Outerlimits sets new record

Notices

Outerlimits sets new record

Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
The date for next year's Third Annual Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Race is September 22, 2012.

Plenty of time to prepare............

Now is the time to start getting ready....make a plan, make a checklist, start today....before you know it... it will be here.

There will be a entry and deposit cut off date for this race in 2012. Deposits must be in by that date. Definite date will be published later, probably April or May of next year.

Good luck with your decision on hull and power.....now that it has been done non-stop, that sets the new standard for the overall winner to shoot for.
Why not make it on a weekend that Doesnt conflict with other boating events? Thats why we couldnt make it. I bet youd gain a few OPA boats
Old 09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Any word from Joe and Joe on how the ride was? Were they comfortable? They were in there a long time. Any issues, or was it problem free?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Why not make it on a weekend that Doesnt conflict with other boating events? Thats why we couldnt make it. I bet youd gain a few OPA boats
For the past two years Billy and Charlie have contacted OPA in advance to find an open date.......

Both years the date was later scheduled by OPA.........

I wonder if a vibrant NPBA/HORBA event is really complimentary to OPA's business plan? If a bunch of OPA guys get a taste for unrestricted ocean racing....does that bode well for GPS circle racing? Personally I would discourage NPBA from having a joint sanction if the GPS speed rules are included in a 200 plus mile race where you might cross the finish line first only to be penalized because you "broke out".

Bottom line the conflict with OPA race dates is not NPBA/Horba's fault....... and I wonder if you could get a "guaranteed" open date from your leadership? It hasn't worked so far...and I don't believe in coincidences.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
For the past two years Billy and Charlie have contacted OPA in advance to find an open date.......

maybe my memory fails me but didnt last year NPBA schedule only to have OPA book. then NPBA changed its date and so did OPA.

i guess if there is any vindication the OPA race was canceled/high seas and NPBA ran.

Last edited by wanab; 09-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
With all due respect......for the first year, we set a date. We were contacted and asked if we wouldmove that date, because it conflicted with a race date that had already been planned and scheduled.

We moved the date per the request. As the time got closer, guess what...the other organization changed their pre scheduled date to the same date we had.

This year, we set the date very early as we are doing again....so everyone would know the date and perhaps consider it, when they scheduled their own and secondly, to allow any European teams runnng in Cowes, to be able to do Cowes and have time to ship over for this race.

Guess what.....the other organization set their race date on the same date we did...... and no Europeans showed up.

So once again with all due respect, this is our date....Sept 22, 2012, we have an endurance event that takes a different boat than the shore racing does. Everyone is welcome, but we are over moving our date to try to satisfy anyone else.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike d lets team up and run the pantera, i will help out with the costs and i can get 100ll fuel for 6.00 a gallon.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

You have set your dates one year in advance. While in a perfect world no other organization would schedule on top of your event, you can't count on that, at least if we're using history as you described it as a guide. You've already done the best thing you can to protect your event by setting the date early. Strong move.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Originally Posted by Top Banana
With all due respect......for the first year, we set a date. We were contacted and asked if we wouldmove that date, because it conflicted with a race date that had already been planned and scheduled.

We moved the date per the request. As the time got closer, guess what...the other organization changed their pre scheduled date to the same date we had.

This year, we set the date very early as we are doing again....so everyone would know the date and perhaps consider it, when they scheduled their own and secondly, to allow any European teams runnng in Cowes, to be able to do Cowes and have time to ship over for this race.

Guess what.....the other organization set their race date on the same date we did...... and no Europeans showed up.

So once again with all due respect, this is our date....Sept 22, 2012, we have an endurance event that takes a different boat than the shore racing does. Everyone is welcome, but we are over moving our date to try to satisfy anyone else.
Thanks for the Clarification, understood
Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Originally Posted by T2x

I wonder if a vibrant NPBA/HORBA event is really complimentary to OPA's business plan? If a bunch of OPA guys get a taste for unrestricted ocean racing....does that bode well for GPS circle racing? Personally I would discourage NPBA from having a joint sanction if the GPS speed rules are included in a 200 plus mile race where you might cross the finish line first only to be penalized because you "broke out".

Bottom line the conflict with OPA race dates is not NPBA/Horba's fault....... and I wonder if you could get a "guaranteed" open date from your leadership? It hasn't worked so far...and I don't believe in coincidences.
GPS racing may not be as rugged as the old school racing is (Just ask My father ) but its also not as expensive. Its the only way people like my father and I can go racing. It works for us.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Then you're the fringe of the fringe. Not a bad thing but your not addressing the previous point of the popularity of the sport.
Yes One might consider me one, one a sidenote I don't care much of spectator popularity either It's nice to have and fun to talk to people and tell about "this thing of ours".
I just like others who think likewise to show up-- well that's popularity too.
Adressing the problem.
Well offshore is a form of motorsport which never has attracted the big crowd ...maybe all racers combined in the world would be 200-300. Then again that's just as much as some olympic sports...
It will be always be a close knitted group but Open to the fans considering other forms of motorsport.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 09-28-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.