Like Tree0Likes

Hurricane / Boat question

Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chesapeake Bay
My Boats: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Posts: 144
Default Hurricane / Boat question

Stupid quick question. I have my boat at the house, we are expecting hurricane strength winds of 30-100 mph. Would you advise me to remove my cockpit cover in this storm, or leave it on.

Just wanted to get advice from those that have gone through this before.

Thanks in advance.
Apathetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:35 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Expensive Date's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Creek NJ
My Boats: 05 35 Fountain EX
Posts: 4,220
Default

I am going to tape mine with shrink wrap tape.Not sure thats correct, ask me on Monday
Expensive Date is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 PM
  #3
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member
Trade Score: (2)
 
Fenderjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North Point Creek, Md.
Posts: 4,330
Default

If the cover fits TIGHT I would leave it on, maybe secure it a little better with some straps, or even duct tape. I am keep the cover on the 32, but it is tight as a virgin ________. Where at on the bay are ya??

John jr
Fenderjack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:18 AM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
northernoffshore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ft. myers, fl.
My Boats: 33 powerplay 20 mako , 30 spectre ,22 velocity,
Posts: 2,387
Default

go get a oversized silver plastic tarp and wrap it around the whole boat tight . worth the 100 bucks.
northernoffshore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:27 AM
  #5
Registered
 
mpally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: St. Louis/ LOTO
My Boats: 36 Outlaw
Posts: 1,371
Default

Can you move the boat further away where the winds won't be so intense?
mpally is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 AM
  #6
naplesimage.com
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
jayboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SWFloridaH2O
My Boats: Every One In Sight
Posts: 18,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernoffshore View Post
go get a oversized silver plastic tarp and wrap it around the whole boat tight . worth the 100 bucks.
Good advice.

You could easily lose the entire thing. I would take it off if it looks like more than 50 or 60 mph winds are gonna hit you. If it comes partially loose, then it will flap around and the odds are good that the snaps will scratch up your paint, plus the cover will probably be shredded and you'll need a new one.

If you use a tarp make sure to tape all the edges down tight.
Good luck.
__________________
Roostertail does not lie.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
jayboat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:01 AM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chesapeake Bay
My Boats: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Posts: 144
Default

Thanks for the information everyone. I wish I could move the boat further in, but my house will have to do. I'm going with taking the cover off, I don't mind cleaning her up, but would hate to have the cover rip/shred/fly away or scratch up the boat (been working hard to improve her).

I'm just a little off of Urbanna, on the Rappahannock and the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia. We weren't looking too bad on NOAA until the morning of 8/25 where the track was moved a little more to the west. Last I heard, around 23:00 was no less than 30 mph and up to 100 mph. This is a rural area and many have panicked (not that it's wrong to be prudent) and most things, including tarps have sold out. I already had a hurricane kit and generator thanks to my bad experience with Isabel in 2003. But, I didn't have a boat that year and wasn't sure how best to handle it.

I thank you all so much, I truly hope that all of you stay safe (and your toys, too) who are going to be affected by Irene.
Apathetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 AM
  #8
Member #154
Platinum Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SW CT & Long Island Sound
My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay
Posts: 6,756
Default

I like the tarp idea...I don't know much about your area but I know I wouldn't want hurricane debris flying into my boat unprotected.

At the very least I'd crank you straps tight then go back and check it after it gets wet, canvas seems to get a bit looser as it gets wet, you might have to re-crank the straps.

The other thing you can do if possible is to move it to the down wind side of the house for a little wind break.
Indy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
  #9
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
PARADOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
My Boats: Formula 272 Sold, 26 Infinity, 4 sale, 08-33' Avanti 4SALE
Posts: 2,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernoffshore View Post
go get a oversized silver plastic tarp and wrap it around the whole boat tight . worth the 100 bucks.
Listen to us florida boys. Tarp it and use long ropes over the tarp/boat as well. Knda like a net. Good luck.
PARADOX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM
  #10
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chesapeake Bay
My Boats: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Posts: 144
Default

Woke up to slightly better news that the storm is tracking a little more to the east (hope it goes way east, lol). NOAA/NWS has changed my forecast to better than it was:

NWS Wakefield, VA
Detailed text forecast
Hazardous weather condition(s):

Hurricane Warning
Flood Watch
Hazardous Weather Outlook

Today: Isolated showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 88. South wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tonight: A chance of rain and thunderstorms, then rain likely and possibly a thunderstorm after midnight. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a low around 75. Breezy, with a east wind 9 to 12 mph increasing to between 17 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Saturday: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 79. East wind 30 to 40 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 74. North wind 45 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts in excess of 4 inches possible.

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions possible. Scattered showers before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

I will be following everyone's advice as much as what I can purchase locally will allow.

Thank you all again!
Apathetic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.