Notices

Simple Oil Question.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only put full synthetic oil in everything after break in. Its all nascar, NHRA, & commercial aircraft use in their engines. Commercial aircraft run the oil with no changes on the turbine engines. Just topoff daily from normal consumption. Tells me alot about how good it is lubing and withstanding the high temps
Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I've heard enough to get the Rotella out of there. I'm not going to change the filter until I winterize though. I guess one qt. of Rotella mixed with better oil won't hurt for awhile. As far as other oils, I have my favorites but that topic has been beaten to death so that's all I'll say! No more Rotella though. Idiot at the store should have known it was a truck oil but seemed to think that it was for performance gas engines.
I wouldn't do anything to drastic because of a few people opinions. You need to have real data. And have you had a problem yet?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The boat only had one hard run with this oil but the Rotella is now out of there! The nays have outnumbered the yeas! Thanks everybody.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered

Can I ask one more question plz? Is there any reason to not run a high zinc oil in a roller engine? Without going over everyone's oil preferences, I bought Kendall 20w50 to finish the season with. It says it has zinc added. I haven't put it in yet but the Rotella is out.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Thirdchildhood

Just one remark I want to make to you about Rotella and the opinions regarding roller anything. Diesels like Cummins, Cat, MTU, JD, Volvo etc, etc all run roller everything, cams, rollers on the rocker arms, injector plunger rollers, etc, etc.

I can't tell you whether or not it is good for your gas engine but as far as being good for rollers it is a great non synthetic oil. The one person with foaming issues, it might be because it is a high detergent oil made for slower turning engines, the extra rpms might whip it into a froth, which then would be bad?

We at one time ran many trucks, into the thousands of units we used the Pennzoil synthetic toward the later years, the only advantage we ever saw was we could double the mileage between oil changes.

As far as wear went 15k on Shell Rotella, 25k-35k on Pennzoil sometimes longer but both showed the same amount of wear for the overall miles. The synthetic saved us labor plus a set of filters so our costs were down a little even though the oil cost more.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

The high zinc Kendall 20w50 is in there. Gonna have a good long hard run Monday. Can't wait!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't see Valvoline Racing 40W mentioned? Engine builder told me not to use anything else.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Didn't see Valvoline Racing 40W mentioned? Engine builder told me not to use anything else.
That is what I will look for at next oil change time which is a couple months away. I like the idea of running a straight 40 weight oil.