First Time Post / First Time Boat Owner >

First Time Post / First Time Boat Owner

Notices

First Time Post / First Time Boat Owner

Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Post / First Time Boat Owner

Like the title says this is my first post on OSO and I'm also in the process of purchasing my first boat. Figured I'd say hi to everyone and introduce myself. Stumbled across OSO over a month ago and ever since I've been lurking on here. Everyone seems to be pretty cool, level headed and friendly on here. This site can get addicting as sometimes I spend hours on end reading all the info on here trying to learn as much as I can. I've been looking at boats off and on for the last couple years, but I'm now at the pont where I want to pull the trigger on one. I was hoping to get any advice/recommendations that anyone is willing to offer. I have been using the search function to find threads on newbie boat buyer topics, questions, etc. which has helped a lot, but I also figured maybe you guys would be able to give advice that is more specific to my situation. So maybe it'd help for me to give you guys some background info on myself, what I'm looking for, etc.

I'm a 29 y/o male living in St. Louis, MO and work as a mechanical design engineer. I thought I was a relatively young pup on this site, but reading some of the posts on here some of you guys are in your early 20's already in the OS scene! Good for you guys. I would've started earlier in life, but I ride/race motocross and that took up most of my time over the years. I've tapered off on the riding/racing and do it for fun on occasion anymore. My family had a Baja ski boat growing up, couple of my current friends have ski boats, and I've had a SeaDoo RXP jetski at my disposal the last few years, so I'm not a complete stranger to the water and have driven them. One friend has a 27' Wellcraft Nova w/twin 350's up in MI, which we go out on a couple times a year, so that is the extent of me being on any type of OS type boat.

As of right now I will be boating at LOTO only, at least for now, until/if I buy a larger truck down the road (currently have a Toyota Tacoma w/4.0). Plan is to have it dry stored/racked down there and have the marina dump it in the water for me. Most I'm willing to spend is in the $30's, although if the right boat comes along I may be willing to go higher. Looking for something late 90's-UP model, although would consider something older if it was clean and nice enough. Of all the boats I look at I keep coming back to Baja Outlaws, but will still consider other brands. I was originally looking at 25' OL's, but for LOTO I think I'll get beat up too much on the weekends with it? Anyone boat down there with these? I figured bumping up to a 29' OL with twins might be a decent compromise, maybe not too big for a first time boat but not too small for LOTO. Although the more I read & talk to people, it seems unless you're on a cruiser you'll be feeling the washing machine chop water down there on just about anything.

Also, I don't plan on having my first few outings on the boat during a busy weekend at LOTO. I figurd I'd go down there during the week when it's more mellow, drive the boat around, put some hours under my belt, get a feel for it, get familiar with it, etc.

So what do you guys think? Am I out of line starting out on a boat like that, spending that much, storing/racking it, etc? I'm open to comments, criticism, sharing personal experiences, or anything you have to offer. One thing I've learned in my 29 years is that time is valuable, especially your free time, and you get what you pay for. I'm willing to spend more money up front for something a little bit newer/nicer and avoid something that I'm going to be spending more time fixing than actually using.

I guess one thing I'm trying to avoid is buying a smaller boat to get my feet wet with, only to get tired of it quickly and wanting to upgrade. Seems it'd be a hassle, instead of just starting out on something bigger but respecting it and taking it slow/easy at first with it. Reminds me sort of my first motocross bike when I was little where I started out on a KX80 race bike, instead of a entry level trail bike. First ride or two were a little bit cautious, but after that it was no problem.

I guess this post kind of turned into a book, sorry about that and thank you to those who read through it. If there is any other info I can provide that may help you in providing advice/recommendations please let me know. Again, thank you to everyone for your time. I appreciate it.

Steve
Old 09-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered

Steve, welcome and I wish you the best in your search. I am also a local Missouri guy in Columbia, MO and age 29. My recommendation.....go with a 29 if you want a Baja and want to be in the 30's. If you search enough I'd bet you can find one lower to middle 30's, link below is a good start and even includes a trailer. You are in a great position to purchase a boat with no trade. Contact Brett w/Performance Boat Brokerage at LOTO along with other brokers/dealers in the area. LOTO is a popular Baja lake, especially for late 90's 29 outlaws. Put feelers out there and see what they can come up with. Good luck.

http://offshoreonly.com/classifieds/...o41270-en.html
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

At least a 29. Also check out the 32 caliber and 33 outlaw. Enjoy!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 69 Posts

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I dont think your truck will handle a 29 outlaw though. Just keep in mind cost for ins., fuel, maintenace, marina service as they can be more than expected sometimes for a first time owner. You should be able to find a nice boat within your price range. Look at as many boats as you can and have fun. Jason
Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Fountain 27 & 29s offer a good bang for your buck used I think. Good luck
Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

SteveO what mile marker are you at on LOTO My 26' cat handles 2-3 ft waves pretty good dont really like the 3' though makes me a little nervous but i stay around the 39mm water is not that bad
Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
SteveO what mile marker are you at on LOTO My 26' cat handles 2-3 ft waves pretty good dont really like the 3' though makes me a little nervous but i stay around the 39mm water is not that bad
I'm not at any one MM in particular. I just rent lodging when I'm down there, unless of course I'm staying with someone with a place there. This year we stayed at the Palisades condos off Horseshoe Bend at 13mm.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I dont think your truck will handle a 29 outlaw though. Just keep in mind cost for ins., fuel, maintenace, marina service as they can be more than expected sometimes for a first time owner. You should be able to find a nice boat within your price range. Look at as many boats as you can and have fun. Jason
You may have misread over my original post as I'm not planning on towing it with my truck, obviously due to it being too small. So I'm gonna have it dry stored at a marina. Yeah I think a lot of newbies getting into boating for first time have no idea that buying the boat is just one piece of the monetary puzzle, it's the fuel, insurance, etc. that you have to be able to keep up with also.

I see you're in Grand Haven, that's where I was talking about going in my original post with my friend with the Wellcraft Nova. Love it up there during the 4th and Coast Guard Festival, especially Hanky Pank!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

check out the 35 fountain on stl craigslist. it is sweet if he will include the trailer it would be a buy !! you cant buy a cleaner boat . it is stored on a lift at bergers. Btw I have no conection to the boat,.I
Old 09-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by flat rate
check out the 35 fountain on stl craigslist. it is sweet if he will include the trailer it would be a buy !! you cant buy a cleaner boat . it is stored on a lift at bergers. Btw I have no conection to the boat,.I
I remember seeing that one the other day while browsing craigslist. You know what year that boat is? Have you seen this boat in person? I know you said you have no connection to it, but I was wondering if you knew anything more about it. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.