i was siding with the Nordic over a 29Fountain as it was - the size difference is more than enough to make up my mind.