Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing >

Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Notices

Rich Luhrs Commentary: Endurance Presents a “New Model" for Offshore Racing

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Sorry for hijacking the thread everyone.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Sorry for hijacking the thread everyone.
I agree,
Sorry for getting off course here.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about ricky bobby ?
Shake n bake. ..
Get back on track you hill billies

For nascar discussions go to
Www. toothlessinbreadretards. Com

Last edited by scarab63; 10-12-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BattleCry
Matt,

You make some valid points, when it comes to boat construction. However, one variable you left out is Sea Conditions, in open ocean racing. Mike A and his APBA Offshore LLC use to call races off due to rough conditions. I'm still not sure what kind of "Offshore Racing" that is. Rough Seas and the abuse these boats take because of them can leave even the best builders scratching their heads. Fast is the name of the game, as well as stamina.

Most of the reasons why I go to events is the atmosphere and party lifestyle. The "man or team versus machine and the elements" is the testament to courage, stamina, and sheer will. What I am trying to say is, I show up for the atmosphere to be in the presense of others that I can relate to. I can't relate well with those in the current "Offshore Racing" community. The open ocean or open water format is something that most, if not, all boaters has done at one time or another. Meaning, racing from point A to point B and sometimes back. Not setting up a course with 5 or 10 turns.

Brad,

Your races are great and the venue is wonderful. However, I do not agree with your scheduling dates. My personal opinion is, that, it should be held earlier in year, like around March. So that it doesn't occur during the higher insurance hurricane season.

BA
We called off races because it was too rough? I remember three instances: Palm Beach the day a hurricane was off the coast and it was raining. The seas were too big to keep turn boats anchored, and our S/F boat took a 15 footer over the bow and stuffed on the way out, knocking her crew to the floor. We ran the race the following day in 20 foot swells basically over the objections of the local USCG commander. We wound up speaking to regional commander who had a lot of experience with us and the sport in general and he talked local commander into letting us run.

The other time was in Buffalo 2000. We could not get safety or turn assets outside the breakwall and inside the breakwall was too narrow so we cancelled.

The third time was KW and we were forced by local law enforcement and govenrment officials to evacuate.

We ran in some big water - Daytona 2000 comes to mind, and Corpus Christi too.

The bottom line is that both endurance and "inshore" stadium style offshore racing are cool, but present their own problems for race producers. I have video and photos from when my dad raced in the 1970's showing the offshore boats running through sail boat race fleets, fishing tournament fleets, etc. I am not sure that we could do that today without getting arrested!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.