Notices

Taking boat off trailer

Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

I'll take some pics. Of the tongue...at the point where it would need to swing there's 3 beams that come together, not sure if that can be done.

Taking off two drives and a swim platform, I didn't want to do that twice a year...

Jeff that's a great description, thank you.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe, maybe not see how far you can jack up the front of the trailer , as it get's higher it should get shorter ?
i think
Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

another crazy idea.
i can't tell from the pic how much room you have side to side . but if you have some room maybe put some wheel dolly's under the trailer so you can move the back end more side way's to make it fit .
Old 09-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this goofball should just add onto the garage!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Unless I had a set of yard arms, I would rather remove two drives and a swim platform vs. jacking the boat off the trailer with "hand tools."

Or make a "bump out box" out the back wall that the drives and swim platform will slip into.

Or buy another garage door and cut it to fit the tongue sticking thru it, and save the original door for when you sell.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

I use a automotive lift to lift boats off the trailers.works like a champ you could also store two cars in one stall in your garage if you have the celing height.i have a friend that sells and installs them if interested and if you have a extra 1600-2600 you need to part with .Im also in chicago land...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
I think this goofball should just add onto the garage!!!
I wish I would have known that for me 2' itis would turn into 8' itis..

I should have gone 4' bigger dammit!

FIX that sound interesting actually.hmmmm

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 09-30-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered

Now that's a nice fix.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more interested in just what your gonna do to that thing over the winter that's worth all this trouble, and all this risk, that you can't do in a few weekends in the spring?

I'll email you pics of my 36 up. The right tools to use are dedicated hydraulic lifts (4) and marine screw jacks. We used 4 hydraulic jacks as shown to lift the boat off the trailer, then put the screw jacks in as we pulled the trailer out. And the boat did have to go pretty high (probably about a foot or so) to clear all the trailer OK after the springs unload and leave clearance.
And I will tell you that while supported like this, I was NOT comfortable working on, in or especially under it still.

I'm sure there are other ways using "hand" tools, but no matter what use lots of wood.
And takin off the swim platform is also a pita, and eventually your screw holes might leak.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You metioned a gantry, if you have access to one with a 2 ton winch you can strap the boat in the back & mount a smaller one in the front rafters & strap the bow eye. That is how we took boats off of semis & mounted them to their trailers. In your case I would set the boat on foam blocks or extend the back of the garage as ICDEDPPL did but you will have to check building codes to do that. That would also be the safest way by far. Myself im extending my garage 18 ft since the building permit will allow me to go up to 5 ft from my property line, Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.