Outerlimits sets new record >

Outerlimits sets new record

Notices

Outerlimits sets new record

Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
Which boat is that in your avitar? cant tell.
It's a 30 foot Chris Cat. My Dad had one as a pleasure boat when us kids were growing up. Such a cool boat!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Honestly I think the Ilmor is a tough engine to beat for this type of racing. They are tough as nails, run strong, and get pretty decent fuel ecconomy. The Indy drive is a great drive too, although I think an Arneson might be a better drive for long distance endurance racing.

OL is IMO years ahead of the competition in their hull design and even more so in their layup schedule/materials. So IMO, the light and efficient OL vee hull beating out the old cat record is no real suprise either.

With that said, purpose built racers could no doubt smash this record in the right conditions. A large light weight cat with big diesel power comes to mind...
I totally agree......that is my point.....I would think Mercury Racing or a Builder like Skater would like to see that record as theirs.....hopefully then a few more boats would show up next year....As a matter of fact I think the record would help a custom engine builder more then one of the big guys.......when a boat can run all out for that distance it says something about their product......
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
I apologize if I offended or insulted anyone with my comments. My point was that I am excited to see the interest generated by Charlie, Billy, and all of the participants and volunteers.

I can only hope that Charlie and Billy continue their efforts and that this is the rebirth of offshore racing.

Are there any preliminary plans to bring back any of the other "lost" events?
No apology necessary, we are all working together on this.

Here is what we are trying to do.......
HORBA set out as it's goals:
1.) To save the old race boats before they are cut up and thrown away.
2.) To have some venues that the old boats could be seen and the new competitors have a chance to race real open ocean racing like the old days.
3.) We wanted to have courses that would be at least 200 miles for a minimum.
4.) We wanted dates far enough apart, that would allow the owners of the boats racing, not to take a lot of time away from their businesses.
5.) We wanted different geographical locations, like the old days.
6.) We wanted to create an atmosphere that anyone would be welcome. If you come with an 18 foot Donzi or the latest 50 foot behomoth, you were a racer and you are one of us.

I have been getting some interesting calls since this race happened a few days ago and here is what I have told them for dates and locations.

Northeast....September 3rd week. Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island race, 271 miles. This is a dead week for sports news. The World Series hasn't begun, football is just getting started, the US Open is over and the papers will be hungry for any new kind of sports news. A sponsor could dominate the NY metro area with their name as sponsor of this race in this time slot.

Southeast....November. The weekend before the racing week starts in Key West. Fort Lauderdale to Key West 200 miles.
It does not interfere with either the racing or the poker run that all come after this date.

West Coast.....April.....Long Beach to San Francisco. 439 miles. The weekend before the Desert Storm Poker Run. At the end of April a lot of people take their boats back home from Florida, some go to the Desert Storm, so why not do a race too.

A three race circuit with plenty of time between races to pay attention to your business.

HORBA has a location in Florida that any teams that run the NY race in September, can store their boat and go to OFF in October and then bring you r boat to Fort Lauderdale for the November race.

HORBA will give you 910 miles of racing for the year and a chance to see plenty of the country...BTW the San Fran race was won in the past by a Formula 233 with a single engine for power.

Last edited by Top Banana; 09-27-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was mention earlier of a race on Lake Michigan as well. Any thought to that?

Loving these ideas strictly as a fan at this point. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really think if HORBA joined forces with OPA they would really be on to something....

Always get a total kick out of the offshore comparisons, kinda like trying to argue whats best drag baja indy nascar, etc.

Like to see how many of the old timers would willing to take the corners that today's racers do! Running 50 in big waves is one thing, taking a turn at 150 (hell 70!) is another!!!

Glad to see this race a success. My recommendation (and take it as just that) is to run these along side an OPA, etc and make it a big event! Would be cool to run these guys on saturday then have the other classes run sunday. Race weekends could use more going on for the fans.

Sunny Isles for the Bimini run as usual
Long Island race for your Don Aronow Memorial
Port Huron for your Great Lakes Run

Add in a poker run both on land and water and now THAT would be three GREAT adrenaline fueled weekends!!!!

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 09-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

It's been a great week all around for V-10's.

Dodge Viper SRT10® ACR Reclaims Production Car Lap Record at Nurburgring With 7:12.13

PR Newswire
11:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time Sep 27, 2011
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Sept. 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

Veteran GT driver Dominik Farnbacher pilots street-legal, 600-horsepower 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR (American Club Racer) to new record lap at the world's most demanding road course – the famed 12.9-mile Nurburgring Nordschleife (north course)

Sorry for the off topic - congrats to the winners
Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Dodge Viper SRT10® ACR Reclaims Production Car Lap Record at Nurburgring With 7:12.13

PR Newswire

Veteran GT driver Dominik Farnbacher pilots street-legal, 600-horsepower 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR (American Club Racer) to new record lap at the world's most demanding road course – the famed 12.9-mile Nurburgring Nordschleife (north course)
Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
It's been a great week all around for V-10's.

PR Newswire

Sorry for the off topic - congrats to the winners

Thats equivalent to the Oreca Prepared FIA GT3 racers I've crewed. Great News!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Look, somewhere this has gotten off track as to our feelings re racers of today. As far back as you can find in my posts, I have always said that a racer is a racer. The only reason the offshore racer of today is on the shore course, is because that is where the promoters and race organizations put him..If there were a race down a flooded street in Hoboken, there would be racers that show up. We are not now and never have criticized other racers.

What we HORBA and NPBA, are trying to do, is to open up the eyes of boat owners that there is a real test of both man and equipment that can be had by redoing some of the old race courses. We proved that with this 271 mile race in honor of Don Aronow.

If more people come out and try it, sooner or later a better breed of boat will be made, as some of the stuff today just honestly wouldn't make it. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday. Once that becomes a reality, then you will see the manufacturers jumping back in to prove that they make a product that can really be used in a safe manner out of sight of land.

With this past win of Ilmor, in the old days Carl Kiekhaefer would have been back at Fond du Lac running dynos non-stop to make sure that Mercury would be the winner next time. That is the passion we need to see again in the sport.

Rich and Scot and some others thanks for your thoughtful supporting comments.
Well said !!!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Any info on the outboard boat? Was it a 38 Fountain center console?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.