Like Tree0Likes

Accident in ocean city

Old 09-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Registered

My Boats: 33 POWERPLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliem View Post
If it where my boat, I would want to know the current condition of the boat completly before making or accepting any offers to buy the boat back. Also if I could possibly save anything to make the boat worth fixing I would. So, I see no point in your comment.
Dunked in salt, pics online... get the insurance check and run...
Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

charliem--you can do that once the claim is final. You can jepordize the insurance co. denying the claim--I am not insinuating that this man did anything wrong but he could have his claim deny'd. Its clear its a total loss and therefore it would no longer be the owners property to mess with, work on, take off parts, begin to fix, etc. Much too often people who have to fix things and people who buy things at auction end up finding out there are missing parts and thus its a nightmare as well as added expense. The insurance co pay the high value and expect to recover a fair amount -residual in salavge auction to offset the claim--you think they would want say a Ing computer-ECM for a car left behind or someone keeping it when they are paying for the actual wreck and whats left. Then when their claims get denied they are on here *****ing and moaning...its worse when it carries onto innocent boaters.

Everyone is on here complaining about high insurance???

Charlie--for future reference when a boat rolls or is submerged its considered a total. If it were a repair situation you simply get authorization from the adjuster to open it up to determine the true scope of the damage and all is fine!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1994 Formula 303 SR1 "Facets"

glad all is ok, boats can be replaced
Old 09-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Registered

of course, thank god for everyones well being first and formost---i only repost so its not over looked.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout

If a boat goes under, first course of action is to contact the insurance company and get permission to begin a salvage operation. Sometimes the adjuster will want to see the boat before giving the go-ahead to start saving things that can be saved, other times the adjuster will give permission to start the operation.

For all we know he already contacted his insurance agent and they gave him permission to start the salvage but I'm not going to speculate. Either way time is of the essence when a boat goes down, especially in salt water.

In addition, I've seen a few go over or sink in salt water that are just as good if not better than the day they were built.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

My Boats: 42 Fountain 700's , 42 MTI 1000's , 42 Fountain 900's , 41 Velocity 900's , 30 Velocity 750's , 33 Fountain 630's

I would pickle the engines and what to see if the adjuster is reasonable . I bought my boat insurance salvage back , but it took a lot of haggling . It was the insurance adjusters job to get as much as possible for any salvage . I think if it's totaled they will own it pending your acceptance of the settlement offer . Then you have the option to buy the salvage back and subtract it from their check . Pretty sure that's standard for the industry . It's not a happy memory for me , I took a beating on that deal

Last edited by notda1; 09-21-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: 42 Fountain 700's , 42 MTI 1000's , 42 Fountain 900's , 41 Velocity 900's , 30 Velocity 750's , 33 Fountain 630's

Is this Brians old boat ?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28 Skater 2.5's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
Read the article and thread.
your a tool..
Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja555 View Post
your a tool..
Yes......I am very handy and useful. (your should be you're......as in "you are".....a contraction)

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 09-21-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: 42 Outerlimits GTX

The owner is responsible to do whatever is required to protect further damage to the boat. Read the fine print on your policy.

The devil is in the details ! It will take at least 6 months to settle, I unfortunately have 1st hand knowledge.

For some reason insurance companies get a little pissy when they have to pay a claim the first week of ownership.

Nobody got hurt, everyone walked away... still damn shame nice boat.