Commentary: What Would (Tom) Newby Do? >

Commentary: What Would (Tom) Newby Do?

Notices

Commentary: What Would (Tom) Newby Do?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,251 Posts
Default Commentary: What Would (Tom) Newby Do?

Sorry for such a late post, driving all day to Southern California. Fortunately I could put my son behind the wheel so I could write, http://speedonthewater.com/commentar...-newby-do.html
Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome......thanks Matt!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Good stuff Matt. I had the pleasure of meeting Tom multiple times. His smile, humor and wit left a lasting impression.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the two days that I (and Tim Sharkey) spent with him in 2003, I would say that Tom would take whatever was happening and turn it into a party.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Based on the two days that I (and Tim Sharkey) spent with him in 2003, I would say that Tom would take whatever was happening and turn it into a party.
Tom was big fun on the road ... but that's for next year's tribute.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I can't believe it has been four years!
I never met Tom Newby but boy I loved his photography. He was the best!

Thanks, Matt.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2003 on the A/C Poker Run and still can't believe he is not with us. He was a great guy with a true love of the sport and an amazing ability.
I think he would like the story of how I got my boat.

Four years ago, I had just sold my Kryptonite and I was looking for the perfect boat. I really wanted a 38 ZrComp. I was driving in my truck when I get a call from my friend Bob. He says, "Hey Tom, I am out at Tom Newby's funeral and I am talking with Lee Kimmell (then president of Donzi). Remember the in house Zrc we have been pushing Donzi to sell us? Well, I got him to agree to your offer but it is a one time shot right now. Do you want it?"
After spending months researching, looking at other boats and figuring finances, here I was faced with an OMG this is really happening! Then it hit me, I just agreed to buy the second most expensive thing in my life, sight unseen in a two minute phone call while driving down the Parkway!

Thank you Tom for all your wonderful work and for magically bringing all the pieces of the puzzle together to make my dream of owning a true offshore boat a reality.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 342 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I had the pleasure of meeting him in 2003 on the A/C Poker Run and still can't believe he is not with us. He was a great guy with a true love of the sport and an amazing ability.
I think he would like the story of how I got my boat.

Four years ago, I had just sold my Kryptonite and I was looking for the perfect boat. I really wanted a 38 ZrComp. I was driving in my truck when I get a call from my friend Bob. He says, "Hey Tom, I am out at Tom Newby's funeral and I am talking with Lee Kimmell (then president of Donzi). Remember the in house Zrc we have been pushing Donzi to sell us? Well, I got him to agree to your offer but it is a one time shot right now. Do you want it?"
After spending months researching, looking at other boats and figuring finances, here I was faced with an OMG this is really happening! Then it hit me, I just agreed to buy the second most expensive thing in my life, sight unseen in a two minute phone call while driving down the Parkway!

Thank you Tom for all your wonderful work and for magically bringing all the pieces of the puzzle together to make my dream of owning a true offshore boat a reality.
Cool story.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

He was quite the cool character for sure. The last time I saw Tom was at the Clevelander during the Miami Boat Show. Old School and I had some meaningful dialog with Tom at the bar that night. What a good dude and what a shame...

Kurt
Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

I was speaking with Joe Schaldenbrand on the docks at Shooter's 21 on Saturday of the Shootout in August 2007. We had tied up the first F-4 near the factory's F-4 and someone had asked Joe if he could get up on the bow of the factory F-4 to snap some pics. I asked Joe if that was Tom Newby and he said, "yes". A bit later, Tom was back on the docks and I shook his hand and told him I looked forward to seeing his work every month in Powerboat. He was very approachable and cordial. A couple of weeks later he was gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.