Whipple FOAC Cooler, game changer >

Whipple FOAC Cooler, game changer

Notices

Whipple FOAC Cooler, game changer

Old 09-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Now that is a great technical question! I would think the pressure would drop dramatically as it has a larger surface area to push a huge volume of mass through. Then again we don't know what the boost/pressure capacity is either.

A lot of engineering thats for sure!

I like the question very poignant... good stuff to know.

KAP
Pressure drop is an almost impossible question to answer. Each application, each SC (turbo, screw, roots, centrifugal) will differ. With the massive amount of surface area, there is really very little pressure drop.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:39 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Now that is a great technical question! I would think the pressure would drop dramatically as it has a larger surface area to push a huge volume of mass through. Then again we don't know what the boost/pressure capacity is either.

A lot of engineering thats for sure!

I like the question very poignant... good stuff to know.

KAP
If one were to compare 2 cores of equal cooling capacity, a core that is wider and longer with a lower profile will have a lower pressure drop than the core with a smaller cross sectional area that is taller. There are obviously other things that come into play such as the number of fins per inch, fin thickness, fin profile, # of tubes, and size of tubes.

This issue is especially important on a non-positive displacment induction package where you are actually loosing cfm going into the motor whereas with a positive displacment SC, the blower essentially pumps the same amount of air per revolution (in theory).

Last edited by Coolerman; 09-08-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
If one were to compare 2 cores of equal cooling capacity, a core that is wider and longer with a lower profile will have a lower pressure drop than the core with a smaller cross sectional area that is taller. There are obviously other things that come into play such as the number of fins per inch, fin thickness, fin profile, # of tubes, and size of tubes.

This issue is especially important on a non-positive displacment induction package where you are actually loosing cfm going into the motor whereas with a positive displacment SC, the blower essentially pumps the same amount of air per revolution (in theory).
That's exactly why Tom Robinson's R-Tech Supercooler, designed specifically for centrifugal superchargers, was so effective. Very low restriction, minimal loss of boost.

Kurt
Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
That's exactly why Tom Robinson's R-Tech Supercooler, designed specifically for centrifugal superchargers, was so effective. Very low restriction, minimal loss of boost.

Kurt
Exactly, his unit came to my mind as well when thinking about the pressure drop in relation to the cooling capacity and restrictiveness of the core. Tom makes a nice unit.

Last edited by Coolerman; 09-08-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Looks nice! Where'd you get the idea for a split case? Whoever came up with that idea was really thinking outside of the "box"....
Looks like a copycat cooler to me.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EXCESS ENERGY
Looks like a copycat cooler to me.
LOL, thats pretty funny! Is that copying by making bigger core, rugged bar/plate design, offering aluminum and cupronickel, oversized water fittings???
Old 09-09-2011, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
LOL, thats pretty funny! Is that copying by making bigger core, rugged bar/plate design, offering aluminum and cupronickel, oversized water fittings???
Split housing. And why would you offer aluminum cores, they don't last.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen Jason's coolers and they look like a work of art , also congrats on his results at LOTO

Last edited by notda1; 09-09-2011 at 06:41 AM.